Remote start, Does the G80 have one?

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
2018+ uses 4G LTE as well. already been discussed in other threads, even get a 4G symbol on the Display when it is active (sport/ultimate models, can't speak to the basic model)
Ah ok. Guess they didn't do that for the G70. I thought they were still using 3G for all of their vehicles. Hope that trickles down then.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Ah ok. Guess they didn't do that for the G70. I thought they were still using 3G for all of their vehicles. Hope that trickles down then.
US or Canada.

Genesis uses CDMA, Canada (and most other countries) don't support CDMA, that is why bluelink in Canada is different..

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
US. I've heard it's slow to respond in Canada too from what people mention in the forums.
be willing to bet it is an undersized data center for the # of users and not the wireless network.

OnStar has 3 major call/data centers in North America, 2 in the US and 1 in Canada. with over 2000 servers at each location to handle the data requests, Their subscriber operators take in up to 100,000 calls per month and over 180,000 data transactions per week, and as of Q3 2018 over 3 million subscribers.

Hyundai Bluelink on the other hand has one call center for the US in Fountain Valley, and one for Canada in Ontario, and has yet to reach 1 million subscribers even offering it for free for 3 years. Bluelink and the call center is Hyundai owned and operated, debuted in 2012, and only operates in the US, Canada (limited) and Korean markets. and until 2014 used the Sprint network (yuck), but the data services are provided by a third party called Covisint Corp, who also supports, Land Rover/Jag, Mitshubishi, and Diamler.

OnStar has been around since 1996, and is a separate entity from GM, operating in 8 major markets (US, Canada, China, Mexico, Europe, BRazil, Argentina, Australia and New Zealand).

There is a significant difference in the size, operation, and technology between the two providers, Bluelink is still learning to walk.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I agree remote start should be a fob action, not a subscription service. while the app/subscription service is nice, one should not be required to have it to get this functionality.

Lexus pulled the same B.S. and took it one step further, they activate key fob remote start when you have the subscription, but if you let it lapse they disable the Fob as well as the app.

With all the technology in the Genesis, they are still lacking some IMO basic features for a car at this level that their competitors DO offer.

key fob remote start
key fob linking to memory functions
key fob ability to roll down windows and open sunroof
Touch entry doors (not the push button crap)
ability to determine the setting for remote start lighting (flash, solid or no lights)

guess one has to take the good with the bad. great price point for what is offered, but missing some features that should be there, but would raise the price point slightly.
I also left Cadillac for the same reason. I purchased the 2019 g90 and was surprised that the seat warmers/coolers do not come on automatically and can not be turned on remotely.

bubbaG80Sport

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Tennessee
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 2018 G80 Sport consistently takes about 40-45 seconds to remote start regardless of location of vehicle. I don't think it is the speed of the cellular network. I speculate the amount of data transferred for the remote start is 1000 bytes worst case. 3G (oldest cellular technology used today) transmits data at 384Kbps/48KBs -> 2Mbps/250KBs.

Vehicles that support remote smart via key fob are sending the start signal directly to the car, so vehicle start is quick.

The remote start using a mobile application like BlueLink over cellular network likely works differently. The mobile "app" notifies the BlueLink Cloud/datacenter requesting a remote start. The car connects periodically to BlueLink and checks for any commands. The car to Bluelink connection is likely not real-time (to conserve vehicle battery). Based on my experience the car check-in to BlueLink is probably every 30 seconds.

Above is all speculation at this point.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 2018 G80 Sport consistently takes about 40-45 seconds to remote start regardless of location of vehicle. I don't think it is the speed of the cellular network. I speculate the amount of data transferred for the remote start is 1000 bytes worst case. 3G (oldest cellular technology used today) transmits data at 384Kbps/48KBs -> 2Mbps/250KBs.

Vehicles that support remote smart via key fob are sending the start signal directly to the car, so vehicle start is quick.

The remote start using a mobile application like BlueLink over cellular network likely works differently. The mobile "app" notifies the BlueLink Cloud/datacenter requesting a remote start. The car connects periodically to BlueLink and checks for any commands. The car to Bluelink connection is likely not real-time (to conserve vehicle battery). Based on my experience the car check-in to BlueLink is probably every 30 seconds.

Above is all speculation at this point.

The vehicle has a cellular device in it (located under the center console in the g80), it is a data only connection, the data center is dialing the cars "number" contained on said device and sending the request to the vehicle, no different that you sending a text to a friend, only difference is the system is sending a command line, not a text message.

The car doesn't poll the data network for remote start or remote lock/unlock requests, the command is sent from the data center to the car like dialing a phone number.

The car doesn't even poll it's monthly vehicle report, that is setup in your user account and the data center sends the request asking the vehicle to send back the diagnostics, like a scheduled task on a server. All communication is originated at the data center, with the exception of Accident alerts which originate from the vehicle when the telematics detect an accident.

The cellular device stays in a standby low power mode (like your phone), and I suspect the reason it times out after 96 hours (4 days) is to save the battery. as according to the documentation you can't remote start if the car sits for more than 4 days.

Now my car sat for 14 days while I was on vacation and the Alexa app was able to remote start my car when I returned to work, however during that 14 days while the car wasn't driven I did open and close it several times and it may have been started by my detailer, I'm not sure, because sometimes he moves the cars if/when he gets on my roof to clean my solar panels. I wasn't home, and my house sitter (mom-in-law) doesn't recall.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The cellular device stays in a standby low power mode (like your phone), and I suspect the reason it times out after 96 hours (4 days) is to save the battery. as according to the documentation you can't remote start if the car sits for more than 4 days.

Now my car sat for 14 days while I was on vacation and the Alexa app was able to remote start my car when I returned to work, however during that 14 days while the car wasn't driven I did open and close it several times and it may have been started by my detailer, I'm not sure, because sometimes he moves the cars if/when he gets on my roof to clean my solar panels. I wasn't home, and my house sitter (mom-in-law) doesn't recall.
I have to wonder, if every third day you sent a command to unlock and lock doors if that would keep it open. Though you can start and stop too.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have to wonder, if every third day you sent a command to unlock and lock doors if that would keep it open. Though you can start and stop too.

would be curious as well, and you don't have to unlock then lock you can just send a lock command, even if locked the car will go through the lock command, the locks will lock (even though already locked) and the lights will flash.

I've done this sometimes when I can't remember if I have locked the car or not before bed. So I have Alexa send the command, I tested my theory just t be sure that the command went through, doesn't matter if the car is locked or not the command will go through.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Could you please explain what you mean by “keep it open”. Do you mean keep it unlocked? If so I don’t see why it would.

It certainly doesn’t fulfill the requirement for having it started in the last four days.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Could you please explain what you mean by “keep it open”. Do you mean keep it unlocked? If so I don’t see why it would.

It certainly doesn’t fulfill the requirement for having it started in the last four days.
By "keep it open" I mean the communications to start the car after 4 days.
Correct, if starting is the actual requirement. Though that is what is stated, it may just be contact with the system. Only way to prove it is to leave your car sit for 5 days and try it. Of course, you can start your car remotely every three days and then shut it off too.

What do I base this on? Reading instruction manuals that don't give all the information. I've see many manuals that state: Perform A, B, C, D, E, F but in reality, you can do A, B, H and be done.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
By "keep it open" I mean the communications to start the car after 4 days.
Correct, if starting is the actual requirement. Though that is what is stated, it may just be contact with the system. Only way to prove it is to leave your car sit for 5 days and try it. Of course, you can start your car remotely every three days and then shut it off too.

What do I base this on? Reading instruction manuals that don't give all the information. I've see many manuals that state: Perform A, B, C, D, E, F but in reality, you can do A, B, H and be done.
Understandable. So can anyone report that they were unable to remotely start their car after 4 days of being unused?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.