Remote start, Does the G80 have one?

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
2018+ uses 4G LTE as well. already been discussed in other threads, even get a 4G symbol on the Display when it is active (sport/ultimate models, can't speak to the basic model)
Ah ok. Guess they didn't do that for the G70. I thought they were still using 3G for all of their vehicles. Hope that trickles down then.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Jim C

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I agree remote start should be a fob action, not a subscription service. while the app/subscription service is nice, one should not be required to have it to get this functionality.

Lexus pulled the same B.S. and took it one step further, they activate key fob remote start when you have the subscription, but if you let it lapse they disable the Fob as well as the app.

With all the technology in the Genesis, they are still lacking some IMO basic features for a car at this level that their competitors DO offer.

key fob remote start
key fob linking to memory functions
key fob ability to roll down windows and open sunroof
Touch entry doors (not the push button crap)
ability to determine the setting for remote start lighting (flash, solid or no lights)

guess one has to take the good with the bad. great price point for what is offered, but missing some features that should be there, but would raise the price point slightly.
I also left Cadillac for the same reason. I purchased the 2019 g90 and was surprised that the seat warmers/coolers do not come on automatically and can not be turned on remotely.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 2018 G80 Sport consistently takes about 40-45 seconds to remote start regardless of location of vehicle. I don't think it is the speed of the cellular network. I speculate the amount of data transferred for the remote start is 1000 bytes worst case. 3G (oldest cellular technology used today) transmits data at 384Kbps/48KBs -> 2Mbps/250KBs.

Vehicles that support remote smart via key fob are sending the start signal directly to the car, so vehicle start is quick.

The remote start using a mobile application like BlueLink over cellular network likely works differently. The mobile "app" notifies the BlueLink Cloud/datacenter requesting a remote start. The car connects periodically to BlueLink and checks for any commands. The car to Bluelink connection is likely not real-time (to conserve vehicle battery). Based on my experience the car check-in to BlueLink is probably every 30 seconds.

Above is all speculation at this point.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The cellular device stays in a standby low power mode (like your phone), and I suspect the reason it times out after 96 hours (4 days) is to save the battery. as according to the documentation you can't remote start if the car sits for more than 4 days.

Now my car sat for 14 days while I was on vacation and the Alexa app was able to remote start my car when I returned to work, however during that 14 days while the car wasn't driven I did open and close it several times and it may have been started by my detailer, I'm not sure, because sometimes he moves the cars if/when he gets on my roof to clean my solar panels. I wasn't home, and my house sitter (mom-in-law) doesn't recall.
I have to wonder, if every third day you sent a command to unlock and lock doors if that would keep it open. Though you can start and stop too.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Could you please explain what you mean by “keep it open”. Do you mean keep it unlocked? If so I don’t see why it would.

It certainly doesn’t fulfill the requirement for having it started in the last four days.
By "keep it open" I mean the communications to start the car after 4 days.
Correct, if starting is the actual requirement. Though that is what is stated, it may just be contact with the system. Only way to prove it is to leave your car sit for 5 days and try it. Of course, you can start your car remotely every three days and then shut it off too.

What do I base this on? Reading instruction manuals that don't give all the information. I've see many manuals that state: Perform A, B, C, D, E, F but in reality, you can do A, B, H and be done.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Stevendom1987

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Understandable. So can anyone report that they were unable to remotely start their car after 4 days of being unused?
Yes, I went out of the country over the holidays and after 4 days it would not respond to me any more.

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just did a test on my 2018 G80 Ultimate; Remote Start Sent. Message returned that it couldn't be done because the doors weren't locked. Sent a Lock Doors; Msg return, Doors Locked. Sent Start, car started and ran smoothly. 'Course lights flashed responding to the Requests. And finely, Sent a Stop, and it did. Seems all is working well. BTW, the last time I used the remotes was last October.

Stevendom1987

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Just did a test on my 2018 G80 Ultimate; Remote Start Sent. Message returned that it couldn't be done because the doors weren't locked. Sent a Lock Doors; Msg return, Doors Locked. Sent Start, car started and ran smoothly. 'Course lights flashed responding to the Requests. And finely, Sent a Stop, and it did. Seems all is working well. BTW, the last time I used the remotes was last October.
Yes but you haven't gone 4 straight days without starting your car. You don't need to use the remote features every 4 days, you just can't go 4 days without starting or locking/unlocking your car.

As I confirmed earlier in the thread, I was overseas for two weeks between XMas & New Years and didn't start my car. I tried sending it a signal the 6th or 7th day to remote start and it did not respond. I asked my wife who was home to start it with the key and it began responding again after she did that.

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
'Wonder if sending a command via the App on every third day would reset what seems to be a four day dormet period. I'll try making this test but I doubt I can abstain from driving my G80 that long. <G> Love this car; each morning my first chore of the day is go out and get Annie a Mocha; take the 12 mile route to go to the Mocha Stand 4 miles away.<G> The only other car I enjoyed this much was one of my first, a '30 Model A some ~60 years ago.

Eve

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not only does my new Genesis G80 not have blulink but also had to cancel my XM subscription to traffic because it doesn't have that either. My 2015 had XM traffic and remote start also. The Hyundai dealer told me that almost all their Hyundai's have blue link and also remote start, cars that cost about 1/4 of mine, frustrated for sure.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Genesis Canada now sell a remote starter for the 2018 G80 sport that the dealership can install. It works with the factory remote by pressing lock then the panic/alarm button 3 times fast and runs for about 10min. Cost me a pretty penny but totally worth it for the cold weather here!
I'm getting mine installed tomorrow! How is the range btw?