Smart Trunk opening in the night

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
A "shade tree mechanic" way to troubleshoot this is to open/close the trunk with the fob multiple times.

Rolling code works by incrementing the counter in the receiver (car) and transmitter (fob) each time a successful code is transmitted. It is fairly common for this counter to be different between the fob and car. For example kids playing/pushing buttons on key fob when car is out of range. To address this engineers design the receiver to accept the next X codes. X is typically about 100.

For example:
Problem causing (PC) transmitter and Genesis key fob and Genesis receiver are all at rolling code counter 10.
Press the Genesis fob opening/closing the trunk 100 times. Be careful not to run the car battery dead/down.
This would set the car receiver and fob at counter 110. Subsequent attempts by the PC transmitter would fail (counter = 10,11,12,13).

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That is a cause and affect argument fallacy. Turning on my windshield wipers does not mean it caused it to rain.
I don't understand what you are implying.

The OPs issue is that his trunk is opening for an unexplained reason. My theory is interference from another electronic transmitter is causing this.

your argument against that is that the possibility of that happening is "highly unlikely".

how is my argument a fallacy?

It is directly related to the OPs issue, if my fob/transmitter can interfere with another brand of vehicle resulting in that vehicles receiver responding to my fobs transmission, it is completely possible another brand of fob/transmitter can interfere with his vehicle resulting in his receiver responding to that transmission.

There is no fallacy there, it is completely within the realm of possibilities seeing as something similar with the Genesis brand has occurred, and I can replicate the act every time I am near that van.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
A "shade tree mechanic" way to troubleshoot this is to open/close the trunk with the fob multiple times.

Rolling code works by incrementing the counter in the receiver (car) and transmitter (fob) each time a successful code is transmitted. It is fairly common for this counter to be different between the fob and car. For example kids playing/pushing buttons on key fob when car is out of range. To address this engineers design the receiver to accept the next X codes. X is typically about 100.

For example:
Problem causing (PC) transmitter and Genesis key fob and Genesis receiver are all at rolling code counter 10.
Press the Genesis fob opening/closing the trunk 100 times. Be careful not to run the car battery dead/down.
This would set the car receiver and fob at counter 110. Subsequent attempts by the PC transmitter would fail (counter = 10,11,12,13).

which doesn't make sense with the issue I have had with the Toyota van, I open my trunk at least 2 times daily with my fob, at home to load my work bag into the trunk and at work when I leave to home, sometimes I use the fob rather than the dash button when I arrive at work or home, sometimes I don't. therefore my codes should be all out of sync with the van over the course of 6 months.

yet every time I am near that Toyota van, I trigger its trunk hatch when I either lock or unlock my G80, I see that van several times a month at my daughters school and if we are parked within 20-30 feet of each other, I pop her trunk every time. It has been happening since September 2018, it just happened again last Wednesday..

onmark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
One factor to rememmber that the 4 times this as happened was in the middle of the night.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

WPB

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
True, but doesn't have to be "strange". Know anyone in your neighborhood who routinely comes home late (e.g. bar owner) or gets up early (e.g. baker).

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
which doesn't make sense with the issue I have had with the Toyota van, I open my trunk at least 2 times daily with my fob, at home to load my work bag into the trunk and at work when I leave to home, sometimes I use the fob rather than the dash button when I arrive at work or home, sometimes I don't. therefore my codes should be all out of sync with the van over the course of 6 months.

yet every time I am near that Toyota van, I trigger its trunk hatch when I either lock or unlock my G80, I see that van several times a month at my daughters school and if we are parked within 20-30 feet of each other, I pop her trunk every time. It has been happening since September 2018, it just happened again last Wednesday..
If the toyota is designed to use a rolling code and you are able to affect it with your fob then the Toyota has either a design or manufacturing flaw in the circuitry that makes it susceptible to the frequency and signal strength from your FOB. That would mean the design was not sufficiently tested during the evaluation phase and the susceptibility was missed. Any circuit can go into oscillation due to an external RF signal if it is not properly designed and manufactured.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If the toyota is designed to use a rolling code and you are able to affect it with your fob then the Toyota has either a design or manufacturing flaw in the circuitry that makes it susceptible to the frequency and signal strength from your FOB. That would mean the design was not sufficiently tested during the evaluation phase and the susceptibility was missed. Any circuit can go into oscillation due to an external RF signal if it is not properly designed and manufactured.
and it is entirely possible that Hyundai has the same issue.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Paulsr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I don't question your conclusion but what does it take to make it perfect? Does the cost go from a $50 fob and receiver to a $500 or $1000 one? Automotive design is loaded with compromise. They may be well aware of shortcomings but the budget says "good enough".
Yes, engineers would test it and improve it forever if they were allowed to.

onmark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Last visit to Dealer - They kept car three days and said the trunk never opened for them. Suprise! I did learn there is a cutoff switch in the glove box that keeps the trunk totally disconnected. The dash switch wasn't stopping the opening at night so I just use the glovebox switch at night.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last visit to Dealer - They kept car three days and said the trunk never opened for them. Suprise! I did learn there is a cutoff switch in the glove box that keeps the trunk totally disconnected. The dash switch wasn't stopping the opening at night so I just use the glovebox switch at night.

too bad you can't just sit outside wait for it to happen to see what causes it.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
@EdP Looks like @onmark has determined a workaround for the issue and "thrown in the towel" on resolving the issue. We may never have definitive proof on the root cause of the issue.

Do you want to call our bet null/void or "let it ride"/continue?
I'm amenable to either.

G80guy

Been here awhile...
Northeast
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
too bad you can't just sit outside wait for it to happen to see what causes it.
Now that's funny.

Late at night...

Police officer: Why are you sitting outside in the middle of the night?
You: I'm waiting to see if my trunk pops open
Police: Blow into this

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Now that's funny.

Late at night...

Police officer: Why are you sitting outside in the middle of the night?
You: I'm waiting to see if my trunk pops open
Police: Blow into this

well if you own a home, who's to question if you are sitting in your garage or driveway?

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
How does the cop know you are the owner? It's the middle of the night and they see someone hanging out in someones front yard.......

guess it's a difference in neighborhoods. I've "hung out" in my driveway, on my porch, and in my garage at night without being hassled by the police.

if it were me, I wouldn't be alone, I would likely be listening to a radio of some kind or watching a mini-tv and probably have a fire pit going, it's not like I would be slinking around in a black hoodie looking as if I was stalking someone..

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.