Spy shots of the long-awaited GV80.

mistersteve

Hasn't posted much yet...
FL
Good news or bad, absolute price isn't my overriding concern these days. Odds are I'll be using my long term healthcare insurance before before my bank balance hits the red line ;-)

Seriously, I'm just not a fan of turbo-charged engines. I've owned 18 BMWs, mostly 7 series, and still have the X5 as I said. Being a lead foot, I am very sensitive and very critical of turbo lag. Yeah, they get to 60 in 5 seconds but it's that first half second where i'm still hanging my butt out in the middle of the intersection that I don't like. I remembered the old days of normal aspiration immediately after trading my last BMW sedan for a Genesis V8 without a turbo (the 2018 G90 is my third Hyundai/Genesis V8 car). Admittedly, I've never driven a car with a super charger though. Jaguar?

The last time I took my G90 5.0 in for service they gave me a G80 3.3T loaner. I admit it is a real performer and gets there just as fast as my G90 V8 but it does still have a lag. Of course, some drivers will never push the gas peddle hard enough to ever notice it and i applaud their safe approach to life. It's just that cars are a fun thing for me, not just transportation.

All my whining aside, guys. I'm still interested in the GV80 and would take it with the 3.3T if that's the best there was. Just like having to cut down the number of my toys because we just don't have the same number of garage bays down here in a Florida house as I had in CT, The older I get the more conservative i should be. Yeah, right ..... :-0

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Strategy? The Genesis SUV/Crossover program has a strategy?
It's been pretty much the same since the Genesis brand was launched in late 2016.

The one change being that they added a 3rd CUV (GV60) to the lineup (which is what I had stated at the time that they should have done at the start).

Alfa and Jaguar have CUVs (Jag, more than 1) and yet, Genesis outsold both last month.

You either do it right or else run the risk of it not paying off.

All my whining aside, guys. I'm still interested in the GV80 and would take it with the 3.3T if that's the best there was. Just like having to cut down the number of my toys because we just don't have the same number of garage bays down here in a Florida house as I had in CT, The older I get the more conservative i should be. Yeah, right .....
The GV80 likely will get the 3.5T mill, so 400+ HP.

Automakers have been reducing turbo lag by using electrification (putting aside the debate whether that really is true turbo tech), so would not be surprised if Genesis follow this path or else use an electric motor to provide that initial torque/thrust.

I too looked at the Telluride but it's a little bit pricey for what it is, just like all the other crossovers of that category. GV80 will probably be right up my alley (features, performance, etc.)
Putting aside the argument that all CUVs/SUVs are overpriced, the Telluride is pretty much a bargain for what it is (a proper 3-row FWD/AWD CUV).

Pricing for the Telluride starts at $31.7k which is $1.4k less than where the Cadenza starts.

Prospective buyers have found the Telluride to be such a bargain that Kia is basically selling every one they make, and in particular, can't keep up w/ demand for the loaded SXP trim (Kia stopped taking orders as there is now a 4 month wait) and there are rumors that Kia may bump up the price shortly.

An Acura RDX starts at $37.6k and the MDX about $7k more than that.

Last edited:

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ as of now...there is no confirmation that a 3.5T engine exists to replace the 3.3T

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ as of now...there is no confirmation that a 3.5T engine exists to replace the 3.3T
The 3.3t will get dropped for the G80 and GV80 in favour of the 3.5T as it has similar HP power to the V8. The only models that will still have the 3.3T is the G70 and G90 until the V8 is phased out completely and then the 3.5t will be put into the G90. I saw a leak a month or so ago that had a sheet that specified all the engines the Genesis brand has and it had the engine options marked with a yellow/green dot on the 3.5T and 2.5T for the two new models.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Speaking of the Telluride (well, it's corporate cousin) - the Palisade starts at a price a little bit below the Telluride and is only around $700 more in top trim form (and that includes things the Kia doesn't get like a digital gauge cluster, power 3rd row, etc.).

Hyundai is being more aggressive about the pricing than I thought they would.

Aura

Registered Member
The new Genesis brand car is equipped with a preview air suspension technology. Hyundai Mobis announced on the 29th that it succeeded in the development of integrated air suspension technology that integrates autonomous navigation and connected technology to existing advanced core parts technology to secure driving stability and pedestrian safety.
Hyundai Mobis' preview air suspension technology automatically adjusts the height of the car body by reflecting navigation map information in advance and absorbs road surface impact. It is a technology that predicts the roads and traffic information ahead, provides a comfortable ride, and secures traffic safety.

제네시스 GV80에 탑재되나, 프리뷰 에어서스펜션 개발

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It's nice that Hyundai is starting to catch up in features with other luxury brands. I wonder if this means the G80 could also get air suspension. Regardless, I'd be worried about its reliability since this is its first iteration and air suspension is a known pain point for other brands already.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It's nice that Hyundai is starting to catch up in features with other luxury brands. I wonder if this means the G80 could also get air suspension. Regardless, I'd be worried about its reliability since this is its first iteration and air suspension is a known pain point for other brands already.
Personally I don’t like air suspension because after a certain time the Suspension will give way and no longer work. I know that it’s a must as other brands have this feature in their vehicles. I would like to see how high it goes as currently I believe Jeep has the highest setting for it. Not 100% sure.

Carguy81

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Speaking of the Telluride (well, it's corporate cousin) - the Palisade starts at a price a little bit below the Telluride and is only around $700 more in top trim form (and that includes things the Kia doesn't get like a digital gauge cluster, power 3rd row, etc.).

Hyundai is being more aggressive about the pricing than I thought they would.
I was expecting the Palisade to cost up to a couple grand more than the Telluride, particularly on the high end trim with the extras you mentioned. It will be interesting to see how aggressive they are with the GV80 given how much value they are packing in other new products.