Spyshots of 2021 G70 facelift

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis G70
I’d be more concerned about reliability. The 3.3 is a proven engine in several platforms. The new engine is kind of an unknown. Weight for such a small change in displacement is the least of my concerns. Though I do want more power, better efficiency etc
Agreed. For everyone who didn't purchase a dynamic: Remove your spare tire and you'll have instant weight savings ;)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
I do agree it should be less than 50lbs, as mentioned, it is just something that concerns me. And mostly from a handling stand point.
I'm 100% with you. Weight is a significant factor when it comes to handling, especially front/rear balance. I'm hoping that it actually weighs less, and/or the platform loses some weight.

My new wheels are 9 pounds less per wheel than the factory wheels (unsprung weight)

Nice! Once I'm done with engine stuff (ie new intercooler and ECU flash tune) then next thing I'll go for are lighter weight and wider wheels. Notice any difference after the new wheels? I bet you might see a tiny difference in 1/4 times all other things being perfectly equal.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis G70
Hmmm...I could have sworn that I read (or heard) somewhere that Genesis is not using Smartstream.

Perhaps it was that Genesis was not using the DCT (which I know is true).

All confused :(

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis G70
Enkei Lusso 18" replacing original gunmetal gray. The day after ordering from Tire Rack they had "not available" for the wheels and it still reads that so I guess it was the older model wheel or something. I had my bath scale in the garage and lifted each wheel and weighed myself and the wheel, old and new and tried twice and it was nine pounds difference both times. Enkei felt lighter in my arms. I checked the Enkei site and wheel weight is not listed for their wheels.
See both in the photos of post 116 in Show Off Your Aftermarket Wheels thread.

Enkei Lusso machined face web style wheel
Enkei Lusso enkei_lusso_hyper_silver_1.jpg

petraman

All Gas, No Brakes
Genesis G70
Has anyone been able to tell if Genesis added sensors behind the door handles for the keyless entry system? It seemed like a big omission when I test drove the car... I noticed they added it to the GV80, so I'm hoping they're working on adding it to the rest of their lineup. Yeah, it's probably a very minor thing to most people, but the button they have on the handle just feels/looks cheap to me.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis G70
This has been several months now so faint memory is 27 pounds vs 36. Really just guessing mostly at this point. I have the original wheels in case I do not buy out of lease.
Original was like this.

21188244321.jpg

Terdbath

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis G70
My new wheels are 9 pounds less per wheel than the factory wheels (unsprung weight)
I always heard lighter wheels improve performance. Even saw posts over the years where people would state "each pound of savings equals x more horsepower". I had a 16 WRX and traded out the stocks with 18 pound Enkei's and didn't notice any power gains.

Same with this car. My winter set up is 10-15 pounds lighter at each corner and again so noticeable difference in straight line acceleration.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Don't know if you guys have already seen these, but some pictures of the new smartstream engines... Looks like it's showing the new 3.5, 2.5, and 3.0 diesel.

genesis-g80-1__01.jpg
genesis-g80-2__01.jpg

I assume whatever is written on there is stuff we already know from the Smart Stream engine presentation slides, but maybe there's more there... Anybody know how to read Korean? Haha

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
^ why the accordion like piping from the intakes to the turbos? wouldnt you want smooth piping for air flow? Unless the inside is smooth and that outside design allows the engine to move around a bit during hard driving....but it looks weird to me

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
^ why the accordion like piping from the intakes to the turbos? wouldnt you want smooth piping for air flow? Unless the inside is smooth and that outside design allows the engine to move around a bit during hard driving....but it looks weird to me

I assume it's to allow for engine movement, as the rest of the intake duct is attached to the frame. Even the 3.3 has a small ribbed section of the stock intake elbows to account for this. Aftermarket intakes just use silicone couplings to do the same thing, but I bet it puts a lot more strain on said couplings as they're not nearly as flexible as stock.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis G70
I assume it's to allow for engine movement, as the rest of the intake duct is attached to the frame. Even the 3.3 has a small ribbed section of the stock intake elbows to account for this. Aftermarket intakes just use silicone couplings to do the same thing, but I bet it puts a lot more strain on said couplings.
I bet youre right. Another thing I noticed about the new 3.5....seems like the turbos are mounted pretty high compared to our current car. Def gotta be a packaging decision but could have interesting implications

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
More pics of the new 3.5 Smartstream.

Looking closer at things, it actually looks like the turbo placement is similar - but the intake routing is very different from before. Also the charge piping is smaller in diameter, and there's much less tubing length because that nice little air-to-water intercooler.

I sloppily labeled some basic components to illustrate the big changes that mostly come from the air-to-water intercooler.

closeup.jpg
frontside.jpg

What's missing from the above pictures is the new air intake piping and boxes. From the previous pictures I posted, it appears that the air boxes (that house the air filters) are on top of the engine, leading us to assume the turbos are sitting on top as well! Well, it turns out that those air boxes probably have a pipe that goes straight down into the turbo inlets. So we've got a different air intake path than before, despite the turbos being in essentially the same place.

There is a lot we still cannot see. I wish we had side profiles of the engine. I'm hopeful that the new turbos have a v-band turbine housing, would make upgrading the downpipes MUCH easier. I also hope the new turbos have larger compressors and turbines to improve their efficiency since there is a little more displacement turning them.

Anyway, just some pointless nerding out about the potential new engine for the new G70 (I for one am hoping it goes into the facelifted G70, but I bet it won't be until the next generation G70).

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums