SPYSHOTS: The next generation of the Genesis G80 is here

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I personally don't care much about this 'new' 3D instrument cluster talk.

My attention is solely on any HUD advancements. But, IMO, the current HUD meets my needs nicely. Anything else is icing on the cake.

Aura

Registered Member
What do you folks think the cluster and infotainment system will be like? The more i see these new spyshots, i'm thinking they will not do the 3D cluster but rather a hybrid analog and digitial screen. Something like what porsche does on their newer models.

I'm also envisioning a widescreen infotainment system, 10-12 inches with a brand new OS - not the current Hyundai system with an overlay (like the g90).
The driver display might be like BMW; full digital but with—what looks like—metal accents placed over. Or they're prototypes, lower trims?

Last edited:

Aura

Registered Member
I'm so confused... this article has a Q&A with the CEO of Genesis, Manfred Fitzgerald. It was posted on the 21st of May and linked on page 24 by scarnero. Korean Attack: Genesis comes after the Germans - GTspirit

The CEO said these two comments;

Fitzgerald: "The G90 is a tremendous success in the domestic market and we already had to adjust the production volumes. The brand is on a roll. And we will have a brand-new G80 coming out this September in Korea and subsequently on global markets. With that car, you will see the next evolution of our design language."

Fitzgerald: "The GV80 will be annouced with the G80 and sold in Korea from November onwards. The GV70 will then be launched within one year."

I went back to the article today and those comments have been removed and edited to this;

Fitzgerald: The G90 is a tremendous success in the domestic market and we already had to adjust the production volumes. The brand is on a roll. And with the next-generation G80, you will see the next evolution of our design language.

Fitzgerald: "The GV80 will be shown before the end of the year and the GV70 will then be launched within one year."

The only way I was able to retrieve the original comments was I copied the article and pasted it into Wayback Machine. I wonder why those comments were edited out? Korean Attack: Genesis comes after the Germans - GTspirit

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
@ Aura
Manfried Fitzgerald doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer.
He says a lot of useless fluff about nothing & Genesis's Marketing Department
doesn't seem to know what they are doing either.
Did you see that "Mint" introduction in New York?
They think Potential buyers want to see a singing & dancing fashion show ???

Hyundai/Genesis are building & designing really good cars & were very smart hiring Peter Schreyer,Luc Donckerwolke, Alfred Biermann & Sasha Selipanov but I think they are lost when it comes to Marketing strategy.

Aura

Registered Member
@ Aura
Manfried Fitzgerald doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer.
He says a lot of useless fluff about nothing & Genesis's Marketing Department
doesn't seem to know what they are doing either.
Did you see that "Mint" introduction in New York?
They think Potential buyers want to see a singing & dancing fashion show ???

Hyundai/Genesis are building & designing really good cars & were very smart hiring Peter Schreyer,Luc Donckerwolke, Alfred Biermann & Sasha Selipanov but I think they are lost when it comes to Marketing strategy.
It’s so confusing and tiring. I just wish it could definitively be released September. I sent a message to the site to ask why it was edited.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm so confused... this article has a Q&A with the CEO of Genesis, Manfred Fitzgerald. It was posted on the 21st of May and linked on page 24 by scarnero. Korean Attack: Genesis comes after the Germans - GTspirit

The CEO said these two comments;

Fitzgerald: "The G90 is a tremendous success in the domestic market and we already had to adjust the production volumes. The brand is on a roll. And we will have a brand-new G80 coming out this September in Korea and subsequently on global markets. With that car, you will see the next evolution of our design language."

Fitzgerald: "The GV80 will be annouced with the G80 and sold in Korea from November onwards. The GV70 will then be launched within one year."

I went back to the article today and those comments have been removed and edited to this;

Fitzgerald: The G90 is a tremendous success in the domestic market and we already had to adjust the production volumes. The brand is on a roll. And with the next-generation G80, you will see the next evolution of our design language.

Fitzgerald: "The GV80 will be shown before the end of the year and the GV70 will then be launched within one year."

The only way I was able to retrieve the original comments was I copied the article and pasted it into Wayback Machine. I wonder why those comments were edited out? Korean Attack: Genesis comes after the Germans - GTspirit
Might have been that Genesis/Hyundai executives told them to back track on some words as there is no real ETA on the reveal and when the vehicle will be Sold in Korea. It could be like how @rroyce46 was stating that there marketing team really doesn’t full know how to market certain products to the industry. Other Automotive brands know exactly how to do this. Also the Mint concept little show they had at the new monument must have been really expensive for the company. They might want to adjust doing reveals are certain locations like that.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
At the very least, the edited content says the GV80 will still be revealed (not released :() by the end of the year. It's reasonable to assume that the G80 will be revealed before or at latest alongside the GV80, so the G80 will still be revealed this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Genesis is being cautious with month-based time estimates after the G70 release disaster in the US.

But yeah it seems either the releases are being delayed or they have little confidence in meeting the original deadlines. But I think the reveals shouldn't stray too far. So maybe R&D is doing well but production and distribution are having problems.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
At the very least, the edited content says the GV80 will still be revealed (not released :() by the end of the year. It's reasonable to assume that the G80 will be revealed before or at latest alongside the GV80, so the G80 will still be revealed this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Genesis is being cautious with month-based time estimates after the G70 release disaster in the US.

But yeah it seems either the releases are being delayed or they have little confidence in meeting the original deadlines. But I think the reveals shouldn't stray too far. So maybe R&D is doing well but production and distribution are having problems.
My take is that both of these will get revealed by the end of the year for the Korean market and then the US Specs will get shown off at NY AutoShow and have a Fall release date in the states. Since Detroit is no longer doing there show in the beginning of the year it is different next year compared to other years. So to get it clear, GV80 and G80 reveal this year for Korean Market. Then both models will get revealed either at LA or at NY AutoShow. Expect GV70 to get revealed in Q4 of 2020.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The delay between release in Korea and then release in the States is disappointing and ridiculous :(. Right now we could chalk it up to the Genesis distribution network in the States, but based on how Hyundai also has a delay, it doesn't seem like it will get any better when the US network is established and at its best. The 2020 Sonata has just started being sold and driven on Korean roads, and it's expected to be released in the US in October. That's a 5 month delay.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The delay between release in Korea and then release in the States is disappointing and ridiculous :(. Right now we could chalk it up to the Genesis distribution network in the States, but based on how Hyundai also has a delay, it doesn't seem like it will get any better when the US network is established and at its best. The 2020 Sonata has just started being sold and driven on Korean roads, and it's expected to be released in the US in October. That's a 5 month delay.
There is always a delay in the US as there has to me emissions testing in order for cars to be sold here. It’s the same thing with other brands like BMW (models made out of the US) it takes them about 4-5 months to be sold here. Just have patience hold tight and everything will work as planned. I rather have a vehicle take longer to come to our shores then get them straight off the batch.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Example of how complex the G80's design is to interpret;

Rough outline of the grill in a spyshot;

View attachment 20443

All the renders I've seen forget the green section. And the grill appears to have a border, inside the red part. Therefore most of the renders make the grill look too large or too long.

Comparison;

View attachment 20438View attachment 20440View attachment 20441
Not a fan of the Mazda grill. To me, the shape/profile of the Camo car looks like a larger version of the G70 which is a good thing. Should have kept the G70 grill shape imo.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
My take is that both of these will get revealed by the end of the year for the Korean market and then the US Specs will get shown off at NY AutoShow and have a Fall release date in the states. Since Detroit is no longer doing there show in the beginning of the year it is different next year compared to other years. So to get it clear, GV80 and G80 reveal this year for Korean Market. Then both models will get revealed either at LA or at NY AutoShow. Expect GV70 to get revealed in Q4 of 2020.
Does that mean Canada will have a spring release date? I really hoping to have it in my driveway before the rest of you poor bastards lol

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Does that mean Canada will have a spring release date? I really hoping to have it in my driveway before the rest of you poor bastards lol
More then likely. Look at the G90 refresh as it was revealed there in Canada and then has not been revealed here. Canada is always going to get the product first before US.

DazMR2000

Chicagoland via London
Genesis Model Type
There are good reasons for delays between Korean launch and US launch of cars. The Korean domestic market always comes first, so the first cars off the line are always local spec. Once the export cars are built, the US spec cars will need to be shipped and go through US type approval. This can take months.

Ask Volkswagen how that went for the Arteon. The Europeans had the Arteon in 2017. The US cars sat at the docks for almost a year waiting for approval and are only just hitting the dealerships now.

The Sonata is a slightly different case. The Sonata is built in the US, so they would need to get the production line switched over, which normally happens in the summer shutdown. Hyundai also want to clear the decks of the 2019s, which there are still a lot of in the network.

DazMR2000

Chicagoland via London
Genesis Model Type
The driver display might be like BMW; full digital but with—what looks like—metal accents placed over. Or they're prototypes, lower trims?
To get an idea what it will look like, check out the digital dash on the Kia K900. I don't believe the Genesis one will be much different apart from possibly some font changes. The K900 digital dash is excellent BTW, so the Genesis one should be as good as if not better.