• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

SPYSHOTS: The next generation of the Genesis G80 is here

Aura

Registered Member
Australia
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ wow...that’s a significant delay...wonder what happened.

Never would have thought the GV80 would be first!!
The article lists some reasons:

1.) North American sales are down in terms of sedans, Genesis needs to prioritise their first SUV.
2.) The facelifted Hyundai Grandeur is being released in September. Hyundai don't want the new G80 to canniblise its sales, as some may be converting to the G80.
3.) There may be changes being made to any aspect of the car, that need sorting.

I'm genesis fanboy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Well........... that sucks. Really hoping for a Q1 or Q2 launch here in Canada.

On a side note, holy shit, the grandeur is quite similar to Genesis.
Grandeur and genesis do not share a platform. And the both consumers aren’t same. The 2nd reason this article said is wrong.

I'm genesis fanboy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
As I've heard in the Korean community, it's strong to say that the gasoline engine that applies to Genesis g80 is new and needs to be pushed back because it needs more test. And the gasoline version of gv80 will be released next year for the same reason. But these are just rumors...

Last edited:

I'm genesis fanboy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
As I've heard in the Korean community, it's strong to say that the gasoline engine that applies to Genesis g80 is new and needs to be pushed back because it needs more test. And the gasoline version of the gv80 will be released next year for the same reason.
No one knows if this is true. And I do not think this is true.

Last edited:

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ wow...that’s a significant delay...wonder what happened.

Never would have thought the GV80 would be first!!
I’m guessing one of the main issues is that Genesis needs this GV80 in the range already. With how much people are buying SUV’s nowadays means that SUV’s will be priority for right now. Which is why the process of the GV70 has been pushed up a lot. But the best part of this is that we will see what the interior of future Genesis models will look like.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Grandeur and genesis do not share a platform. And the both consumers aren’t same. The 2nd reason this article said is wrong.
The Grandeur is a luxury model in Hyundai’s lineup. Which is why if the G80 comes out before the Grandeur it will eat up the sales of the Grandeur. If some owners of pre facelifted Grandeurs see the G80 they jump ship instead of getting the facelift model.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It will be interesting to see which one is accurate. I think I would put more faith in the report yesterday rather than this blog. It seems like it is based on a Car and Driver interview which may have happened previously rather than today as the article states. Hopefully I'm wrong but it seems like Hyundai wouldn't accidentally announce the delay.
True I’m more confused to be honest it’s been back and forward.

Glaz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Turns out that is an old blog referring to an old interview and they just put a new date on it. Here is the link with the same quote and it is dated in July.

https://thekoreancarblog.com/2019/07/10/genesis-g80-spied-before-september-debut/
God all they literally do is just copy and paste what they posted before hand. I’m not going to use that blog place to look for info anymore.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Not surprised, as there were numerous rumblings about the G80 being delayed and hence, the GV80 being launched 1st.

The Grandeur is a luxury model in Hyundai’s lineup. Which is why if the G80 comes out before the Grandeur it will eat up the sales of the Grandeur. If some owners of pre facelifted Grandeurs see the G80 they jump ship instead of getting the facelift model.
This.

The Grandeur is more at the price-point of the G70 (really below) and is Hyundai's equivalent to the Toyota Avalon (even if it seems like Hyundai is trying to make the Grandeur a little more premium w/ its F/L).

Hyundai did try a more luxurious model based on the same FWD platform called the Aslan (basically, an ES competitor), but it absolutely flopped in the Korean market.

The F/L Grandeur would have little to no impact on G80 sales (esp. an all-new model) or vice versa.

As I've heard in the Korean community, it's strong to say that the gasoline engine that applies to Genesis g80 is new and needs to be pushed back because it needs more test. And the gasoline version of gv80 will be released next year for the same reason. But these are just rumors...
Would not be surprised if the delay is due to the new engines (either the 3.5TT or the 2.5T) or even the transmission (really haven't heard much on this, but it's about time for that 10 spd AT to make it market).

I'm thinking that Genesis can launch the GV80 in the Korean market w/ just the 3.0L diesel engine and then add the petrol engines when they are ready.

Or this may have nothing to do w/ the new engines and Genesis simply wants to launch the GV80 first (so that it gets to the NA market sooner than later), altho in doing so, would sacrifice some sales in the Korean market as the new G80 would outsell the GV80 due to the lux market in Korea still made up predominantly of sedans.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums