• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

The Beef's G70

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Im just in the shadows waiting for @Beefer to get that piggyback :sneaky:
Honestly...I have a few months to think about it. I might...heck...probably will...LOL.

But now is not the time for me. It's cold out...daylight runs out quick...hardly anytime to enjoy. So if anything happens it will be the spring.

That will also give them time to tweak it and make it better and more stable. What I really hate is having to deal with replacing and regapping the spark plugs.

So give it 4-5 months :)

cars2see

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
use this man as a tester! i just want to see this car under 4 sec 0-60

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

cars2see

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
How would that work when you take it in for service? I thought I read just pull the unit off and they won't know but if the plugs are gapped differently than they are supposed to be won't that affect how the engine is running. Or will you also have to replace the plugs with the originals before taking it in?
yeah to my understanding is you switch it back to stock plugs before taking it in and remove the piggyback.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Honestly...I have a few months to think about it. I might...heck...probably will...LOL.

But now is not the time for me. It's cold out...daylight runs out quick...hardly anytime to enjoy. So if anything happens it will be the spring.

That will also give them time to tweak it and make it better and more stable. What I really hate is having to deal with replacing and regapping the spark plugs.

So give it 4-5 months :)
So why does the plugs need to be re-gapped again?
I want a fully plug and play solution. Don't want to mess with anything else!

cars2see

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So why does the plugs need to be re-gapped again?
I want a fully plug and play solution. Don't want to mess with anything else!
i think they have to be re-gapped cuz the piggyback can fry the plugs at stock setting.. if im wording that wrong someone correct me lol

cars2see

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
well if you remove the piggyback i believe the best thing to do would be to bring the plugs back to stock. if they stay in as gapped with no piggyback they can blow that way or youll run real lean? im not 100 % im sure someone here knows the answer

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
JB4 website:
"As is well documented for the Genesis platform, both the 3.3L and 2.0L, is prone to spark blow out at both stock and higher than stock boost levels. At a minimum, the factory spark plug gap should be closed to 0.022″. Alternatively, replacement spark plugs can be used that offers a stronger spark and are more reliable than stock. If you have any questions regarding our spark plug suggestions and JB4 map guide, please click here and ask in our support forum." Alternate plugs: Denso Iridium Power Spark Plug Set (Pack of Six) 5346 IKH24 - Genesis Owners

If I were to modify I would use high-performance plugs and replace those with the original unaltered gapped plugs.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
JB4 website:
"As is well documented for the Genesis platform, both the 3.3L and 2.0L, is prone to spark blow out at both stock and higher than stock boost levels. At a minimum, the factory spark plug gap should be closed to 0.022″. Alternatively, replacement spark plugs can be used that offers a stronger spark and are more reliable than stock. If you have any questions regarding our spark plug suggestions and JB4 map guide, please click here and ask in our support forum." Alternate plugs: Denso Iridium Power Spark Plug Set (Pack of Six) 5346 IKH24 - Genesis Owners

If I were to modify I would use high-performance plugs and replace those with the original unaltered gapped plugs.
How is it well documented in the 2.0T?
It's fairly new and was only available in Canada until recently!
Anyway isn't there a competitor offering for the Stinger?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It is safe to assume that you have to replace the plugs with better ones...but they need to be gapped. This is fine.

But...

1. If I remove the piggyback before a dealer visit...can these plugs stay in. If I have to replace the plugs back to stock...I am NOT doing this. Screw that. Too much. As mentioned...I want it simple.
2. If the plugs can stay in...will the dealer care? Just b/c I "upgraded" my plugs does not mean/assume I use a piggyback. They can guess all they want. It's like putting in a better air filter...would they care?

To recap...if I cannot keep the upgraded plugs in the car (b/c either they won't work without the piggyback or the dealer will bitch)...I am not doing it.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last edited:

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just remove the JB4 unit, takes ~4 minutes and don't worry about the spark plugs. Who the hell is going to remove them and why? ....better yet - measure the gap?!
Well that is exactly what I thought up until now...which was fine. But then folks started posting...and I got a little freaked out.

What is the service interval where they even replace plugs? I may not even reach that mileage with my 3 year lease !

If they are not replacing plugs...they would never look at them...right? It's not like they pull them out to clean them.

So I will actually call the dealer and ask if I can put in better performing plugs prior to doing this. Basically saying that the ones in the car are not the best. Vague sorta shit like that. If they immediately say that would void the warranty...I'm out.

So...few more things to consider here. But yeah...if I can leave them in...I am still in.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

cars2see

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
well the only reason i ask is because in my SC mustang if i put the wrong gap or a diff plug that could have potentially devastating damage to the motor. so im asking based off of that. didnt know how related it was across the board