Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not to bring up a old argument but are you sure? I thought is was a compact/space saver/donut spare. A full size spare would mean the tire is the exact same size as the tires on the car.

Spare Tire Options: Compact Spare Tire, Full-size Spare Tire or No Spare Tire
It is a full size non-matcching spare...which equates to the size of the normal size tire on the car...18". My car has the optional 19" rim.

So...yeah...you brought it up for no reason :) It is a full SPARE. It is not a compact donut on a 15" rim...it is not a regular donut on a 17" rim...it is not a run flat.

Kumho T135/80R18...actually an excellent rated tire...

1543507711891.jpeg

Last edited:

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It is a full size spare...which equates to the size of the normal size tire on the car...18". My car has the optional 19" rim.

So...yeah...you brought it up for no reason :) It is a full SPARE. It is not a comact donut on a 15" rim...it is not a regular donut on a 17" rim...it is not a run flat.
Never mind, not getting into it again. :cheers:

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have used Android Auto on mine and it works great. Loads quick though of course your phone will help that as well. Apps wise I primarily use Spotify and Google Maps but both work well. I've used Amazon Music and Waze previously and they run like you expect.

AA and Carplay are pretty sorted tech now and the Hyundai system does a good job driving it.

Couple bits of advice for AA and Carplay use. Get a good cable and often a short cable. In my GTI I use a 10" one and for the G70 I have a right angle 10" that I'll change for a 12" straight one. Keeps cables out of the way and a quality cable will make all the difference in ensuring quality connection and making effective use of the port. USB does a good job charging as well, it's not underpowered. Other tip is you may want, if you want convenient access to dock and to remove your phone, to look at a dock from Pro Clip. I've used them a half dozen other times in other cars and they are great accessory products. Not sure they have a G70 base yet but check them out. I'll likely stick with the cubby for this car though.

My dynamic has the space saving spare tire and jack as well, no run flats on these cars.

larrymg1

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If I may qualify. It is a full 18" diameter tire. However, it is also a designated "Temporary spare" which has limitations and cannot be used in a rotation (not applicable to this vehicle) and is speed restricted and minimal tread depth.
"
Full-Size Temporary Spare:

This full-size temporary spare is built with a lightweight construction and a shallow tread depth. It should match the vehicle's tire size specifications but you should only use it as a spare.
PROS: Because these spare tires are full-size, they generally don't interfere with ABS, all-wheel drive or traction control. The lightweight construction won't add a lot of weight to your vehicle.
CONS: Although they won't add a lot of weight to your vehicle, these tires will still require a "full-size" amount of storage space and must still be considered temporary.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If I may qualify. It is a full 18" diameter tire. However, it is also a designated "Temporary spare" which has limitations and cannot be used in a rotation (not applicable to this vehicle) and is speed restricted and minimal tread depth.
"

This full-size temporary spare is built with a lightweight construction and a shallow tread depth. It should match the vehicle's tire size specifications but you should only use it as a spare.
PROS: Because these spare tires are full-size, they generally don't interfere with ABS, all-wheel drive or traction control. The lightweight construction won't add a lot of weight to your vehicle.
CONS: Although they won't add a lot of weight to your vehicle, these tires will still require a "full-size" amount of storage space and must still be considered temporary.
That is correct.

And...to put this sh!t officially to rest...the tire is the 3rd item on the list (highlighted in red)...

Full-Size Matching Spare:
A fifth full-size tire that matches the current set of tires on your vehicle. If you're using a full-size matching tire as your "spare" remember to make it part of your vehicle's tire rotation pattern.​
PROS: Having a full-size matching spare maintains the aesthetics of your vehicle and means that you may not have to drive straight to a repair shop or dealer in the event of a tire disablement.​
CONS: You must also have storage space in your vehicle for a full-size spare. When it is time to purchase replacement tires, 5 tires instead of 4 should be purchased if you have rotated all 5 of the original tires.​
Full-Size Non-Matching Spare:
A fifth full-size tire that does not match the current set of tires on your vehicle. Although this tire is a full size tire, it may not be the same size as the ground tires. The wheel may also be different than the wheels on which the ground tires are mounted. A full-size non-matching spare should not be a part of your vehicle's tire rotation pattern.​
PROS: Having a full-size spare tire gives you more flexibility in that you may not need to drive straight to a tire repair shop or dealer in the event of a tire disablement.​
CONS: Keep in mind that it will take up as much storage space as a full-size matching spare. Also, it may not aesthetically match the other tires and wheels on your vehicle.​
This full-size temporary spare is built with a lightweight construction and a shallow tread depth. It should match the vehicle's tire size specifications but you should only use it as a spare.​
PROS: Because these spare tires are full-size, they generally don't interfere with ABS, all-wheel drive or traction control. The lightweight construction won't add a lot of weight to your vehicle.​
CONS: Although they won't add a lot of weight to your vehicle, these tires will still require a "full-size" amount of storage space and must still be considered temporary.​
Compact Temporary Spare:
Lightweight with a shallow tread depth, these spare tires have much smaller dimensions and require a higher inflation pressure than both standard and temporary spare tires – generally 60 psi.​
PROS: The compact temporary spare is specified and approved by your vehicle manufacturer for your specific vehicle and doesn't require the storage space of a full-size matching spare.​
CONS: When small spare tires are in use, they might impair certain vehicle features like ABS, traction control, and even speedometer operation. It is intended for limited and restricted operation on your vehicle to get you to a tire repair shop or dealer.​
Folding Temporary Spare:
An inflatable or collapsible temporary spare tire.​
PROS: The compact temporary spare takes up the least amount of storage space of the various spare tire options.​
CONS: The folding temporary spare tire is a little more difficult to use. It has to be inflated with either an air pump or a canister before you can use it. It is intended for limited and restricted operation on your vehicle to get you to a tire repair shop or dealer.​
Goodyear has also developed Run On Flat® & Extended Mobility Technology™ tires. These tires are for use while losing inflation pressure or even when fully deflated. Vehicle operation in a deflated condition is restricted to a maximum speed of 50-mph/80-kph for up to 50-mi./80-km. They may provide weight and space savings. If you'd like to find out if your vehicle has Run On Flat or Extended Mobility Technology tires, use our search by vehicle tool.​

steintm12

#SaveTheManuals
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That is correct.

And...to put this sh!t officially to rest...the tire is the 3rd item on the list (highlighted in red)...

Full-Size Matching Spare:
A fifth full-size tire that matches the current set of tires on your vehicle. If you're using a full-size matching tire as your "spare" remember to make it part of your vehicle's tire rotation pattern.​
PROS: Having a full-size matching spare maintains the aesthetics of your vehicle and means that you may not have to drive straight to a repair shop or dealer in the event of a tire disablement.​
CONS: You must also have storage space in your vehicle for a full-size spare. When it is time to purchase replacement tires, 5 tires instead of 4 should be purchased if you have rotated all 5 of the original tires.​
Full-Size Non-Matching Spare:
A fifth full-size tire that does not match the current set of tires on your vehicle. Although this tire is a full size tire, it may not be the same size as the ground tires. The wheel may also be different than the wheels on which the ground tires are mounted. A full-size non-matching spare should not be a part of your vehicle's tire rotation pattern.​
PROS: Having a full-size spare tire gives you more flexibility in that you may not need to drive straight to a tire repair shop or dealer in the event of a tire disablement.​
CONS: Keep in mind that it will take up as much storage space as a full-size matching spare. Also, it may not aesthetically match the other tires and wheels on your vehicle.​
This full-size temporary spare is built with a lightweight construction and a shallow tread depth. It should match the vehicle's tire size specifications but you should only use it as a spare.​
PROS: Because these spare tires are full-size, they generally don't interfere with ABS, all-wheel drive or traction control. The lightweight construction won't add a lot of weight to your vehicle.​
CONS: Although they won't add a lot of weight to your vehicle, these tires will still require a "full-size" amount of storage space and must still be considered temporary.​
Compact Temporary Spare:
Lightweight with a shallow tread depth, these spare tires have much smaller dimensions and require a higher inflation pressure than both standard and temporary spare tires – generally 60 psi.​
PROS: The compact temporary spare is specified and approved by your vehicle manufacturer for your specific vehicle and doesn't require the storage space of a full-size matching spare.​
CONS: When small spare tires are in use, they might impair certain vehicle features like ABS, traction control, and even speedometer operation. It is intended for limited and restricted operation on your vehicle to get you to a tire repair shop or dealer.​
Folding Temporary Spare:
An inflatable or collapsible temporary spare tire.​
PROS: The compact temporary spare takes up the least amount of storage space of the various spare tire options.​
CONS: The folding temporary spare tire is a little more difficult to use. It has to be inflated with either an air pump or a canister before you can use it. It is intended for limited and restricted operation on your vehicle to get you to a tire repair shop or dealer.​
Goodyear has also developed Run On Flat® & Extended Mobility Technology™ tires. These tires are for use while losing inflation pressure or even when fully deflated. Vehicle operation in a deflated condition is restricted to a maximum speed of 50-mph/80-kph for up to 50-mi./80-km. They may provide weight and space savings. If you'd like to find out if your vehicle has Run On Flat or Extended Mobility Technology tires, use our search by vehicle tool.​
Disagree. It seems clear to me that this would fall under Compact Temporary Spare. It has 18" diameter to clear the Brembo brakes, but the 135 width is obviously much narrower than the primary tires. It even requires 60 psi pressure per the description.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Disagree. It seems clear to me that this would fall under Compact Temporary Spare. It has 18" diameter to clear the Brembo brakes, but the 135 width is obviously much narrower than the primary tires. It even requires 60 psi pressure per the description.
You know...you're probably right. Based on the fact that it clearly states the 60 psi stipulation...I would agree it's a Compact Temporary Spare. Still not a donut though...as that would be a compact spare :)

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^ G70 comes with the compact temporary spare (not a full size tire of any description). the exception is for certain G70 models that come with no spare tire like mine (6MT) which only gets an emergency tire inflation kit. end of story.

most people refer to a compact temporary spare as a 'donut' since it actually resembles a donut due to the more rounded tread section. this has been the case for many years now. at least in Canada. US terminology may differ. not sure where the confusion lies.

most cars i've owned over the past 15-20 years have had the donut, aside from the G35 which had a full size matching spare. only my trucks and SUV's have had full size non-matching spares since you could be caught off road (yeah, right) and need to maintain the capabilities of the factory tire.

i've not seen a full size temporary spare in my travels.

funny topic, at least.

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^^ apparently it's different in Canada. Perhaps folks on here are too young to have ever seen one...who knows.

The following is a pic of what I call a "donut" spare. It is a very small tire that looks absolutely retarded on any car. The rim is like 14" and it looks like you can only go a max of 20 mph.

Anything bigger than the below picture is not a donut IMHO. It is just a spare. Be it a compact spare...full size spare...whatever.

Since the spare in my G70 is an 18" rim...I consider it as close to a full spare as you can get...besides being an actual highway rated tire.

Hopefully everyone can finally see what I mean by a "donut" spare. Now...if you want to discuss further...start your own friggin' thread and stop clogging up my precious thread dedicated to my precious award winning car that just beat the F out of a 440i about 15 min ago.

1543515612811.png

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.