Tinting taillights

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Would love to do this but here in Alberta it is illegal, also if you ever get rear ended and they say they could not see your tailights you can be held accountable for all damages no matter how much they are tinted , totally not worth the risk
There are plenty of cars with factory tinted tail lights. Especially the Aport or higher end trims. The G70 Sport has darker tail lights than the other trims.
The Lamin X Tint is basically that. The other options are darker and probably illegal.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got my universal Lamin X tint sheets in a couple days ago. Haven't had a chance to install them yet due to my work schedule. I'll post pics when possible. Also, I've got an appointment for window tint tomorrow. I'll post before/after pics. I'm most likely going with 50% tint, which won't show up that much, but I don't want anything too aggressive.

MRJONG

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's a piece of Lamin-X I cut myself.
Looks great and I'm looking to do exactly what you did, how exactly did you cut the Lamin-X? I'm guessing you bought the universal sheet, cut a rectangle close to the size of the turn signal and then stuck it on and trimmed it with a razor?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
*UPDATE*

Finally got around to installing the replacement, universal tint for my taillights (because I did such a horrible job the first time around with the pre-cut product).

Let me just say, it was SO much easier, and it turned out SO much better. Take a look....

Watched a few YouTube videos and copied how some professionals do it...

And the finished product. It's so smooth and beautiful!!!

Now I'm not ashamed of when people look at my car up close! Haha. Considering this, I STRONGLY recommend getting the universal tint for the G70, the pre-cut is incredibly difficult to work with whereas the universal allows you to tack it on to the panels around the light, stretch it and conform it appropriately.

(2) 12" x 32" sheets are the size you need.

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ugh. I bought the Lamin-X for mine but haven't attempted it yet ... might just pay a professional to do it.
I think that would be the right way to go.

😞

Edit: here is a pic to illustrate what I'm talking about...

I've tried placing a wedge on top to squeeze it down overnight, but it just comes right back up during the day.

And my car is dirty to top it all off. Hah. 🙁

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update. Removed the Lamin-X, went to the shop that tinted my windows and had them tint my taillights.

It's darker than I wanted them (it was either this, or something much lighter than even the mild tint Lamin X). Even so, my wife really likes them this dark, so I guess they'll stay.

Before (Lamin X)...

After...

What do you think? Too dark?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Update. Removed the Lamin-X, went to the shop that tinted my windows and had them tint my taillights.

It's darker than I wanted them (it was either this, or something much lighter than even the mild tint Lamin X). Even so, my wife really likes them this dark, so I guess they'll stay.

What do you think? Too dark?
I think the look OK, but are they bright enough to be seen?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would put Lamin-X back on. Those are too dark, imho.
I can't... Lamin X just doesn't want to work on our taillights... It keeps creasing despite my best efforts...

My wife likes the new look, and same with my family....but I personally agree with you guys, I think it's just too dark, it's not really the look I want to go for... Dang..

I may call the tint shop back and see if they can swap for the lighter tint... Hopefully they'd give a discount...

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
I think it looks great ! Would do this myself but insurance company told me to F off if i did do it lol but i think either stay this dark because it looks bad ass or leave it completly

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can't... Lamin X just doesn't want to work on our taillights... It keeps creasing despite my best efforts...

My wife likes the new look, and same with my family....but I personally agree with you guys, I think it's just too dark, it's not really the look I want to go for... Dang..

I may call the tint shop back and see if they can swap for the lighter tint... Hopefully they'd give a discount...
See if there's a way to get the Lamin-X or something similar installed by em and just pay for labor. Not doubting your skills, but they are the professionals who should be able to do it if possible.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I think that would be the right way to go.

😞

Edit: here is a pic to illustrate what I'm talking about...

View attachment 19506

I've tried placing a wedge on top to squeeze it down overnight, but it just comes right back up during the day.

And my car is dirty to top it all off. Hah. 🙁
I know too little too late, but these are called fingers and they can be heat shrunk down with a heat gun, then a pass with your card, or felt bar will lay these down for good.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I know too little too late, but these are called fingers and they can be heat shrunk down with a heat gun, then a pass with your card, or felt bar will lay these down for good.
I tried several times using a hair dryer. I was able to get them down to where it was smooth no problem, but they just came right back... The Lamin X is just too thick and rigid.

Last edited: