Tinting taillights

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
See if there's a way to get the Lamin-X or something similar installed by em and just pay for labor. Not doubting your skills, but they are the professionals who should be able to do it if possible.
I think you're right, a pro tinter could definitely do a way better job than me. They didn't want to use the Lamin x, though.

I'm just gonna call them and use the lighter tint and be done with it.

SuperCyclone20

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Update. Removed the Lamin-X, went to the shop that tinted my windows and had them tint my taillights.

It's darker than I wanted them (it was either this, or something much lighter than even the mild tint Lamin X). Even so, my wife really likes them this dark, so I guess they'll stay.

Before (Lamin X)...
View attachment 19823
View attachment 19824
View attachment 19825

After...

View attachment 19826
View attachment 19827
View attachment 19828

What do you think? Too dark?
Looks really clean, but a bit too dark for my taste.

SuperCyclone20

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm with ya. Gonna get it replaced on Thursday! It just screams, "hey look at me - I MODIFIED MY CAAARRRRRR!"
Hahahaha. Just replacing it with something lighter? Same brand?

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yupparoo. The tint actually is very smooth and much thinner than the Lamin X (which is a good thing, in terms of ease of install). That said, I'm looking forward to the results of the lighter shade.
Are you going to put the other "lighter" tint the shop offered you since the beginning?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Are you going to put the other "lighter" tint the shop offered you since the beginning?
Correct. I think it's a little lighter than even my old Lamin X, but at this point I don't care, I just want to be done with it all.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Shop just finished with the lighter tint. It actually looks almost exactly the same as the Lamin X - except it is MUCH smoother. It's perfect! Can't even tell there is a film on there...

Hope everyone can learn from my experience. I love DIY, but evidently the Lamin-X is above my ability; or, our taillights are too shapely for it.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is there a "% of light transmission" associated with that lighter tint?
I'm sure there is....but the tint shop didn't know. I really think it's exactly the same amount of the Lamin x "tint" shade. But again, they don't post their percentages either. :-|

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So...tint on a non sport with the lighter chrome and 10 spokes? What do you guys think about how this would look?

Edit: the lighter tint, nothing too dark
It would look SWEET.

Sport trim comes with darkened taillights already. So a light tint on a non-sport trim would turn out a little lighter than mine anyway. I think it would look really good.

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It would look SWEET.

Sport trim comes with darkened taillights already. So a light tint on a non-sport trim would turn out a little lighter than mine anyway. I think it would look really good.
Agreed! I did not think about tinting the darker Sport taillights but it looks better with the additional darkened reverse/turn signal sections.