Transmission issue

NobodyKnows

Registered Member
Ashburn, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just picked up my 2020 3.3 AWD about a week ago and I haven't noticed any rough downshifts in sport yet but its been getting warmer here (40s-50s at night). Is this issue happening in freezing temperatures? Also, I noticed a "Coasting" setting in my menus which I haven't enabled but I'm curious if that may be causing some of these issues when enabled.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Coasting decouples the front wheels in ECO mode only. Suppose to save fuel.. There is no point trying to save fuel on the 3.3T LOL
No point in saving gas, but coasting refers to uncoupling the trans. Decoupling the front wheels would be related to ECO mode for AWD cars

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No point in saving gas, but coasting refers to uncoupling the trans. Decoupling the front wheels would be related to ECO mode for AWD cars

There is ECO coasting, which decouples the engine from the transmission and ECO mode that transfers most of the power to the rear. Yeah, guess I should have been more specific! Thanks for the clarification.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There is ECO coasting, which decouples the engine from the transmission and ECO mode that transfers most of the power to the rear. Yeah, guess I should have been more specific! Thanks for the clarification.
ECO mode should not exist on the 3.3 anyways...buying a 365 hp car and putting it in eco mode is some sort of sacrilege :p

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For the record I also drained my transmission fluid, as best I could. I had a similar experience to that mentioned above - but I was able to squeeze out 4 liters of ATF, and I replaced it with the expensive OEM Hyundai fluid spec'd for our cars.

Anyway, transmission felt the same. But, I've never really had hard downshifts. It has only happened a couple times when I first tried out Map 5 on my JB4, but even then it wasn't bad at all. I wonder if there is some subjectiveness to it.

Anyway, I have, on the other hand, felt the grabbing/jumping of the rear LSD when taking a turn almost immediately after starting my car up. Seems to only happen on the first 90 degree turn, left or right, but then doesn't happen after my differential fluid is beginning to warm up. I'm planning on changing the front and rear diff fluid with Redline gear oil, as they have the exact weight the owner's manual calls for. Perhaps that will fix it?

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
We hope it does Todd... you're at the forefront of this, for us all. Let us know how it goes!

Hugh185

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Operation was exactly the same after draining/refilling the ATF. Some dealerships may have the ability to completely flush the transmission, but it requires some special equipment to do so.

Edit: I'm sure most transmission specialty shops could fully flush the ATF no problem. If you went to one of them, I'd just make sure they use SP-IV RR specific fluid.

I am going to flush it at BG products garage, did you have a look at this option. And I came to the same conclusion as you SP-IV-RR is SP-IV-RR hyundai or not

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am going to flush it at BG products garage, did you have a look at this option. And I came to the same conclusion as you SP-IV-RR is SP-IV-RR hyundai or not

You can get the genuine Hyundai SP-IV RR, or you can get a cheaper alternative that still meets the same spec. I don't know if they're really any different, or if it matters.

Here is a brand that meets the SP-IV RR specs. I think it's a bit cheaper than OEM Hyundai ATF, but I can't remember what I spent on it at the dealer.

Amazon.com: RAVENOL J1D2197-001-999 SP-IV RR ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid (1 Liter): Automotive

41c+Oock9nL._AC_SY400_.jpg

osmar92

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have only 700 miles on 3.3t and started feeling some jolts when I am rolling to a stop and transmission downshifts from 3 to or 2 to 1

tommyjin

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yep, it's very annoying. I have been dealing with it consistently for almost a year. I even went thru the process of going thru Genesis customer service, and they say if the dealership does not find a problem, they cannot do anything about it. Of course, the dealership say there are no problems.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have only 700 miles on 3.3t and started feeling some jolts when I am rolling to a stop and transmission downshifts from 3 to or 2 to 1
In comfort mode and after engine is fully warmed up? When cold I’ve felt an occasional jolt, but always short lived. More pronounced in sport mode.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yep, it's very annoying. I have been dealing with it consistently for almost a year. I even went thru the process of going thru Genesis customer service, and they say if the dealership does not find a problem, they cannot do anything about it. Of course, the dealership say there are no problems.
Over a year and a half for me. But only when cold in all modes and then it’s just fine once fully up to temp. But from oil temp showing 0-180 it’s real bad. Thinking of having my dealer hold my car overnight to drive it cold.

Did your dealer acknowledge the jerky behavior at least? Or did they say everything was fine and it was acting normally

tommyjin

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Over a year and a half for me. But only when cold in all modes and then it’s just fine once fully up to temp. But from oil temp showing 0-180 it’s real bad. Thinking of having my dealer hold my car overnight to drive it cold.

Did your dealer acknowledge the jerky behavior at least? Or did they say everything was fine and it was acting normally
Yep, I gotta drive for more than 10-15 minutes, which I only do when I drive out of town. So I experience it several times a day normally.

For my third visit, the dealership held it for 3 nights. They said they drove 20 miles and could not see a problem. "No error codes," they said. After I picked it up, it happened at the first stop sign.

I think everyone that is having this problem should contact Genesis Customer Service at New Message | MyGenesis . Their reps are pretty good, but my issue is probably not common enough. If more of us report this, at least there will be more cases and probably more solutions.

osmar92

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In comfort mode and after engine is fully warmed up? When cold I’ve felt an occasional jolt, but always short lived. More pronounced in sport mode.
so I used to drive in eco mode with coasting enabled.Coasting is not supposed to engage on low speeds. I disabled coasting and switched to comfort mode , in comfort mode transmission works well. Will try to check sport mode as well

osmar92

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
New update, still sometimes it jerks a bit when it downshifts around 1000 rpm. Either it skips a gear or it must be tuned electronically. Becomes annoying since it occupies your mind while driving. Do we have an official from Genesis to address this issue?

LoLaWy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
2019 3.3t sport RWD .. can confirm the exact same issue
My commutes are not enjoyable at all :(

osmar92

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
new update, as weather cools off or now I have 3000 miles it became more smoother, even I do not notice sometimes, but it is still in a back of my mind

Steve2202

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I did a pretty good search through here, but I think I have a totally different issue. G70 2.0T Elite, and recently I would switch drive modes, and suddenly my throttle/transmission response went wonky.

Put your foot down to overtake, it would downshift as expected, but zero power. And it would bounce off the rev limiter. Ease off, and it would shift down, try again, and it would just shift up and down with no acceleration. Going 60kmh, the car would just cruise with the foot to the floor. Anybody experienced anything like this?? Same time, I came to a stop sign, and instead of idle shut off, it stalled..

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums