Transmission issue

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes I do own a 3.3 sport which I think is the only one with the adaptive suspension.
It seems like you’re describing the changes that happen in sport or custom mode. Seems normal to me, but I might be missing something? Toggle it back to comfort and do you still feel it’s stiffer?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 3.3, I think, has stiffer springs (at least up front) than the 2.0. Or at least, it felt like it to me after driving my loaner for a day. Also, the sport has bigger rims, and high performance tires, all of which makes it feel more firm on the road. Maybe that's what he's experiencing?

My guess is you just forgot how your car felt after driving the loaner for so long.

dxtra196

Registered Member
The 3.3, I think, has stiffer springs (at least up front) than the 2.0. Or at least, it felt like it to me after driving my loaner for a day. Also, the sport has bigger rims, and high performance tires, all of which makes it feel more firm on the road. Maybe that's what he's experiencing?

My guess is you just forgot how your car felt after driving the loaner for so long.

Could very well be the g70 2.0 has softer suspension and I can definitely feel the difference. Wow night and day G70 2.0 is comfortable all the way around it was just right firm sporty but comfortable at the same time. BTW the 2.0 had 19 inch rim. Or could be they alter my shocks. I noticed when I go over a speed bump the front absorbs the bump just fine but not the back, the back feels hard and stiff. Back to the dealer tomorrow

AdriaticBlueG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For those of us having transmission issues, it may be helpful to post build dates. The sticker on the side of the car has month and year only I think, but customer service can give the day, too.

Model: 2019 G70 3.3T AWD with Elite Package
Manufacture Date: 12/18/2018

Anyway, I have weird (read: jerky) shifting at slow speeds, mostly when slowing down, or in bumper to bumper traffic. I am always in Comfort Mode. Cold weather makes it worse. When the car is warmed up, MOST of the weird shifting goes away, but not all. The worst I experienced was when traffic was crawling at 10 to 15mph on the highway, and I thought I was hit by someone from behind. So, I put on my hazard lights, got out of the car, and there was no damage. The driver behind me was confused. I realized then it was a VERY VERY hard shift. Nothing like that has happened since. For what its worth, I think it shifted a noticeably worse when it was new. Now that it has a bit over 5k miles on it, it feels better. Maybe the ECU "learns" how you drive and tries to adapt? I know that happens on some cars, but not sure about this one.

Also, when the tech at my dealer that finally fixed my steering issue took the car on a ~120 test drive (he lives 50 miles from the dealer), he noticed the brakes would vibrate, and resurfaced rotors, but didn't say anything about the transmission.

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
There have been discussions of erratic shifting, mainly when transmission is cold. I notice sporadic/harder shifts only when first starting the car during the first couple of minutes. I always let the idle settle down from fast idle before I leave my garage. I have a 2020 3.3 sport, build date Sept 2019. I’m assuming transmissions are the same other than maybe the ECU revision for software? Seems a 2019, if there has been ECU updates could be flashed with later revisions if the shifting routine has been improved. Worth asking your dealer about.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For what its worth, I think it shifted a noticeably worse when it was new. Now that it has a bit over 5k miles on it, it feels better. Maybe the ECU "learns" how you drive and tries to adapt? I know that happens on some cars, but not sure about this one.

I have a June 2018 3.3T advanced AWD and I have similar observations in terms of how the shifting has improved since when it was new. Back then I had occasionally very rough 2-3 or 3-4 shifts and a lot more jerking when coming to a stop in sport mode. Now I haven't had any jerkiness for a couple of months and it brakes to a stop very smoothly, but I also wonder if it's temperature related due to it being winter, although it's been spring temperatures the past 2 weeks. The only thing that I have taken note of is a clunking sound when the car downshifts when pressing down on the gas pedal after slowing down.

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For those of us having transmission issues, it may be helpful to post build dates. The sticker on the side of the car has month and year only I think, but customer service can give the day, too.

Model: 2019 G70 3.3T AWD with Elite Package
Manufacture Date: 12/18/2018

Anyway, I have weird (read: jerky) shifting at slow speeds, mostly when slowing down, or in bumper to bumper traffic. I am always in Comfort Mode. Cold weather makes it worse. When the car is warmed up, MOST of the weird shifting goes away, but not all. The worst I experienced was when traffic was crawling at 10 to 15mph on the highway, and I thought I was hit by someone from behind. So, I put on my hazard lights, got out of the car, and there was no damage. The driver behind me was confused. I realized then it was a VERY VERY hard shift. Nothing like that has happened since. For what its worth, I think it shifted a noticeably worse when it was new. Now that it has a bit over 5k miles on it, it feels better. Maybe the ECU "learns" how you drive and tries to adapt? I know that happens on some cars, but not sure about this one.

Also, when the tech at my dealer that finally fixed my steering issue took the car on a ~120 test drive (he lives 50 miles from the dealer), he noticed the brakes would vibrate, and resurfaced rotors, but didn't say anything about the transmission.
Mine does the same thing, and Ive already had them look into it once. The same thing happened....tech drives it...says its normal or "I didnt feel anything weird". Its so bad that sometimes I wonder if the person behind me thinks I just brake checked them and my wife once asked my why I was braking so unevenly as I saw her head get thrown forward with the rough downshift. I have an oil change in 2k more miles and Ill be asking them to ride in the car with me so I can replicate it for them. No clue what can be done to fix, but Im really embarrassed and annoyed when it happens. My cars build date is 5/24/18

elsid88

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine does the same thing, and Ive already had them look into it once. The same thing happened....tech drives it...says its normal or "I didnt feel anything weird". Its so bad that sometimes I wonder if the person behind me thinks I just brake checked them and my wife once asked my why I was braking so unevenly as I saw her head get thrown forward with the rough downshift. I have an oil change in 2k more miles and Ill be asking them to ride in the car with me so I can replicate it for them. No clue what can be done to fix, but Im really embarrassed and annoyed when it happens. My cars build date is 5/24/18

Bought the car in July of 2019, did not notice any of the hard downshifts until the weather became cold and the car would sit through the night. So for the first 5 min to 10 min of driving (non highway) coming up to STOPS... the car downshifts hard when slowing down, almost like if I was drving a manual and dropping it down gears to slow down. Once the car warms up after 15/20 minutes, not much of a problem. Curious to see as the weather turns warm again if it continues or goes away.

Model: 2019 G70 3.3T AWD Sport Package
Manufacture Date: Dec 2018

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Bought the car in July of 2019, did not notice any of the hard downshifts until the weather became cold and the car would sit through the night. So for the first 5 min to 10 min of driving (non highway) coming up to STOPS... the car downshifts hard when slowing down, almost like if I was drving a manual and dropping it down gears to slow down. Once the car warms up after 15/20 minutes, not much of a problem. Curious to see as the weather turns warm again if it continues or goes away.

Model: 2019 G70 3.3T AWD Sport Package
Manufacture Date: Dec 2018
yes it does get better once the trans is up to temp, but still not completely smooth. It is definitely rougher those first couple complete stops. When its cold, if you get it up to 20mph and then coast down to 10 mph I can replicate the rough shift every time. When Im braking normally (lightly) in traffic I can feel the rough shift coming and try to compensate by adjusting braking pressure but I still cant completely negate it

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could it possibly be due to the transmission fluid used?

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could it possibly be due to the transmission fluid used?
maybe, Ive wondered if a thicker fluid would help but it doesnt explain why other G70 owners dont have this issue. Ive heard from the stinger forum that an 'adaptives relearn' can maybe help but no one seems to have a clue what that actually entails

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My first guess would be to look at the transmission fluid; but, I have no evidence to prove that such would be helpful.

Food for thought: when I was running Map 5 I noticed my transmission started downshifting into 1st gear when I got below 10 mph when coming to a stop. It certainly felt harsher than it used to, as it used to stay in 2nd until I actually stopped. Now I'm back to Map 2 and it seems to have resorted back to the normal downshift patterns, which results in a much smoother slowdown. I don't know if that's the same as what you guys are experiencing, though.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
maybe, Ive wondered if a thicker fluid would help but it doesnt explain why other G70 owners dont have this issue. Ive heard from the stinger forum that an 'adaptives relearn' can maybe help but no one seems to have a clue what that actually entails
Wouldn't a thicker fluid make the rough shifting issues even worse when it's cold though?

joschneider

G70 Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wouldn't a thicker fluid make the rough shifting issues even worse when it's cold though?
cold lasts for 5-10 minutes, the rest of my drive lasts much longer. I would take even rougher cold shifts if it fixed everything else :p I dont know enough about transmissions to say for sure what would fix or help, but Ill try almost anything at this point

Cereal Box

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The car engine breaks when decelerating and its not smooth when it's cold

You can get around this issue by modulating the throttle and break peddle in a certain way. Either break early or late.

If you dig deep enough into the break it'll engine engine break.

However it's a a lot smoother if you drive like an ass

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
cold lasts for 5-10 minutes, the rest of my drive lasts much longer. I would take even rougher cold shifts if it fixed everything else :p I dont know enough about transmissions to say for sure what would fix or help, but Ill try almost anything at this point
I'm semi tempted to try out a different transmission fluid. Perhaps an aftermarket fluid such as Amsoil might be better than the OEM spec fluid.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm semi tempted to try out a different transmission fluid. Perhaps an aftermarket fluid such as Amsoil might be better than the OEM spec fluid.

I don't think that's a good idea.

Every automaker has a bunch of specific, often proprietary, additives in their own ATF. Some transmissions are designed for a specific viscosity, in addition to the clutches and brakes operating with a specific type of fluid. A while back I recall reading a patent on a new CVT oil that has microparticles suspended in the fluid that acts like little Legos that sort of streamline together when under pressure which results in hugely increased film strength and also a type of friction modifier.

Since Hyundai/Kia literally designed this transmission from the ground up, who knows what kind of specifics they needs in terms of fluid. Perhaps it is something simple that every other OEM uses, but I'd rather not be the test dummy on that.

Last edited:

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Might be worthr researching to see if their trans fluid used has changed since the early days of manufacturing. It probably hasn't but if it has, I would think you would want the newer fluid.

I know little about transmissions but do know they have lots of channels and check balls that control how fluid flows around, and can certainly see how that can get disrupted if the fluid is cold and not flowing exactly right. A trans fluid change could help.

I'm probably nuts, but I'd be tempted to warm up the car and do some high RPM tire spinning while upshifting and downshifting to see if something will shake loose. Maybe there's some debris stuck in there somewhere that needs to be dislodged.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums