• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Winter wheel & tire packages?

Draco-REX

Parts Monkey
Ohio
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@patatty This setup worked well for you last winter? It's nearing time for winter tires for me in Colorado, so I'm starting to look.
Not quite the same but,

I've gone through 2 winters on stock-size WS80s on my Evo, and they worked great. And this is with 245 width tires on a car that's about 400lbs lighter. With the added weight of the G70 and the narrower 225 width, they should be even better.

Questions:

Did you order the Enkei Dracos through Tire Rack?

Looks like you have Brembos, correct?

On Tire Rack's order page, it says "Included Hardware - 4 Required centering ring , 20 Required lugnut for vehicle (nickel plated)". Any issues with these? Everything fit OK?
I got my Dracos from TireRack and they clear Brembos with plenty of room. Choose a Kia Stinger GT AWD to get a selection of wheels.

The Hubcentric Rings fit fine. They aren't necessary, but they are free and make it easier to mount the wheel on the car. So no reason to do without.

I'm pretty sure the stock lug nuts have the right seat for these wheels, but the lug nuts that Tire Rack throws in for free are good Gorilla nuts with wider seats than stock. So again, no reason to not use them unless you have a better set (Like These).

patatty

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Questions:

Did you order the Enkei Dracos through Tire Rack?

Looks like you have Brembos, correct?

On Tire Rack's order page, it says "Included Hardware - 4 Required centering ring , 20 Required lugnut for vehicle (nickel plated)". Any issues with these? Everything fit OK?
@patatty This setup worked well for you last winter? It's nearing time for winter tires for me in Colorado, so I'm starting to look.
Yes, ordered from Tire Rack. Everything fit and worked very well (with Brembos).

I put these lugnuts on when I switched back to the 5-spokes in the spring, but I don't anticipate any issues using them with the winters:

Gorilla Automotive 71633NBC "The System" Acorn Black Chrome Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size)

G70 wheels.jpg

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not quite the same but,

I've gone through 2 winters on stock-size WS80s on my Evo, and they worked great. And this is with 245 width tires on a car that's about 400lbs lighter. With the added weight of the G70 and the narrower 225 width, they should be even better.

I got my Dracos from TireRack and they clear Brembos with plenty of room. Choose a Kia Stinger GT AWD to get a selection of wheels.

The Hubcentric Rings fit fine. They aren't necessary, but they are free and make it easier to mount the wheel on the car. So no reason to do without.

I'm pretty sure the stock lug nuts have the right seat for these wheels, but the lug nuts that Tire Rack throws in for free are good Gorilla nuts with wider seats than stock. So again, no reason to not use them unless you have a better set (Like These).
Why aren't the centering rings necessary? If the wheel bore is a larger diameter than the hub, how do you keep the wheel properly centered? The lug nuts don't necessarily do that, as I found out on a previous vehicle.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Why aren't the centering rings necessary? If the wheel bore is a larger diameter than the hub, how do you keep the wheel properly centered? The lug nuts don't necessarily do that, as I found out on a previous vehicle.
What makes the wheel properly centered are the lug nuts. Hubcenter rings make it easy to install the wheel but they are not essential. Usually lug nuts are tapered, as you screw them the wheel will move a little bit, after you put three of them in opposite directions the wheel will be centered.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What makes the wheel properly centered are the lug nuts. Hubcenter rings make it easy to install the wheel but they are not essential. Usually lug nuts are tapered, as you screw them the wheel will move a little bit, after you put three of them in opposite directions the wheel will be centered.
That's what I thought too years ago when I tried that on my E36 M3. It didn't work, I got bad wheel vibrations. The centering rings fixed it.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's what I thought too years ago when I tried that on my E36 M3. It didn't work, I got bad wheel vibrations. The centering rings fixed it.
The BMW uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts, but I still expected the bolts, with tapered seats, to center the wheel for me, but they didn't. Mounting the wheel became a bit of a trial and error process to get right. With the rings, the wheels went on perfect every time.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Your lug bolts didn't have the right seat, or they weren't torqued down properly.
Negative. They were the proper bolts/seats and I always hand torque them in the correct sequence. I've done this for decades, and have read numerous accounts of other people having the same issue. (Then again, there are also those that say they haven't had a problem.)
I just wouldn't suggest that the rings aren't needed, because without them, if nothing else, the wheel installation and torquing procedure requires much more care/finesse. Why take a chance?

Maya_Sport

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey all,

Like many of you, I am beginning to look for a winter wheel/tire setup for my 3.3t Sport. I'm a an amateur at this and the dealership has been less than helpful. I could use the group's help. As suggested, I am using the Kia Stinger AWD GT on Tirerack to dial in on the right set. I am looking at having 18' square setup. Do any of you have experience or advice on a set like below?

Enkei PDC 18x8 40mm offset (w/ recommended TPMS) TireRack Enkei PDC
BLIZZAK WS80 - SIZE: 225/45R18 TireRack Blizzak WS80

I see a lot of references to the Draco and Vulcan wheels too. Thoughts on wheel design also welcome.

Thanks!

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't know if that particular wheel will clear the brakes, but if Tire Rack says it does, you should be good. The rest of it looks fine. (That offset will move your wheels and tires inboard just a bit - about 0.25") Blizzards are great snows, as are the Michelin X ice.

TO Genesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To add to the rings vs no rings discussion. The wheel, and therefore the car, rides on the hub. If this was not the case there would be no hub protruding and we wouldn’t have dozens of different hub bores. The lug nuts or bolts ensure that the wheel is mounted flush hence the need to tighten in a star pattern and to a correct torque to ensure the wheel stays attached. On a $40K plus car and when paying $1K plus for a winter package I don’t understand why people wouldn’t either (a) buy hub centric wheels or (b) pay the minimal cost of getting centering rings. My 2 cents.

TO Genesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Some new wheel options for the G70 however they seem to have defaulted to the X-Ice Xi3 as the only tire available as opposed to the 3 options available for winter 18/19.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To add to the rings vs no rings discussion. The wheel, and therefore the car, rides on the hub. If this was not the case there would be no hub protruding and we wouldn’t have dozens of different hub bores. The lug nuts or bolts ensure that the wheel is mounted flush hence the need to tighten in a star pattern and to a correct torque to ensure the wheel stays attached. On a $40K plus car and when paying $1K plus for a winter package I don’t understand why people wouldn’t either (a) buy hub centric wheels or (b) pay the minimal cost of getting centering rings. My 2 cents.
^ +1. i've never bought a set of aftermarket wheel nuts that didn't come complete with hub centric rings. they're either plastic or metallic and are next to free. makes no sense to not use them if the aftermarket wheels have larger hub bores.

the OE Genesis winter wheels that i have (Fast Switch 212) match the bore of the 19" 5-spoke rims, so no hub ring required. likely one of the reasons Genesis offers them as factory recommended fitment.

DolomiteG70

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ +1. i've never bought a set of aftermarket wheel nuts that didn't come complete with hub centric rings. they're either plastic or metallic and are next to free. makes no sense to not use them if the aftermarket wheels have larger hub bores.

the OE Genesis winter wheels that i have (Fast Switch 212) match the bore of the 19" 5-spoke rims, so no hub ring required. likely one of the reasons Genesis offers them as factory recommended fitment.
+1000. Anybody advising not to use Centering Rings shouldn't be giving advice on wheels, period.

Putting stress on the lugs vs on the bore is dangerous, and by doing so you risk yourself and those around you.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
+1000. Anybody advising not to use Centering Rings shouldn't be giving advice on wheels, period.

Putting stress on the lugs vs on the bore is dangerous, and by doing so you risk yourself and those around you.
Let me first tell you that I will always use centering rings but I will do it mainly for easing the process of installing the rim. Do you think that a PLASTIC (more than 50% are) centering ring will withstand the weight of a car over the axel? Do you think it will save your life and the life of the people around you? If you trust on it...... good luck. I trust the LUGS!

DolomiteG70

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Let me first tell you that I will always use centering rings but I will do it mainly for easing the process of installing the rim. Do you think that a PLASTIC (more than 50% are) centering ring will withstand the weight of a car over the axel? Do you think it will save your life and the life of the people around you? If you trust on it...... good luck. I trust the LUGS!
I didn't specify PLASTIC rings, did I? Aluminum is recommended because under heavy cornering and track applications, the Nylon can and will deform.

I'm not going to argue with you. Pick up a book and do some reading on the topic. Educate yourself before giving advice to others.

To make it easier for you, reference this one of many links that discusses the subject.

Difference Between Hub-Centric and Lug-Centric Wheels

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't specify PLASTIC rings, did I? Aluminum is recommended because under heavy cornering and track applications, the Nylon can and will deform.

I'm not going to argue with you. Pick up a book and do some reading on the topic. Educate yourself before giving advice to others.

To make it easier for you, reference this one of many links that discusses the subject.

Difference Between Hub-Centric and Lug-Centric Wheels
And who gave advice to others to not use them? Read first before writing I SAID I DON'T TRUST PLASTIC CENTERING RINGS. Are you blind?

DolomiteG70

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
And who gave advice to others to not use them? Read first before writing I SAID I DON'T TRUST PLASTIC CENTERING RINGS. Are you blind?
I can see just fine, thank you. You are saying Centering Rings are not essential when in fact on Hub Centric wheels they are.

Lugs are used to put lateral forces on the wheel in check. The Hub Bore bears the weight of the vehicle. I don't make the rules, it's simple physics.

Putting stress on the wheel studs by supporting the weight of the vehicle is not safe. However, we are in agreeance that plastic rings are not ideal. 👍

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums