• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2017/2018 radio swap in 2016 ultimate?

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
View attachment 24086That’s the H/U model no. Oh and sub you need to supply your own SD card also as it did not come with one! Fortunately the SD card in my current H/U played nicely with the newer H/U so no worries there
That's interesting... If the newer one takes the "old" SD card, it leads me to believe that CP/AA might just be a software limitation as opposed to being a hardware one.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
not necessarily. When you install an SD ship with a newer version, the programming determines that the version on the SD is newer than the version installed and goes into an install mode.

when you put in an older SD Chip it doesn't load the firmware, just reads the map data.
Yeah - There is that. But compatibility wise they might not be that far apart. I doubt it would read map data for the touchscreen unit for example.

Then again - I'm no software engineer. Don't even play one on TV.

Sebastian4k

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yeah - There is that. But compatibility wise they might not be that far apart. I doubt it would read map data for the touchscreen unit for example.

Then again - I'm no software engineer. Don't even play one on TV.
The sd card was just to enable navigation, gps time, and Sirius data. You can live without it but I had it in because seeing the navigation icon grayed out was bothering me. I can’t stand seeing a feature I paid for unavailable! Lol

Comp625

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That's interesting... If the newer one takes the "old" SD card, it leads me to believe that CP/AA might just be a software limitation as opposed to being a hardware one.
Does anyone know what the hardware specs are (i.e. CPU, RAM) underneath the smaller 8" and larger 9.2" units? This is just hypothetical, but let's say both of them use the same type of CPU, then I'd be inclined to think the limitations are with the software and firmware.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have both a 2015 5.0 tech and 2016 3.8 ultimate, I have tried couple of things to get the ultimate to install the tech firmware but no dice...:voodoo:
And decided it’s not worth bricking the ultimate head unit, as that will leave the Mrs very unhappy with me...
I think one problem is the Initialization sequence needs to also communicate to the HUD unit.

Whitey

Registered Member
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Genesis Model Type
Dayum, this community is sorta hostile. Heh.
I wouldn't surmise that at all. I feel Mr. Incred gave a clear synopsis of what's been hashed out on this board and the likelihood of this getting resolved.

We'd all like a solution to materialize, but odds are slim based on the risk(cost):reward ratio. You can most likely get anything to work if you throw enough $$$ at it, but at some point, you'd be better off putting those dollars toward just upgrading the car lol.

But if there are any engineers and/or coders out there that wish to take on a project, by all means, don't let me stop you.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
it has been discussed, the pre 2018 9.2" uses a windows CE platform, the 8" and 9.2" 2018 forward use a Linux based platform.
the issue is the windows CE platform cannot run CarPlay or Android Auto. no support for that OS backbone to run those apps.

While I am sure it is entirely possible to flip the firmware from Windows CE to Linux in the older DH models, it boils down to cost effectiveness for the R&D to do so, it would likely require re-writing a lot of code and/or changing out the joined parts like the AMP as noted earlier in the thread, because those connected parts are running of some similar base code to the HU so they can talk.

and there is zero reason for Hyundai, or any manufacturer to put R&D money into a 4 year old model for a creature comfort like CarPlay or Android Auto, the logic here is if you want it buy a newer car.

R&D on vehicles is 4-5 years out from the current year, that means the technology when compared to the rest of the world is several years old when it hits the market, as it takes that long to get the car through the process of R&D, testing, and regulatory approvals.

obviously, based on this thread, the newer HU works in an older car insofar as booting up and being functional, but the other things attached to it have issues.

now with enough time and money, I am sure someone can get it to work, either with an OEM amp, and whatever modifications to the wire harness might be needed, or simply bypassing the OEM amp all together and using some type of DSP or LOC sound processor unit piped into an aftermarket amp.
According to this, it runs an old smartphone linux, not Windows - Good article, has Android specs as well.

2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan: Android, Atom, And More

Whitey

Registered Member
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Genesis Model Type
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums