• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2017/2018 radio swap in 2016 ultimate?

letapragas

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Not sure if this was validated but were we able to duplicate Sebastian4k's no audio issue with a different radio? Also did he attempt to verify that there was no damage done during the installation. My experience troubleshooting IT issues have taught me not to assume that parts work and cables are fully plugged in.

I'm sure he was through with his work but I do recall that this part was ordered used.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2018 OS boots on 2015 hardware, with working sound...but missing CarPlay and doesn’t seem to detect the USB correctly. If the system is booted with usb plugged in, it will detect and use that device until unplugged.

View attachment 25216

Quantum Logic "On-Stage" works, but "Audience Mode" does not seem to change anything (from the current setting). ClariFi might be shaping the audio just a little, but if it's actually working I can't really tell.
View attachment 25217

My 2015 navigation card also does not work.

Here's the 2015 image:
[/URL]

Here's the 2018 image (again):
[/URL]

I think I've struck gold, but I'm not sure how to use it:
[/URL]
2015 (not 2018)/3.2GB/usr/src/debug has the entire development source code for every app in the system- including the upgrade interface, should anyone be interested in piping in new features. 2018 has Carplay source code.

2015-18/1.6GB/root/boot is where we load the system configurations.

EDIT: Have been pulling my hair out for 2 hours trying to figure out why I didn't have any free space left in some partitions after deleting some files. Ubuntu in all its wisdom decided that if I don't shift-delete, it's going to stick the deleted files in a .Trashes hidden folder with root-only visibility permissions. And then not actually link the trashed files to the trash.

Resizing partitions results in shenanigans and random errors. Apparently these partitions are very carefully sized. Restoring the backup image :D

Any modification to the 214mb Boot partition causes failure to boot. Who knew? Restoring the backup image :D

Splicing files directly doesn't work, unless I'm missing some lib dependency somewhere. I suspect the app was compiled in a specific way for the newer headunit. Restoring the backup image :D
Good attempt!!! I commend you for taking time to tackle this issue for owners who really want the Carplay/Android Auto upgrade on the earlier 2015-2016 models.

I am sure you will sort it out eventually.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2018 OS boots on 2015 hardware, with working sound...but missing CarPlay and doesn’t seem to detect the USB correctly. If the system is booted with usb plugged in, it will detect and use that device until unplugged.
Excellent work Suburbazine, it just dawned on me that the 2015-16 Ultimate were shipped with EG20T controller that provides USB 2.0 client support (including USB adapter that may also needs to be replaced):
2015-16 head unit diagram
Unfortunately CarPlay requires USB3.0 client support to function correctly, this may explain the issue you are encountering.

On a side note, this forum has always been an excellent source of information, but IMHO we may be straddling couple of thin lines here, by freely sharing IP that belongs to someone else.

Last edited:

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The thing is, Carplay works without anything other than the head unit being swapped. The USB module in the car is 2.0 for sure. Maybe they fudged some code requirements. I compared the base hardware system configs between systems and the included support hasn't changed much, although the new headunit uses a different base firmware with LGE's "iAP2" function which may be how they're doing Carplay. If so my only way to do Carplay will be to find the correct amplifier, since I definitely lack the coding expertise to build Carplay into the old head unit.

As far as the IP, the software on this system is licensed under GNU GPLv3 (and MeeGo requires it remain as such) plus they included the source code for the applications without stipulating a separate license, so...
I think you are almost there, it might be worth while to find a USB module replacement.

Since you validated the licencing agreement people should be golden with it... :verydrunk:

CarlitoGR

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
I'm looking through the code... I haven't messed with C++ in a couple of years. I think that this is going to be a fun project to get going. I say that we start a GitHub branch, work on getting this compiled and work to the goal. I tip my hat to you for getting sources. I'm very impressed. I never even though about pulling the hard drive.

shwwalker

Genesis Model Type
I'm looking through the code... I haven't messed with C++ in a couple of years. I think that this is going to be a fun project to get going. I say that we start a GitHub branch, work on getting this compiled and work to the goal. I tip my hat to you for getting sources. I'm very impressed. I never even though about pulling the hard drive.
Let's get this going! Do you want to get the project started on github?

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Last edited:

The Ruler

Genesis Model Type
new to this thread... would love to have this upgrade if you all accomplish it. Take my money!! :eek:)

This is what MapnSoft told me yesterday

I discussed this with MapnSoft yesterday. 2015/16 jog dial head unit was made by LG and the contract with them and Hyundai expired before they could complete a software upgrade for that unit. 2015/16 8.2" head unit and everything 2017 forward is made by Mobis which Hyundai purchased

Comp625

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
new to this thread... would love to have this upgrade if you all accomplish it. Take my money!! :eek:)

This is what MapnSoft told me yesterday

I discussed this with MapnSoft yesterday. 2015/16 jog dial head unit was made by LG and the contract with them and Hyundai expired before they could complete a software upgrade for that unit. 2015/16 8.2" head unit and everything 2017 forward is made by Mobis which Hyundai purchased
I thought the Model Year 2017's used the same tech as the Model Year 2015 and Model Year 2016 (in both the 8" and 9" versions). It wasn't until Model Year 2018 where things got refreshed with AA/AC being supported regardless of trim or screen size.

The Ruler

Genesis Model Type
they told me that Mobis made the lower trim levels in 2015-16 which is why those were upgraded with software from Mobis. LG made the Ulitmate head Unit and never did the same and since the contract termed, will never happen. This apparently is why only the 2015/16 Ulitmate is still not able to use AA/AC.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

Comp625

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So for Model Year 2017, who makes what?

Lower Trim with 8" screen: Mobi?
Ultimate Trim with 9" screen: Mobi? [AA/AC still not supported]