Registered Member
ILM, NC
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413673816.321507.jpg
Good news is that there was a lot of room to work with

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413673865.980633.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413673880.784729.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413673898.969531.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413673911.785927.jpg

The blue vacuum line will be black on the final run. All bare metal will be painted black as well. We figured out how we want to to the shield, but I picked up the wrong size. Next one will be taller to come closer to the hood

Ram Air

Registered Member
Good job, Tailwalker! It was interesting to see that in the second run torque was up over 8 ft/lbs but not horsepower. However in the 3rd pull horsepower was up substantially but not torque. You said you had just the K&N in on the second run. Was that a conical filter or a replacement for the factory pleated filter? Anyway, these are good power gains at the rear wheels.
Thanks for all your effort.

Last edited:

daviderle

Registered Member
+10 HP at the wheels

First run is stock, second with drop in K&N, third with the fabricated intake.
Excellent work mate, this Dyno run is a gold mine..

I just like to get it strait in my head and make sure I understand the runs correctly;

Red 004.DRF = CAI (Third run)
Green 002.DRF = Stock filter (?first? run)
BLUE 003.DRF = K&N (?second? run)

Is that correct?

I ask the question as it does not make sense to me that the K&N would lose torque by as much as 8 points, while the stock would keep up with your CAI from TRQ prospective!...

Thread starter #32

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
That is correct. Keep in mind that we only ran three pulls just to see if there was any increase at all. Also there was concern as to how the car would react given all the electronics with the drivetrain, so we cut the run short of redline.

I may do another session once the ECU adapts to the increased air flow. I did notice gas mileage changes much more quickly. I won't know until a few more tanks, but I'm hoping the results will be favorable.

Ram Air

Registered Member
Okay , I got confused. I thought blue was the first pull, but apparently not. So what are the figures on the far right of the graph....... Green 251.67, Blue 256.12, Red 267.02?

daviderle

Registered Member
Not certain. I've never dyno'd anything before. The guys at the shop were pretty impressed with the results across the board though.

I do know that the RWHP is 310
Indeed!! the overall smooth torque from 4000-6000 RPM is simply sublime (well done Hyundai!)...

The peak HP is around 6100, which is exactly where I deduced it to be from the OBDII readings (see other threads :cool:).

If I am reading the graph correctly, the numbers on the right are the torque readings at peak HP, because both numbers are related to each other (I could go on, but Google "torque vs horse power" will be better ;))..

One other question, did the same person (who pressed / floored the accelerator) do all three runs?

Another wish, if you go back for another Dyno run using your new setup, is to do one additional test with the ESC fuse out (or with the wireless remote mod), as I suspect the ESC is impacting the ECU and therefore these numbers under load, regardless if the rear wheels slip or not (these numbers should be a tad higher on the 4.6 :confused:)...

Tailwalker, again well done and thank you for sharing...

D.

Thread starter #37

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
Yes, same person. It was a bit difficult to get the correct gear (4th) and keep it from downshifting. Once he got it down, it all went pretty smoothly.

We considered removing the ESC fuse, but things seemed fine so we did not. We can do so next time.

Also-if you want to post my videos, please do. I cannot from my phone...
Thanks guys

daviderle

Registered Member
Was the hood open or closed with the "CAI"? Was the car allowed to idle or be run enough so typical underwood temps were reached?
It seems the hood was open for the final CAI run (which may makes some difference for the final reading).

The ambient temperature was 75.5-78F for all three runs (as documented at the bottom of the sheet)..

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.