4.6 intake interest

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
Hood was open for all runs on all cars that day while I was there. Car was up to temp (had a 45min drive to get there).
There is a shield between the cone and the engine, though I did not get the correct height aluminum. That will be fixed. As of right now there is a small gap between the top of the shield and the hood.

zielritter

Been here awhile...
Union, KY
Hood was open for all runs on all cars that day while I was there. Car was up to temp (had a 45min drive to get there).
There is a shield between the cone and the engine, though I did not get the correct height aluminum. That will be fixed. As of right now there is a small gap between the top of the shield and the hood.
Looks pretty neat. It's not too dissimilar from my crude 3.8 intake. I route it to the same location and block it off with a heat shield. What is the OD of your tubing and the model# of the cone?

Maulis425

Hasn't posted much yet...
Dayton, OH
Most impressive. It looks like a 90deg hose adapter, a 6-8" pipe with a welded bung and an adapter hose section to attach to the MAF and the cone filter is directly attached to the MAF...? I priced out the hoses and aluminum but couldn't figure out how to do the bung myself, nice job. Let us know when/if you'll put this into production.

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
*UPDATE*

Ok guys, sorry for the delay. I have been going back and forth with the fabricator and the shop. Bottom line - the fabricator wants to produce, the shop does not due to liability concerns. I certainly understand their standpoint, and it is not my decision. It sucks for us as a community.

That being said, I know that there is someone else on this forum fabricating a setup with his current employer. I am sure he will chime in when the time is ready. Evidently his company is willing to get or already has the insurance coverage for this. I will not steal his thunder; he can relay all the info when he has it together. I can say that he has experience in the entire process. Hopefully he can deliver this to the community.

If you are interested in making the intake yourself, i can certainly share all the bits and pieces that went into the build. You would need to find someone to weld the bung, but the rest can be done with limited tools.

I apologize for the letdown. I am pretty frustrated with the situation as is the fabricator, but in the end the decision was taken out of our hands.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
oh man this sucks :( . Taliwalker is there any way I can pay you to produce a one-off?

daviderle

Registered Member
I will ask, but must likely not. He was specifically instructed not to proceed with this project.
In general, I do not subscribe to conspiracy theories, but in this case I keep getting the feeling that someone high up (?HMA? :eek:) does not want us to ever open the Genesis Sedan potential (especially the V8) for whatever reason...

For the last six years, every time we seem to get close to a commercially viable solution, the project is either forcefully shut down or abandoned. :mad:

I mean there are commercial mods for the Genny Coupe (which sold in lower volume than the sedan), Veloster, Sonata, hell, even Elantra but not a single mod for the Genesis Sedan!

I just find it Infuriating that is all...Sorry for the rant. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

consilius

Registered Member
Having dealt with business arrangements and contracts, why not draft a document with the shop with the following conditions?

- They hold no liability
- You accept all responsibility and liability
- They are meant for "experimental" purposes and "NOT" to be fitted to a motorized vehicle.
- They are not to be sold commercially.
- They do not offer warranty. No warranty will be applicable.
- Everything will be followed under all applicable laws and regulations.
- I have read and understand that these conditions are reasonable
- It is acknowledged that any "oral" agreements do not apply for any past and current contracts and it will be under this written contract.

Do you accept the terms & conditions?
"Say Yes"

We will then "donate" an equal amount per package to "further" this development.

PM for more details.

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
It was actually the owner of the shop worried about being liability or something. I did not realize the conversation had not been held between the fabricator and owner prior to the project beginning. I suppose he wanted to get an idea of material cost and time before he went to the owner with the idea. Backfired a bit....

I am happy with the result however, and am certainly willing to share what i can. Those that are local to MD can meet with me and see firsthand the parts and take their own measurements if they like. There are some modifications i will be proceeding with down the road, but i'll keep them to myself until i have completed :D

Big_tugg

Registered Member
Just thinking outside the box. Not really talking about the tube but there has to be a heat shield/box that will accidentally fit in the corner of our cars

Tailwalker

Registered Member
ILM, NC
That is possible. You can still fabricate the box fairly easily with basic tools. I will be making another one myself, since i ordered the wrong height for the initial test. You will need a piece of aluminum/steel that is 18" high to start with - you will need to trim down of course, but the 12" is too short as you can see in the pictures. I also plan on adding another bend and trying to feed the air tube from the top of the grille into the 'box'.

I know that glassman ran his stock 4.6 and got the same numbers as my intake and exhaust fitted 4.6, which has a few of us confused. I know from previous threads that the MSA cat deletes essentially add 10hp on their own, so things really do not make sense right now. Under everyday driving, i have noticed greater response, and the 'feel' is that the car is quicker. I have the same wheels and tires, and it is much easier to break loose. There are times that at 40+ i punch it and the ESC kicks in, so i cannot believe that the dyno run was accurate.

I plan on completing the ESC override and will try the dyno again. Maybe the CPU is limiting in some manner, which would explain the similar numbers. I know the car went into some weird mode due to the rear wheels moving without the front - the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree...

David, can you chime in as to what you have seen in your readings that may support this? Totally hypothetical on my end; I'm nowhere near as versed in this as David is. Just speculation...

daviderle

Registered Member
David, can you chime in as to what you have seen in your readings that may support this? Totally hypothetical on my end; I'm nowhere near as versed in this as David is. Just speculation...
I agree with your assessment so far, from my studies, the OBDII readings while doing several runs (in a deserted closed area), for both 2009 4.6 and R-Spec I found the ESC configuration is our cars is rather complex and tightly integrated with several other systems including the engine, ABS, transmission in the 2009 4.6 (most likely different for 2010+), while the R-Spec has additional integration with both the EBS and believe it or not, the LSD as well!

This evident specifically when trying to drift on a wet surface, while the ESC is disabled in the 4.6, I can push 100+ feet at a constant angle with minimal steering adjustments, while the R-Spec rear gets very twitchy while doing the same test.
Putting the ESC in disengaged mode (ESC button), the 4.6 behaves exactly the same for much shorter distance (as expected, due to ESC intervention). In contrast the R-Spec rear end stabilizes significantly while the ESC is active in disengaged mode (i.e. with button pressed).

I plan to do additional tests if we get some snow down here this year (happens every 3 years or so), while taking additional data to verify what I have so far. :cool:

So in summery, indeed I believe from what I have seen so far (data+experiments) that the ESC can manipulate the ECU as well as a multitude of other subsystems, that may indeed have significant impact on HP/TRQ output in a variety of 'driving' conditions.

In addition the ECU does learn, and can be reset (by removing the battery and / or removing the master fuse for at least four hours), which may also impact the over all HP/TRQ output based on some driving distance and the multitude of sensors averages (speculated to be 100-200 miles).

I have tried to get several shops to work with me to do some Dyno runs around here, but everyone I tried so far would tells me your R-Spec is too nice 'we are not touching it', and I get 'If ain't broke do not fix it' on the 4.6... :rolleyes:

So ideally, I would love for someone who has access to a Dyno, to do a run with with the ESC disabled (i.e. fuse removed or using the remote mod.) and without, with a front fan blowing at least 30MPH+ wind in front of the car for both runs to truly validate these theories.

---
Please note: I can only speak to both V8 trims, I suspect none of this data is valid or applicable to the V6.
---

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.