• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Aftermarket Exhaust options!

BlackedOutG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Antifoulers prevent the CEL o2 sensor code. It fools the secondary O2 sensors into thinking your catalytic converters are operating normally.

These are useful when using HFC's, or removing the cat altogether. Even though HFC's usually prevent an o2 code from happening, it is still not as efficient as the stock cats, and on certain occasions it could still throw an o2 sensor code. The antifoulers eliminate that completely.
Are the downpipes with the hfc safe? I saw people had talked about oil getting through or something? Whats all that about? Also hope your turbo progress is going well.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Are the downpipes with the hfc safe? I saw people had talked about oil getting through or something? Whats all that about? Also hope your turbo progress is going well.
Some Stinger owners believe that oil seeps through the seals when going cat-less, as some smoke is noticeable when at high RPM's at WOT.

I'm inclined to disagree with this hypothesis, though I don't have any evidence to support my views (neither do they), as it just doesn't logically make sense to me, knowing how turbos work. I think it's more due to not having any cats to clean up the exhaust, and just how rich the 3.3TT runs (even with the JB4 or Lap3 piggybacks).

Originally my plan was primary downpipes w/HFC's, and ARK midpipes with custom HFC's - this way I would replace all OEM cats with HFC's, all while still flowing way better than stock, and potentially avoiding the exhaust smoke.

BlackedOutG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Some Stinger owners believe that oil seeps through the seals when going cat-less, as some smoke is noticeable when at high RPM's at WOT.

I'm inclined to disagree with this hypothesis, though I don't have any evidence to support my views (neither do they), as it just doesn't logically make sense to me, knowing how turbos work. I think it's more due to not having any cats to clean up the exhaust, and just how rich the 3.3TT runs (even with the JB4 or Lap3 piggybacks).

Originally my plan was primary downpipes w/HFC's, and ARK midpipes with custom HFC's - this way I would replace all OEM cats with HFC's, all while still flowing way better than stock, and potentially avoiding the exhaust smoke.
Seeing how much knowledge you have about this car and turbo cars in general, what would you recommend me to do to the exhaust, so far I just have a jun bl racing catback

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Seeing how much knowledge you have about this car and turbo cars in general, what would you recommend me to do to the exhaust, so far I just have a jun bl racing catback
You can get some midpipes too if you want. It doesn't help much with peak HP, but it does help the turbos spool faster. You'll lose the OEM secondary cats, but they're not needed.

Install is pretty dang easy, and midpipes aren't that expensive. Will make your exhaust even louder, as well.

BlackedOutG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You can get some midpipes too if you want. It doesn't help much with peak HP, but it does help the turbos spool faster. You'll lose the OEM secondary cats, but they're not needed.

Install is pretty dang easy, and midpipes aren't that expensive. Will make your exhaust even louder, as well.
Love my exhaust loudness right now, louder would sound amazing. Sounds like a maserati in my opinion how it sits right now

Vortex951

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Love my exhaust loudness right now, louder would sound amazing. Sounds like a maserati in my opinion how it sits right now
I still have stock primaries and Stock mufflers with the secondary deletes and now on cold start I get a slight turbo whistle. I’m sure if you did primaries and secondary deletes you will get the full turbine effect on cold start. And I’ll be truly jealous haha

matpal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm selling them for $900 shipped, antifoulers included. If you don't want the antifoulers, then $850 shipped.

If no one buys them here, or the Stinger forum, I'll post them on eBay for $900+shipping.

Original price was $1050 shipped.
These weren't damaged at all during your ordeal? After bringing your car to a state of readiness, what changed your mind in using these?

matpal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You'll lose the OEM secondary cats, but they're not needed.
Can you expand on this a little? Not needed as in truly not needed, or you'd have to do something else to either remove a CEL or to get it to pass safety inspection?

Ive been looking, but have yet to find midpipes with the HFC already built in. Do you know if an off the shelve solution?

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Can you expand on this a little? Not needed as in truly not needed, or you'd have to do something else to either remove a CEL or to get it to pass safety inspection?

Ive been looking, but have yet to find midpipes with the HFC already built in. Do you know if an off the shelve solution?
Secondary cats don’t cause a CEL and you won’t fail inspection. However depending where you live you might be in a DIY situation. No shops in my state will touch emissions equipment (catalytic converters)

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Truly not needed. No CEL when removing them. Will also pass emissions inspections, as the primary cats are still in place, plus the tech wouldn't know any better.

As far as I know, nobody makes an HFC version of midpipes. I brought my ARK midpipes to an exhaust shop (master muffler) and the guy welded some HFC's in for me at my request. He did a shyte job and ripped me off. But, they work well and it still flows great, so it is what it is. If I were to do it again I would have just kept them cat-less.

Vortex951

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Truly not needed. No CEL when removing them. Will also pass emissions inspections, as the primary cats are still in place, plus the tech wouldn't know any better.

As far as I know, nobody makes an HFC version of midpipes. I brought my ARK midpipes to an exhaust shop (master muffler) and the guy welded some HFC's in for me at my request. He did a shyte job and ripped me off. But, they work well and it still flows great, so it is what it is. If I were to do it again I would have just kept them cat-less.
When I saw the pics you posted of the hfc you had welded in it made me want to cry a little bit. I use to work on a rock crusher and welding was a daily part of my job. Those welds hurt me on inside a little bit. I’d also bet they might not be completely sealed off like the nice tig welds that came on the ark pipes

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
When I saw the pics you posted of the hfc you had welded in it made me want to cry a little bit. I use to work on a rock crusher and welding was a daily part of my job. Those welds hurt me on inside a little bit. I’d also bet they might not be completely sealed off like the nice tig welds that came on the ark pipes
I don't blame you!! Haha. It certainly looks sloppy and unfinished. As far as I can tell it is sealed; but, I'll have to inspect it closer when I get my car up and running again. I need to be underneath it when it's on to really be sure it's not leaking.

Edit: maybe I should just bring the pipes to them, while off the car, and ask if they can clean up the welds/finish the job, because they suck. Knowing them they'd charge me again to do that. Lol.

Last edited:

Vortex951

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't blame you!! Haha. It certainly looks sloppy and unfinished. As far as I can tell it is sealed; but, I'll have to inspect it closer when I get my car up and running again. I need to be underneath it when it's on to really be sure it's not leaking.

Edit: maybe I should just bring the pipes to them, while off the car, and ask if they can clean up the welds/finish the job, because they suck. Knowing them they'd charge me again to do that. Lol.
If we lived in the same area I’d do it for you for free. Mostly I just love welding haha. But work like that is truly unacceptable

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Have a picture of your exhaust with the secondary deletes installed? Where your mid-pipes custom or did you purchase from somewhere? How did the exhaust note change?

I still have stock primaries and Stock mufflers with the secondary deletes and now on cold start I get a slight turbo whistle. I’m sure if you did primaries and secondary deletes you will get the full turbine effect on cold start. And I’ll be truly jealous haha

Vortex951

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Have a picture of your exhaust with the secondary deletes installed? Where your mid-pipes custom or did you purchase from somewhere? How did the exhaust note change?
I just bought the ark performance midpipes that are 2.5” catless. Didn’t really change the exhaust note at all for the most part. It is slightly louder but to the average person it’s not something that they would notice. As far as taking a picture I didn’t cause all I did was jack tha car up enough for my ass to fit under it and did the install myself Not gonna lie it was a huge pain. If you have access to a lift that is the way to go. Piece of cake with a lift and probably would take 30 min. I was about an hour and a half with limited working angles

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just bought the ark performance midpipes that are 2.5” catless. Didn’t really change the exhaust note at all for the most part. It is slightly louder but to the average person it’s not something that they would notice. As far as taking a picture I didn’t cause all I did was jack tha car up enough for my ass to fit under it and did the install myself Not gonna lie it was a huge pain. If you have access to a lift that is the way to go. Piece of cake with a lift and probably would take 30 min. I was about an hour and a half with limited working angles
Oh it's not too bad without a lift.

Just unbolt the midpipes from the front and back, THEN unbolt the bracket from the transmission to let them down. When reinstalling, bolt it to the bracket first, then it will already be lined up to bolt up to the downpipes and the rest of the exhaust.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Anyone try the Stillen exhaust? It's not much louder than stock, which is fine with me, but it seems well designed and they actually have before and after dyno curves showing a modest improvement. I used to buy Stillen parts for my old Sentra SE-R (which was a fun little car with a 7500 RPM redline 😊). They seem like a decent company.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums