• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Alternatives to G70?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Appreciated. I was near dead set on a G70 but because of the lack of availability and unwillingness to haggle on the part of dealers I opened myself up to a large range of alternate vehicles. I tried the S4, the Q50 Red Sport and on a whim tried the Corvette. Fell in love with it and got it at a killer price basically on par with a G70. It had performance and (subjectively) I felt the interior was close to the interior of the G70. Not AS nice but not in such a huge gap as someone makes it out to be.

Look, there are others out there open to a wide range of vehicles. Some look at the performance aspect of the G70 as the main selling point. If it’s performace you want I only offered a link to something that can outperform it at a similar price. If you aren’t interested fine. But if I can find one person to say “Wow that’s a great deal”, which it is, I’m happy to help and offer an alternative.
Congratulations on your Corvette. Bye now!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Appreciated. I was near dead set on a G70 but because of the lack of availability and unwillingness to haggle on the part of dealers I opened myself up to a large range of alternate vehicles. I tried the S4, the Q50 Red Sport and on a whim tried the Corvette. Fell in love with it and got it at a killer price basically on par with a G70. It had performance and (subjectively) I felt the interior was close to the interior of the G70. Not AS nice but not in such a huge gap as someone makes it out to be.

Look, there are others out there open to a wide range of vehicles. Some look at the performance aspect of the G70 as the main selling point. If it’s performace you want I only offered a link to something that can outperform it at a similar price. If you aren’t interested fine. But if I can find one person to say “Wow that’s a great deal”, which it is, I’m happy to help and offer an alternative.

It's really tough to beat the performance value you get out of the Corvette, along with many other domestic performance cars.

For me it's not an option for several reasons. I want all wheel drive. I need back seats because I have a young family. I want luxury, and I love he features you get with the G70. I want something that doesn't scream "look at me I'm so fast" - I've been on the wrong side of the law (as far as traffic related crimes as concerned) when I was younger and I'd rather drive something relatively subtle, all while still offering a lot of performance for the price. Lastly, and I mean no offence to anyone, but the 'vette just looks so damn redneck! Same with the Camaro and mustang.. Despite the unbeatable value for performance, those cars are of no interest to me.

mikemu30

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It's really tough to beat the performance value you get out of the Corvette, along with many other domestic performance cars.

For me it's not an option for several reasons. I want all wheel drive. I need back seats because I have a young family. I want luxury, and I love he features you get with the G70. I want something that doesn't scream "look at me I'm so fast" - I've been on the wrong side of the law (as far as traffic related crimes as concerned) when I was younger and I'd rather drive something relatively subtle, all while still offering a lot of performance for the price. Lastly, and I mean no offence to anyone, but the 'vette just looks so damn redneck! Same with the Camaro and mustang.. Despite the unbeatable value for performance, those cars are of no interest to me.
Point well taken. The thread should probably say "comparable" alternatives.

Gee Bee

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
Well if we’re talking 2 seater sports cars sign me up for an ND2 Miata.

RWD + Stick + Vert/Targa + Steering feel + Revs to 8500 rpms = winning < $35k

If you want extra power throw on a BBR turbo from Flyin Miata and you have a great canyon carver that is bullet proof reliable. The C7 has way too much power to applied lawfully in the Street and it will be in the shop every other month.

Last edited:

Tonester

SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Francisco, CA - Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Excellent point @Toddasaurus! There are so many niches the G70 fulfills: Performance, Value, Luxury, etc. If you take "alternatives" to mean any one of these, then there are lots of alternatives. BUT if you take all of the attributes of the G70 and put them together, there are very few alternatives. Agreed the thread title should probably say "comparable alternatives" as @mikemu30 says unless you enjoy all the drama here! ;)

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well if we’re talking 2 seater sports cars sign me up for an ND2 Miata.

RWD + Stick + Vert/Targa + Steering feel + Revs to 8500 rpms = winning < $35k

If you want extra power throw on a BBR turbo from Flyin Miata and you have a great canyon carver that is bullet proof reliable. The C7 has way too much power to applied lawfully in the Street and it will be in the shop every other month.
I am definitely interested in getting a used 2019 mx-5 RF as a weekend car in a few years, it looks gorgeous and slow car fast has its charm. I don't know if it's worth 35k new though. Until then, the G70 is such a good all arounder that it'll keep me entertained and address both of my needs as a daily commuter and fun weekend car for now.

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Rmsanger

I am definitely interested in getting a used 2019 mx-5 RF as a weekend car in a few years, it looks gorgeous and slow car fast has its charm. I don't know if it's worth 35k new though. Until then, the G70 is such a good all arounder that it'll keep me entertained and address both of my needs as a daily commuter and fun weekend car for now.
Worth is highly subjective but any vehicle only being used 2 days per week would be hard to swallow $35k payment on. In an era where well loaded Accords and Camrys are over $40k the perceived value has to be altered from historical norms.

1 year old GT 2.6K miles for $24k.... not sure you will find a vehicle offering much more fun per $

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/756146153/overview/

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The gauges in the G70 remind me of the simplicty and clarity of the classic BMW style. Wonder if Albert Biermann tried to get the Genesis people to do the tach on the right? 🤔
View attachment 17707
Speedo is too crammed with numbers. It doesn't need to go to 180mph, does it? The car is limited well under that. I think there is a center digital option, though.

Rmsanger

Evidently with some tuning it can reach up to 300km/h (~186mph). Take a look at the video below...

(Speed test begins at 0:40 mark)
Hmm I didn’t realize that a Dyno was a good indicator for top speed? I assume there would be limiting factors like drag, downforce, and etc....

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hmm I didn’t realize that a Dyno was a good indicator for top speed? I assume there would be limiting factors like drag, downforce, and etc....
Well, I don't care either way as to wether or not it's a legit speed test. It's never a speed I'll be trying to get to. Just thought it was a fitting response for not using the entire spectrum of the speedometer.

You can always call/email Lap3 and see what they have to say for themselves.

Rmsanger

Well, I don't care either way as to wether or not it's a legit speed test. It's never a speed I'll be trying to get to. Just thought it was a fitting response for not using the entire spectrum of the speedometer.

You can always call/email Lap3 and see what they have to say for themselves.
My point was less about attacking the credibility of your post and an honest question. I always thought that once an electronic governor is removed most of the powerful cars top speed are limited by physics (drag coef, downforce, wind resistance, etc). I’d be very impressed if the g70 can actually hit those speeds IRL.