Alternatives to G70?

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ground clearance is a problem in my S4, which is about an inch higher than the G70. (At least the Sport G70 I measured at the car show). Quattro traction is great, but big chunks of ice on the road beats up the bottom of the car and front plastics. Deep snow turns the car into a snow plow.
I am unsure if my numbers are correct but from what I see online, the G70 has 130mm of ground clearance, I believe the RWD ones are a tad lower, and the S4 has 120mm. But it may be different ways to measure or something.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Decided on Certified BMW 2016 535i. Drives great. Was half the cost of the original price new, lease return, meticulousy serviced, super clean and under 40K miles.

I will still check out the G70 when and if it ever gets on sale in California, but this will be a nice car for now.
Congrats Ed!

Not a bad way to go.

At the Philly car show, Genesis was placed right at one of the entrances, so it got a lot of attention. G70 looked great, but it's impractical for most buyers. It's just not where the market is at right now.
As noted, there are other markets where sedans are still popular, esp. of this size in Europe (for example, 7 of the top 10 sellers in the UK in 2018 were still cars).

MB still sold nearly 55k of the C Class and BMW, nearly 76k of the 3/4 Series here last year.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That 535i M sport is what I came from before the G70. It is a great car, but wasn't for me. I had major buyers remorse mainly due to the handling being so much worse than my 335 from before. It was just too big and soft of a car for me. The G70 is the right size (again for me) and the handling is night and day compared to the 5 series.

Still it was a great highway car and very comfortable. I compared it to the Genesis at the time and preferred it. I did the Dinan upgrade though which was well worth it. :)

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Soma

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
An SUV/CUV vs a sports sedan? Bit of a stretch, no?

With that said, if it's in the same price range its technically comparable based on that

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
An SUV/CUV vs a sports sedan? Bit of a stretch, no?

With that said, if it's in the same price range its technically comparable based on that
They said GV70, not G70 lol. They're talking about the future Genesis crossover.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yeah...but the thread is titled Alternatives to G70, not Direct Competitors to G70...sheesh. ;)
Exactly..."alternatives to the G70". You are comparing a Lincoln to a GV70...which does not exist in any way.
So your post does not belong here...at all.

Soma

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Exactly..."alternatives to the G70". You are comparing a Lincoln to a GV70...which does not exist in any way.
So your post does not belong here...at all.
Ain't worth the argument. Vote with your $$$ on what you prefer. I'll take some blame for not reading correctly, but it's pretty obvious why I misread that.

Ruach

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
For those of you considering alternatives to G70...Sonata 2020 N line is confirmed.

Those hoping for a sportier version of the new-gen Sonata will have to wait until 2020, too, as “not long after that (the Sonata Hybrid’s unveiling), we’ll introduce the next model in our N Line”, said Smith. “A high-performance turbocharged Sonata, with over 275 horsepower.”

I'm assuming they are using the same 2.0T engine from the i30 N, i30 Fastback N, Veloster N, and G70 2.0T...?
I know Sonata is bit bigger than G70 and is not considered as luxury class, but it could be an alternative for those of you who were considering G70 2.0T with bigger rear seat leg room.

Hyundai Confirms 2020 Sonata N With Over 275HP As Well As Hybrid Version | Carscoops

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For those of you considering alternatives to G70...Sonata 2020 N line is confirmed.

Those hoping for a sportier version of the new-gen Sonata will have to wait until 2020, too, as “not long after that (the Sonata Hybrid’s unveiling), we’ll introduce the next model in our N Line”, said Smith. “A high-performance turbocharged Sonata, with over 275 horsepower.”

I'm assuming they are using the same 2.0T engine from the i30 N, i30 Fastback N, Veloster N, and G70 2.0T...?
I know Sonata is bit bigger than G70 and is not considered as luxury class, but it could be an alternative for those of you who were considering G70 2.0T with bigger rear seat leg room.
Hyundai Confirms 2020 Sonata N With Over 275HP As Well As Hybrid Version | Carscoops
Nope...not a comparison.

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Is anybody bothered by the interior of the new Sonata? It upsets me that the G70 seems like its missing things in terms of a larger center screen and a digital cluster.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Is anybody bothered by the interior of the new Sonata? It upsets me that the G70 seems like its missing things in terms of a larger center screen and a digital cluster.
I think they're just going to do a trickle up type thing. I bet the mid cycle refresh of the G70 is gonna be amazing.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.