Alternatives to G70?

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My point was less about attacking the credibility of your post and an honest question. I always thought that once an electronic governor is removed most of the powerful cars top speed are limited by physics (drag coef, downforce, wind resistance, etc). I’d be very impressed if the g70 can actually hit those speeds IRL.
It can...there are real on-road videos to prove it :)

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The 2.0T has a 300km speedo too!
I doubt it would see more than 250kmh without mods!

Toddasaurus

Robots, lasers, dinosaurs.
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My point was less about attacking the credibility of your post and an honest question. I always thought that once an electronic governor is removed most of the powerful cars top speed are limited by physics (drag coef, downforce, wind resistance, etc). I’d be very impressed if the g70 can actually hit those speeds IRL.
You and me both. Even so, I'd never dare to go that fast, even on a track, I'm not nearly a good enough driver for in case something went wrong.

Makes me think of this example of a modified mini on the nürburgring. Skip to 5:51 and watch him control some oversteer after passing another car... Haha

If it were me, I would've ended up permanently embedded into one of the barriers.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ damn that looked fun. amazing track. i didn't realize the elevation changes. surprised how he blew by all those bikes. if his time was 9+ minutes imagine how insane some of these production-car records must be. Civic Type R, GTR, Porsche GT2, etc. some of those are below 7 mins i believe.

Ed Okin

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Southern California, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Decided on Certified BMW 2016 535i. Drives great. Was half the cost of the original price new, lease return, meticulousy serviced, super clean and under 40K miles.

I will still check out the G70 when and if it ever gets on sale in California, but this will be a nice car for now.
Congratulations! Welcome to the “I was waiting on Genesis but got a BMW instead” club. Good luck, be safe and enjoy.

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
At the Philly car show, Genesis was placed right at one of the entrances, so it got a lot of attention. G70 looked great, but it's impractical for most buyers. It's just not where the market is at right now.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
At the Philly car show, Genesis was placed right at one of the entrances, so it got a lot of attention. G70 looked great, but it's impractical for most buyers. It's just not where the market is at right now.
I don't think they are bucking to the market trend with any of their sedans. They're just filling a niche market for RWD based sport sedans.
It's a perfect blend of European performance with Japanese like reliability!
Would really like to see what their SUVs will turn out to be!

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't think they are bucking to the market trend with any of their sedans. They're just filling a niche market for RWD based sport sedans.
It's a perfect blend of European performance with Japanese like reliability!
Would really like to see what their SUVs will turn out to be!
Yes, agree. If the GV70 carries over the fun and style of the G70, it’s a winner.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

xKingfisher

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
AIUI, sedans are still popular in Korea, so that alone is enough reason for Genesis to keep making them.

It's also a prestige thing. They're a 'real' luxury brand because they can build a good 3 series competitor.

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Are you suggesting it should then be discontinued? If impractical cars were eliminated your choices in the showroom would be Ford Explorer and Toyota Corolla.

What counts is that there are enough buyers to make it profitable. The SUVs are coming, but I'm not interested in them.
The G70 would have been more appealing to me if it was a few inches larger, like the A4/S4. A larger trunk, more roominess and a little higher ground clearance for the snow belt. In fact, I wish the G70 was the Stinger size with a liftback. But it is what it is.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The G70 would have been more appealing to me if it was a few inches larger, like the A4/S4. A larger trunk, more roominess and a little higher ground clearance for the snow belt. In fact, I wish the G70 was the Stinger size with a liftback. But it is what it is.
Can't compare it with the A4 cause of how the actual packaging works. Even though the A4 is a longitudinal engine, it is packaged like a FWD car like the Subaru is. So it benefits from all the pluses of a FWD car in terms of interior space sans the driveshaft tunnel. Audi pushes their engines close to the nose of the vehicles.
The G70 is directly comparable to the 3 series, C Class, and IS. The Q is slightly larger for its class.

nsyedhasan

Registered Member
Toronto
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah I was in the same boat, I would have liked the extra space. It is going to be a car for mostly my dad's commute and then for short trips, since we have another midsize car for longer trips.

I am not sure if the ground clearance will be that much of a factor.

Electrode

Registered Member
Southeastern PA, US
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yeah I was in the same boat, I would have liked the extra space. It is going to be a car for mostly my dad's commute and then for short trips, since we have another midsize car for longer trips.

I am not sure if the ground clearance will be that much of a factor.
Ground clearance is a problem in my S4, which is about an inch higher than the G70. (At least the Sport G70 I measured at the car show). Quattro traction is great, but big chunks of ice on the road beats up the bottom of the car and front plastics. Deep snow turns the car into a snow plow.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.