Alternatives to G70?

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
At the risk of being one of *those* people, I fetishized the Supra growing up in the 90's and early 2000's, and the new one is a bit of a disappointment. I think if they had stretched it into a 2+2 and given it a targa top it would have been really cool.

But the real killer is no manual transmission. If I'm going to buy an impractical sports car, I want to row my own gears.

Also, it's not like BMW doesn't have a manual that hooks up to that engine.

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
At the risk of being one of *those* people, I fetishized the Supra growing up in the 90's and early 2000's, and the new one is a bit of a disappointment. I think if they had stretched it into a 2+2 and given it a targa top it would have been really cool.

But the real killer is no manual transmission. If I'm going to buy an impractical sports car, I want to row my own gears.

Yeah I read the reddit thread where TST compares it to be close to an M2C rather than the 718. I think the extra money for the M2C for its better visibility, rear seats, and choice of manual or dual clutch is worth the premium. Looks better too.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

2+2 would be awesome and more practical.
Something tells me that it rides like a gokart with a wheelbase shorter that the GT86.
As far as a MT though, seems like more manufacturers are realising that the market is too niche. The ZF is so good and so adaptable.
Heck if you say 8-speed ZF, reviewers get a boner and automatically praise it.
If Genesis didn't say their 8-speed was in-house, reviewers would have guessed ZF. The fact that they said it was their own automatically triggered a response that it is slower than the ZF even though Genesis claimed it is as good as the ZF!

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah I read the reddit thread where TST compares it to be close to an M2C rather than the 718. I think the extra money for the M2C for its better visibility, rear seats, and choice of manual or dual clutch is worth the premium. Looks better too.
I actually never thought about comparing it to the M2, but that's an excellent point. Comparably priced too.

It's unfortunate I heard the next 2-series is migrating to a FWD platform. Makes business sense (as does the death of the manual), but I'm still going to grumble about it.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Something tells me that it rides like a gokart with a wheelbase shorter that the GT86.
As far as a MT though, seems like more manufacturers are realising that the market is too niche. The ZF is so good and so adaptable.
If Genesis didn't say their 8-speed was in-house, reviewers would have guessed ZF. The fact that they said it was their own automatically triggered a response that it is slower than the ZF even though Genesis claimed it is as good as the ZF!
I've driven a couple of BMW's with the ZF and they really were good. Oddly, I drove a rental challenger with the same ZF and didn't like it as much. Maybe it's FCA's programming.

Manual can't be beat for involvement. The only thing I ask from an automatic is to not remind me that it's there. My G37's crappy 7-speed automatic does that far too often.

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Not discussing the quality of the ZF 8 speed (it is really good, I drove a few cars with it and it is as good as it gets as far as auto is concerned), however, I tend to be very careful about the media praise (I shall even say "hype") after getting burned a few years ago with the DSG gearbox in my VW R32: 10 years ago EVERYONE kept raving about how the DSG was the best thing ever. I leased my R32 because of it and after a few weeks commuting with it, I started considering seriously getting rid of it and go either with a good auto or a manual (I ended up choosing the latter), the thing was dreadful in stop and go traffic and I did not flag that in my short test drive (on a weekend, close proximity to the dealership). Now I know that the 8 speed ZF is not the same story but I take media praise with a HUGE grain of salt since then. Plus they also have a filter comparing new cars with other new cars and sometimes forgetting that some new cars are still far away in term of fun and involvement than some cars from 10 years ago. The new G20 3-Series is a perfect example: some (not all) reviewers are all excited because it is not as bad as the F30 but they tend to forget that the E92 was still a much more fun and "connected" car (and ti came with a manual and a fantastic steering)...

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Those ZF's transmissions are violent in the best of ways, but most people don't regularly drive their car that hard or manually shift their cars.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

I agree to a certain extent. If they said the G70 had a ZF unit I bet you'd be right in that everyone would've believed it. But when programmed right, the ZF is just so dang quick!! It sometimes feels violent on how snappy it can shift. I love it.

Don't get me wrong, though, the G70's 8spd is still good. It downshifts very quickly, but to me the upshifts are a little slower than my experience with the ZF. Again, ours is good, but I'm a little sad that there is something a tad quicker out there that I wish we had. Oh well, still love my car.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I agree to a certain extent. If they said the G70 had a ZF unit I bet you'd be right in that everyone would've believed it. But when programmed right, the ZF is just so dang quick!! It sometimes feels violent on how snappy it can shift. I love it.

Don't get me wrong, though, the G70's 8spd is still good. It downshifts very quickly, but to me the upshifts are a little slower than my experience with the ZF. Again, ours is good, but I'm a little sad that there is something a tad quicker out there that I wish we had. Oh well, still love my car.
Tell me "ours is good" one more time and I'll believe you :hillarious:

Btw, it is

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I personally think the new Supra looks awesome. I would have bought one if it had 4 seats. I was following the development ever since they first announced the FT-1, but as soon as I found out it was a 2 seater I was out. 4 seats is a requirement for me due to the fam situation.

Less HP and torque than our cars, but it launches 0-60 quicker. That's what lighter weight and a proper launch control will do for you!! I assume it has shorter gear ratios, too.

Edit: BTW, I'm sure most already know this, but Mazda is saying they've got a new straight 6 in the works. Could be cool, but I've waited on them for so damn long I don't even care what they say anymore.

Mazda Is Going Big, Planning a New Rear-Wheel-Drive Platform and Inline-Six Engines

Last edited:

Rmsanger

I personally think the new Supra looks awesome. I would have bought one if it had 4 seats. I was following the development ever since they first announced the FT-1, but as soon as I found out it was a 2 seater I was out. 4 seats is a requirement for me due to the fam situation.

Less HP and torque than our cars, but it launches 0-60 quicker. That's what lighter weight and a proper launch control will do for you!! I assume it has shorter gear ratios, too.

Edit: BTW, I'm sure most already know this, but Mazda is saying they've got a new straight 6 in the works. Could be cool, but I've waited on them for so damn long I don't even care what they say anymore.

Mazda Is Going Big, Planning a New Rear-Wheel-Drive Platform and Inline-Six Engines
yeah the news is 2025 at the earliest with that I6 from Ma-zu-duh..... Toyota said it would have cost them $300M to develop their own I6 for the Supra and would have completely killed the business case for them. Mazda must be 100% in on becoming a performance brand. I can only imagine what an MX5 would be like in stock form with a true I6. That is a vehicle I will start saving for!

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
yeah the news is 2025 at the earliest with that I6 from Ma-zu-duh..... Toyota said it would have cost them $300M to develop their own I6 for the Supra and would have completely killed the business case for them. Mazda must be 100% in on becoming a performance brand. I can only imagine what an MX5 would be like in stock form with a true I6. That is a vehicle I will start saving for!
How about a modern re-imagining of the RX8, basically a stretched miata platform with the I6? I had a 2006 miata for a couple of years (in NYC no less) and though it was definitely a compromised daily driver, that car was fun like no other I've driven. A slightly more roomy and civilized version with most of the fun would be a great balance.

Rmsanger

We Test the 2020 Toyota Supra: Zero to 60 in 3.8 Seconds

Holy crap here is what C&D got from the Supra:

C/D TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 3.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.5 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 26.8 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.5 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 113 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 148 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.07 g

It doesn't just out-accelerate the G70 by a little that is alot. Plus I'm sure the tranny can put the power down so the after market will turn this into a low 3 second / low 11 second car. Also the skidpad is incredible as it doesn't even have great tires on it.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

C/D TEST RESULTS

It doesn't just out-accelerate the G70 by a little that is alot. Plus I'm sure the tranny can put the power down so the after market will turn this into a low 3 second / low 11 second car. Also the skidpad is incredible as it doesn't even have great tires on it.
Being about 500lbs lighter helps.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Being about 500lbs lighter helps.
Also those BMW turbo sixes are consistently underrated in terms of the power they're putting to the wheels.

ninac

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

C/D TEST RESULTS

Wow, that's pretty fast. I wonder what the markup is going to end up being trying to get one of these.

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think the Supra won't age well. All the controversy about them working with BMW (I do not mind though) won't help it either. I think used they'll take a good hit. Unless they make a limited number of them.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think the Supra won't age well. All the controversy about them working with BMW (I do not mind though) won't help it either. I think used they'll take a good hit. Unless they make a limited number of them.
The front end does not look modern enough. I like the rear end.
I'll be honest, I don't think the front end of the G70 will age well either. All the little Hyundai models look similar from far. Grille shape, foglamp/turn signal shape, and general headlight look sans the DRL!
f$%k some of the even have the dark chrome trim!