• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Alternatives to G70?

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If they come out with a manual and power bump in a trd spec in 1-2 years all will be forgiven and the Supra fanboys will eat them right up.
But if they don't have Toyota quality and shit starts breaking down like BMW in 4 years, I'm not sure how many people are going to want to buy em new

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
But if they don't have Toyota quality and shit starts breaking down like BMW in 4 years, I'm not sure how many people are going to want to buy em new
I think one of the review mentions that Toyota took apart the inline 6 and noted every part of concern and made sure it was up to their standards.

Antimatter

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I’m in the minority here but I’m comparing the G70 to the Golf R. 2 GTIs in the past so I’m not sure if I’m ready to give up the hatchback practicality.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’m in the minority here but I’m comparing the G70 to the Golf R. 2 GTIs in the past so I’m not sure if I’m ready to give up the hatchback practicality.
i cross shopped the R before I bought my G70! not a bad little car and definitely cant beat the hatch practicality. If you like the hatch, you should check the stinger too.

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Golf R is great, I considered it for a while but having had a '08 R32, I know I would miss the balance of a RWD car with a well-positioned engine (behind the front axle), the Gold R has less weight in the front but physics is what it is...

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The R is a rocket. Like a bat out of hell. I was getting a hell of a deal on it. They were bending backwards to sell it to me. But in the end of the day, there were too many blank buttons for my liking and I really wanted the Euro spec infotainment which was bigger and dual projected the Maps on dash and infotainment.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Change of subject. Car and Driver dyno'd the new Toyota Supra. Looks like it's putting down more power than advertised...

The 2020 Toyota Supra Makes More Power Than Toyota Claims

...turns out it's not just the lighter weight that makes it quick, but they are liars and it actually makes more power than they say it does. Haha.

339WHP, 427WTQ! That's pretty dang good.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Change of subject. Car and Driver dyno'd the new Toyota Supra. Looks like it's putting down more power than advertised...

...turns out it's not just the lighter weight that makes it quick, but they are liars and it actually makes more power than they say it does. Haha.

Sometimes I wonder if people are reading correctly (reviewers, not you). While most claim HP figures at the crank because they're higher, I have very seldom seen a manufacturer specify where exactly they are measuring from (crank, wheel, or otherwise). Technically they didn't lie, right? Unless you count the 4hp numerical difference

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

They carried over the underrating from BMW I suppose. Common practice on both turbo 4's and 6's for them.

g704get

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Im cross shopping the Audi S3, which might as well be a Golf R w/ a trunk.

I'm literally probably leaning 51% S3, 49% G70 right now. That Audi full digital dashboard instrument cluster is awesome (and I'm in IT systems so like having techy things. The horsepower is less but the car is way smaller so the difference in 0-60 times is negligible. Need to drive both to feel the steering.

Golf R is on my price / options tracking spreadsheet along w the WRX and STI to remind me of how much less you can spend to get a fast enough car w/ great handling and terrific steering feel with every option you want.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
S3 looks great but I can't get over how sparse and basic the dash looks... Sporty but not much luxury in the car either. The digital dash is great like you mention but I think that will wear off quick...

ndg

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Don't think this is weird at all because they were also my final two contenders :) I really really liked the driving experience of the R and I liked the size. I just felt I was giving up too much for it though (sunroof, vented seats) and the warranty/service difference. I also was a bit worried about the active suspension long term as these seem to be expensive maintenance items and I want a 10 year car (I also avoided it on the G70).

nezro

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Totally feel the hatchback love. I'm in a GTI now and waffling between a 6MT G70 and a Stinger GT mainly for the hatch. I really wish sedans of the future would go the hatch way.

For those having owned the IS350, does the G70 have the same solid feel long term? I'm seeing talks of rattles and such from the Stinger forums.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Totally feel the hatchback love. I'm in a GTI now and waffling between a 6MT G70 and a Stinger GT mainly for the hatch. I really wish sedans of the future would go the hatch way.

For those having owned the IS350, does the G70 have the same solid feel long term? I'm seeing talks of rattles and such from the Stinger forums.
Thus far I haven't noticed any rattles, or the feeling of a flexy frame. The car just feels incredibly tight, responsive, and buttoned down.

I'm with you in regards to hatchbacks. Super useful for a daily driver.

nezro

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Golf R is on my price / options tracking spreadsheet along w the WRX and STI to remind me of how much less you can spend to get a fast enough car w/ great handling and terrific steering feel with every option you want.
I think the Golf does a good job of splitting the difference in the 'real world'. I had a 2015 STI and it was just annoying to drive in a civilized matter. It wanted you to be going full out or it wasn't happy.

g704get

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think the Golf does a good job of splitting the difference in the 'real world'. I had a 2015 STI and it was just annoying to drive in a civilized matter. It wanted you to be going full out or it wasn't happy.
yeah that old school ej20 wants you to drive it like its a naturally aspirated v8, only comfy at high revs. i greatly prefer the more modern fa20 in my 2017 wrx.

if they'd updated that sti engine by now i'd probably still strongly consider the sti since you can now get the limited trim w/ a rear trunk lip spoiler like the wrx rather than the wing. mostly on account of the 6 speed and steering feel.

i dont want a hatchback so the closest thing to a golf that i'll end up with is an audi s3.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
yeah that old school ej20 wants you to drive it like its a naturally aspirated v8, only comfy at high revs. i greatly prefer the more modern fa20 in my 2017 wrx.

if they'd updated that sti engine by now i'd probably still strongly consider the sti since you can now get the limited trim w/ a rear trunk lip spoiler like the wrx rather than the wing. mostly on account of the 6 speed and steering feel.

i dont want a hatchback so the closest thing to a golf that i'll end up with is an audi s3.
Right? Haha. That old EJ257 has had only a couple, minor tiny tweaks since it was first introduced in the US. That thing is over 15 years old!! That engine badly needs a twin scroll turbo, and direct injection.... It only just now got stronger pistons and (I think) sodium filled exhaust valves. It's no wonder that car is as cheap as it is, they've cut costs by having virtually no engine R&D all this time.

Nevermind the fact that, generally speaking, flat fours are weaker, structurally, than their inline counterparts. Oh, and they're a huge PITA to work on.

Even so, despite all of this, at one time the drivetrain was a masterpiece - anything less would have no excuse to have this long of a service life. If Subaru had made a significant change to the STI's engine this year, I would have considered that car.

Last edited:

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I dont consider a Supra or any other all out sports car a comparison to a G70 or other sport sedan. A sports sedan is luxurious, sporty, and practical (more so than a sports car at least).

I cross shopped BMW 330i M Sport, C class, A4, and A5 Sportback. Chose the G70 for bang for buck, looks, interior, and all the gleaming reviews. For what any of those would have cost me for a base model, I was able to get a 3.3T sport. And, the interior is way nicer than a BMW which felt plasticky to me in comparison. The others just seemed boring to me. I also like the fact that there just arent any G70s on the road that I've seen. I probably see 10 of each of the others daily on my 50 mile commute. Now, if the weather would cooperate (daily T storms), I would actually drive it to work. Lol

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Having owned both a mark III and a IV and modded the day lights out of them, I did shed a tear or two, when I learned that the V will be 99% a BMW and 1% made by idiots that no longer have any clue what performance with inherent reliability actually looks like...
It is beyond sad to imagine that pathetic effort is the best they can come up with, while some people still insists that Hyundai are copy cats...:rolleyes:
Why bother with copying, when you can take someone else’s, slap a badge on it and call it your own...

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums