• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Alternatives to G70?

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The guys at TheStraightPipes really liked it. Here is a review they did a few months ago. They review 330 and the M340i.

While I like these guys, I've lost a bit of respect for them after hearing about their thoughts on the G70. To me, it seems like they took SavageGeese's criticism to heart and forgot that he ALWAYS talks shit on any car, unless it's a dedicated track Corvette or Viper. He just likes to play devil's advocate when it comes to popular up and coming cars, you can see it with almost every single car he reviews. Anyway, to me it seems like straight pipes aren't strong willed enough to think for themselves when it comes to peer's subjective opinions.

All of this said, I know they are in love with the M340i, but I have a suspicion that the G70 will have better suspension, steering, and overall handling than the BMW, along with a better interior with more features, especially for the price.
They drove a Euro spec car right?
The NA spec cars normally have a different suspension tuning for our roads.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I also sat in the new 3 Series interior. It's more spacious than the G70's in the front, but otherwise it just seems cheap. Most of the dashboard and doors just seem like they're covered with injection-molded soft plastic instead of vinyl/leather covered. I heard that it may actually be BMW's SensaTec, but then their SensaTec sucks lol. The door design is boring. The silver trim on the dashboard and center tunnel is plastic with what seems like a sticker overlayed to get that pattern on it LOL. The infotainment, screen size/proportion, and gauge cluster are nice though.

BMW just gives off the overall impression that they can half-ass quality and their customers won't care and will pay top dollar anyway because it's a Beemer. Maybe this isn't the case with their higher priced models and M cars, but you'll definitely be paying for those.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Last edited:

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I also sat in the new 3 Series interior. It's more spacious than the G70's in the front, but otherwise it just seems cheap. Most of the dashboard and doors just seem like they're covered with injection-molded soft plastic instead of vinyl/leather covered. I heard that it may actually be BMW's SensaTec, but then their SensaTec sucks lol. The door design is boring. The silver trim on the dashboard and center tunnel is plastic with what seems like a sticker overlayed to get that pattern on it LOL. The infotainment, screen size/proportion, and gauge cluster are nice though.

BMW just gives off the overall impression that they can half-ass quality and their customers won't care and will pay top dollar anyway because it's a Beemer. Maybe this isn't the case with their higher priced models and M cars, but you'll definitely be paying for those.
Our dashboard is injection molded as well. It just looks more premium with whatever surface material Genesis used.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Our dashboard is injection molded as well. It just looks more premium with whatever surface material Genesis used.
The top part in the back of the G70 is injection molded, but then it has the aluminum/plastic trim and then a vinyl/leather wrapped surface. The BMW 3 Series is just injection molded entirely and then the aluminum/plastic trim.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I believe so.
I think Savage was just pissed that he didn't get to go to the Genesis press events in the US and had to come up here to actually drive one. He sounded bitter reviewing it. More so than other cars.
Anyway I wouldn't even take the Straight Pipe guys driving impressions very seriously either. They get wood when they hear a nice exhaust note. Plus it's not like they're actual drivers. They're just enthusiasts. The Throttle House guy on the other hand is an actual time attack driver and tracks quite often. He's a big BMW guy and knows what he is talking about when it comes to actual drive feel!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think Savage was just pissed that he didn't get to go to the Genesis press events in the US and had to come up here to actually drive one. He sounded bitter reviewing it. More so than other cars.
Anyway I wouldn't even take the Straight Pipe guys driving impressions very seriously either. They get wood when they hear a nice exhaust note. Plus it's not like they're actual drivers. They're just enthusiasts. The Throttle House guy on the other hand is an actual time attack driver and tracks quite often. He's a big BMW guy and knows what he is talking about when it comes to actual drive feel!
Agreed. I've really grown to love Throttle House. His videos are just getting better and better, and they were already really good and informative to begin with. I really like his positive outlook on everything - he really appreciates cars as they are, but is realistic about the target consumer each car was designed for. The fact that he has done his own work on his BMW's, and has actual track experience, really ties everything together nicely.

jailer

Been here awhile...
At first I was'nt TOO keen on the G70 looks.. however NOW.. I keep looking at the profiles of the G70 and the new 3 series.. and I am surprised to say the G70 DOES look better IMO.. from the side angles , quarters and the rear. It's a little THICKER it seems which just adds a little heft in a positive way. From the front the 3 looks great but from the side the 3 is a little THIN looking and the rear is VERY close to a Lexus IS.

What seems more or less consistent in the reviews I've read with the two of them is the G70 has the better feel and steering and the power is pretty close with both 6 cylinders. The ZF unit might have a hair quicker shifts but that is a joke for most people. It just does'nt matter for the far majority.

I keep looking at the two interiors.. at first I was'nt on the G70 here either.. but now it looks badass IMO.. and just has more "substance" than the BMW. The integrated screen I will give BMW the nod.. as I don't like the tacked on tablet looking units like the G70 but it's nothing to cry about.

What you have to really consider with the BMW .. IMO... is where the car is being built. This first batch coming out is from the German plant which substantiates quite a bit more of their cost, although they are on the high side with competitors. SOON.. they will be coming from MEXICO.. so you guys need to do your research and figure out what a fair price is. They are saving quite a bit I would imagine with those workers putting the cars together.. their wage is not even in the realm of other developed countries and Mexico just does'nt have a good rep with regard to being attentive and getting details perfect. Asian countries, especially Japan and S.Korea have impeccable reputation for fit finish and anything else bolted, screwed, wiring...... etc.. even though there is alot of automation there is still a HUGE human element involved.

If you are looking at a new 3.. then CHECK THE VIN.. Make sure it has a W at the beginning. If it has a 3.. that is Mexico.. so offer a LARGE SUM less and stay there IMO. Part of buying a BMW is having the thing built in Germany.. and I know there are many other successful plants but that's my take anyway.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For pure entertainment purposes I prefer the Straight Pipe boys. They have an undeniable chemistry, and I find that they are pretty hilarious. For more serious reviews I prefer Throttle House. They come across as very professional, but still manage to mix in some humour which I appreciate. I tend to stay away from SavageGeese reviews, I find that he is extremely long winded, and too prone to nitpicking for my tastes.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What seems more or less consistent in the reviews I've read with the two of them is the G70 has the better feel and steering and the power is pretty close with both 6 cylinders. The ZF unit might have a hair quicker shifts but that is a joke for most people. It just does'nt matter for the far majority.
This is true. The one thing I noticed between the G70 transmission and the popular ZF tranny, found specifically in the Giulia, is that thing shifts so dang quick. Even though the G70 shifts nice and quick, and ZF is just snappier. Still, I'm happy with the the G70's shifts, but I kinda wish Genesis used the ZF unit instead of their own.

Oh well. Still love my car as it is.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had a Giulia and the ZF is nice. Has a ton of issues with the restart though - at least on the Giulia. You get this massive shift shock when you floor it or when the Auto S/S restarts the car.

jailer

Been here awhile...
I had a Giulia and the ZF is nice. Has a ton of issues with the restart though - at least on the Giulia. You get this massive shift shock when you floor it or when the Auto S/S restarts the car.

Why did you get rid of the Giulia and do you miss it ??

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I miss how quick it was. I got rid of it because the lease was up and FCA is horrible company and I git tired of dealing with them.
I am very interested in your experience: I am currently on the market, leaning towards a G70 RWD 3.3t Sport but the Giulia Ti Sport is a close second. How would you compare them in term of driving experience and overall everyday use?

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a G70 2.0T so the 3.3t will be much more powerful.

I cannot say enough horrible things about FCA. If you car has any issues be prepared to be angry a lot. I used to get Chysler and Dodge minivans as loaner vehicles.

Here is what I wrote on the Giulia forum: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/289-alfa-romeo-giulia-general-discussion/43996-bought-genesis-g70-ask-me-anything-1.html

So the lease is up in a few months so I have been planning on the "next" vehicle. I didn't want another Alfa as the parent company, Chrysler, pissed me off so bad...not going to cover all of my issues here.

Anyway, I had been looking at many, many cars: Audi A4, A5, Merc C, Mazda (really wanted to see the new Mazda3 hatch), Volovo S60 (new one), Infinity Q50, Lexus IS. I had been stalking the Genesis G70's online through reviews and news.

They finally got off the truck this past weekend here in Houston. Went to "just look" - still have 3 months left on the lease - and fell hard. Plus, the dealer basically paid off the lease (so now I have 2 cars
).

I bought a G70 2.0T Prestige with AWD in Black and the Grey Interior.

First impressions:

1. The car isn't as hard charging as the Giulia. It will get down and move but not in that "oh this car is fast" type of way.
  2. Driving is much more "Asian" than Italian or even German. Meaning that the steering is sharp/precise but heavy - feels like a Mazda or an IS Lexus. Brakes are not as twitchy at low speeds and the pedal feel is pretty heavy but easy to modulate. Suspension is firm but not harsh - over big bumps she stays planted and flat but doesn't kill your tail bone.
  3. The car was designed for a shorter person. I'm 6'1" and in my boots hard to get fully comfy. The bottom cushion could use a touch more padding and be a bit longer. Plus, the front of the bottom cushion doesn't tilt up far enough for me. I drive in a pretty aggressive (knees up) type of posture and there is a gap between my thighs and the bottom cushion. I still think it'll be comfy on an all day drive, however.
  4. If you are a tech guy/gal this car is great. Has all the toys!
    1. Hello AC seats!
    2. Hello starting the car from my phone. I walked to the car in the 30 degF garage this morning and the seat and wheel and car was already warm.
    3. Hello HUD
    4. Hello 360 camera
    5. Hello Qi charging
    6. Hello Android Auto and CarPlay
    7. Hello auto-opening trunk
    8. Hello traffic on the navi
  5. The backup camera/360 camera fills up the touchscreen!
  6. The auto start/stop stays off in Sport Mode automatically!!!!!!!!! (turns out to not be true)
    1. Seems like it always starts in Comfort mode though (so by default the AutoS/S is on) - maybe you can change this but I haven't figured out how yet.
    2. There is a custom setting for the car tuning
  7. The limo-style front-passenger seat is neat but silly in the US and especially in a sports sedan
  8. For a while at least, I'm the only person in a 10 mile radius to own one
  9. The interior is very nice but a bit "over the top". There are like 3 colors of thread between the seats and doors. Multiple textures of metal inlay. Multiple plastics. Multiple piping choices on the seats. The leather isn't as nice feeling as the Alfa (even though it's a Nappa leather)
  10. The USB is not voice controlled, I loved this on the Alfa "Play Megadeth" then boom
  11. The voice control works a lot better in the G70
  12. The Alfa Lusso package is just beautiful inside and out. The G70 is nice but nowhere in the same league
    1. The light interior of the G70 still came with BLACK CARPETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's all I have right now...

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a G70 2.0T so the 3.3t will be much more powerful.

I cannot say enough horrible things about FCA. If you car has any issues be prepared to be angry a lot. I used to get Chysler and Dodge minivans as loaner vehicles.

Here is what I wrote on the Giulia forum: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/289-alfa-romeo-giulia-general-discussion/43996-bought-genesis-g70-ask-me-anything-1.html

So the lease is up in a few months so I have been planning on the "next" vehicle. I didn't want another Alfa as the parent company, Chrysler, pissed me off so bad...not going to cover all of my issues here.

Anyway, I had been looking at many, many cars: Audi A4, A5, Merc C, Mazda (really wanted to see the new Mazda3 hatch), Volovo S60 (new one), Infinity Q50, Lexus IS. I had been stalking the Genesis G70's online through reviews and news.

They finally got off the truck this past weekend here in Houston. Went to "just look" - still have 3 months left on the lease - and fell hard. Plus, the dealer basically paid off the lease (so now I have 2 cars
).

I bought a G70 2.0T Prestige with AWD in Black and the Grey Interior.

First impressions:

1. The car isn't as hard charging as the Giulia. It will get down and move but not in that "oh this car is fast" type of way.
  2. Driving is much more "Asian" than Italian or even German. Meaning that the steering is sharp/precise but heavy - feels like a Mazda or an IS Lexus. Brakes are not as twitchy at low speeds and the pedal feel is pretty heavy but easy to modulate. Suspension is firm but not harsh - over big bumps she stays planted and flat but doesn't kill your tail bone.
  3. The car was designed for a shorter person. I'm 6'1" and in my boots hard to get fully comfy. The bottom cushion could use a touch more padding and be a bit longer. Plus, the front of the bottom cushion doesn't tilt up far enough for me. I drive in a pretty aggressive (knees up) type of posture and there is a gap between my thighs and the bottom cushion. I still think it'll be comfy on an all day drive, however.
  4. If you are a tech guy/gal this car is great. Has all the toys!
    1. Hello AC seats!
    2. Hello starting the car from my phone. I walked to the car in the 30 degF garage this morning and the seat and wheel and car was already warm.
    3. Hello HUD
    4. Hello 360 camera
    5. Hello Qi charging
    6. Hello Android Auto and CarPlay
    7. Hello auto-opening trunk
    8. Hello traffic on the navi
  5. The backup camera/360 camera fills up the touchscreen!
  6. The auto start/stop stays off in Sport Mode automatically!!!!!!!!! (turns out to not be true)
    1. Seems like it always starts in Comfort mode though (so by default the AutoS/S is on) - maybe you can change this but I haven't figured out how yet.
    2. There is a custom setting for the car tuning
  7. The limo-style front-passenger seat is neat but silly in the US and especially in a sports sedan
  8. For a while at least, I'm the only person in a 10 mile radius to own one
  9. The interior is very nice but a bit "over the top". There are like 3 colors of thread between the seats and doors. Multiple textures of metal inlay. Multiple plastics. Multiple piping choices on the seats. The leather isn't as nice feeling as the Alfa (even though it's a Nappa leather)
  10. The USB is not voice controlled, I loved this on the Alfa "Play Megadeth" then boom
  11. The voice control works a lot better in the G70
  12. The Alfa Lusso package is just beautiful inside and out. The G70 is nice but nowhere in the same league
    1. The light interior of the G70 still came with BLACK CARPETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's all I have right now...
Now you just need to JB4 that sucker. Easy 40-50whp gain.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums