Alternatives to G70?

jailer

Been here awhile...
What do you guys think about the new CT5-V, as compared to the G70?

The CT5-V will be significantly lighter, with a weight of 3,660 lbs in RWD (2020 Cadillac CT5: The Complete Details), as compared to the G70 around 3,800 lbs. The CT5-V will also have more torque at 400 ft/lbs (This Is The 2020 Cadillac CT5-V), versus the G70 at 376 ft/lbs. The CT5-V is down slightly on power with only 355hp, versus 365hp in the G70.
I think you are referring to the CT5. Not the CT5-V.

soundman414

Registered Member
Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think you are referring to the CT5. Not the CT5-V.
The new CT5-V, unlike past Vs, is simply a trim level that matches up to what the G70 Sport is. They decided to dilute the V brand into what was the V-Sport. There will be additional higher performance CT5 models in the future... Who knows what they will be called.

So you can reference the technical data in the first link I shared, where there are weights and measures of the CT5... the CT5-V has minor changes, mostly aesthetic, but a few component changes like brakes, exhaust, intake, etc.

Pricing is also going to be very similar to the G70 Sport, with the CT5-V being estimated somewhere in the $50k range.

I think the CT5-V will be competitive to the G70 sport.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looks like the 4 and 5 are the same car minus the roof line. Confusing. I think they look bland and more like Chevys than Cadillacs. GM has lost it's way again. I sold a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE (to get the G70) which was an utter beast and a fantastic car built for road courses and backed by a track use supported warranty. It and a Corvette Grand Sport were the only GM products I considered.

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Will be interesting to see how they stack up against each other. I like the CT5's new front end, but I really don't like those rear quarter panels... I think the CT5 might be bigger than the G70, whereas the CT4 may be more of a direct comparison? Maybe I'm wrong here. I'm not seeing the dimensions anywhere (though I didn't look very hard).
In that linked article..... "One of the biggest unknowns about the 2020 Cadillac CT5 is its size. Well, the new sedan rides on a 116 inch-long wheelbase, has a length of 193.8 inches and a width of 74.1 inches."

The CT5 is quite a bit longer. I think the CT4 will be the direct comparison to the G70. Not sure on the CT4 dimensions but it's directly compared to being equal in size to the G70 in this article. Power is similar at 320hp and 369 lb-ft.

Modestly powered 2020 Cadillac CT4-V arrives as CT5-V's little brother

jailer

Been here awhile...
The new CT5-V, unlike past Vs, is simply a trim level that matches up to what the G70 Sport is. They decided to dilute the V brand into what was the V-Sport. There will be additional higher performance CT5 models in the future... Who knows what they will be called.

So you can reference the technical data in the first link I shared, where there are weights and measures of the CT5... the CT5-V has minor changes, mostly aesthetic, but a few component changes like brakes, exhaust, intake, etc.

Pricing is also going to be very similar to the G70 Sport, with the CT5-V being estimated somewhere in the $50k range.

I think the CT5-V will be competitive to the G70 sport.
Got it.. Thanks . I see that info now and there is a new article on C&D where they mention they are waiting on the REAL V model. Whoever is in charge of their naming schemes really needs to just go away. I can't believe they allow the confusion to take place. HOWEVER the vehicle engineers do deserve huge accolades.. even this retiring CTS model is still the champ of all larger sedan's with regard to chassis and performance.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^
I like the headlight configuration. Not fond of the back (but like the 4 pipes). Overall though I do not like it as much as the G70--but, I really fell for the G70, so I cannot help myself.

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The CT looks like a beefier Malibu, imo. However I have never liked anything Chevy to begin with.

But then again, there was a time when Hyundai was considered crap...

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The first gen CTS made me pay attention to Cadillac. The ATS was nice and I almost bought one!

jailer

Been here awhile...

Now that I read a little more.. that CT4 is actually UNDER where the ATS was positioned.. so it competes with the entry level cars like Audi A3, BMW 2 series and Mercedes A Class. It's NOT a 3 Series, G70, A4 competitor. It's smaller. Probably why it looks a little awkward. I was thinking that it did'nt even look as good as the ATS did.. and now I know why.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Counterpoint: I think the CT5 is quite fetching. I saw it in the flesh at the NY auto show and was impressed. Caddy's interiors in general were quite nice; soft leather and the interface is much improved over the old all-touchscreen CUE nonsense.