Alternatives to G70?

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Comparison of all of the major G70 competitors (G70 not included):

That C43 AMG sound is leagues above the competition, including the G70. That burble between shifts is amazing.

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Just flipped through all 34 pages in this thread, and I feel like one of those guys in the movies who wake up after hibernation and catch up on 100 years of history in five minutes.

Coming from an ancient G35 6MT that I bought new, I am just starting the shopping process. The G70 drew my eye, partly because of the availability of the manual transmission.

I’m wondering, what do people think are the main alternatives if only considering cars with a manual transmission? So far, I am considering the G70 2.0T Sport, used 340i, ... and that’s about it. I’m not really interested in cars like the Mustang or Corvettes, as I need something with four doors that has some semblance of rear seats.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’m wondering, what do people think are the main alternatives if only considering cars with a manual transmission? So far, I am considering the G70 2.0T Sport, used 340i, ... and that’s about it. I’m not really interested in cars like the Mustang or Corvettes, as I need something with four doors that has some semblance of rear seats.
^ the four doors part is where things get dicey. you can still get plenty of manuals these days. but all of them are either in a different category, not new OR not available anymore (i.e. used), 2 doors, or some other constraint. i searched and the only entry-level luxury sport sedan w/a manual is the G70. period. the new M3 is supposed to keep the manual but that is a totally different class and price range.

the closest i could find to the G70, sort of, was the Accord 2.0T 6MT. so that is another option which may be worth trying out. i did, and i passed. but it is not far off in price (being cheaper), similar power (actually, more), and much larger/roomier than the G70 6MT. it just doesn't feel special or overly sporty or luxurious.

this list must apply to US as well:
Every Car that Still Offers A Manual Transmission in 2019 – WHEELS.ca

like you mentioned, a used 340i or S4 (pre~2017 iirc) may be options if you want to go that way. for new w/4 doors & manual, the Golf R/WRX/STi/Civic Type R are all great little cars, but certainly in a different category. the Golf R would be my pick out of that bunch if i felt like holding on to my youth.

i'd like to hear what the other realistic options are w/a manual.

i tested out an M240i prior to buying the G70, and it was sweet. most auto journalists call it the sweet spot for BMW performance that is usable as a daily driver. but this option is out since you need 4 doors. so did i, for now. but i could see myself in an M240i (or whatever it's called by then) in the future, unless i've finally given up the manual tradition or everyone is being driven around in autonomous vehicles...

Last edited:

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ the four doors part is where things get dicey. you can still get plenty of manuals these days. but all of them are either in a different category, not new OR not available anymore (i.e. used), 2 doors, or some other constraint. i searched and the only entry-level luxury sport sedan w/a manual is the G70. period. the new M3 is supposed to keep the manual but that is a totally different class and price range.

the closest i could find to the G70, sort of, was the Accord 2.0T 6MT. so that is another option which may be worth trying out. i did, and i passed. but it is not far off in price (being cheaper), similar power (actually, more), and much larger/roomier than the G70 6MT. it just doesn't feel special or overly sporty or luxurious.
Thanks, it sounds like you were looking for about the same type of car as I am. I knew about the existence of the Accord 2.0 6MT, but for some reason it hadn't bubbled up in my mind as a candidate. Maybe worth a look. The Golf R popped up in my searches, but I might be a bit too old for a hot hatch.

I suppose that manual A4s and S4s are theoretical possibilities, in that they are reputed to exist. They don't seem to be available around here right now, though. 6MT 340i's, on the other hand, seem to show up with regularity at dealers and in private sales. Not having owned a BMW before, though, I wonder about the maintenance vs. Genesis.

So far, the G70 6MT seems like it has the new entry-level luxury MT sports sedan segment all to itself. If only dealers would actually stock them!

Last edited:

50jae

Registered Member
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks, it sounds like you were looking for about the type of car as I am. I knew about the existence of the Accord 2.0 6MT, but for some reason it hadn't bubbled up in my mind as a candidate. Maybe worth a look. The Golf R popped up in my searches, but I might be a bit too old for a hot hatch.

I suppose that manual A4s and S4s are theoretical possibilities, in that they are reputed to exist. They don't seem to be available around here right now, though. 6MT 340i's, on the other hand, seem to show up with regularity at dealers and in private sales. Not having owned a BMW before, though, I wonder about the maintenance vs. Genesis.

So far, the G70 6MT seems like it has the new entry-level luxury MT sports sedan segment all to itself. If only dealers would actually stock them!
Lots of favorable reviews of the sport 6mt accord. The topher liked it better than the G70 MT. I have a 1.5 CVT accord and they are actually pretty nice, so I can imagine the 2.0T 6MT would be a hoot.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@Leonidas Same here. I had my eye on the M340i but the G70 offers so much for the price point.
I too really wanted an m340i but way, way out of my price range. I was going to have to settle for a 2.0T M sport 330i but I ended up with a G70 3.3T sport for less than the 330i. Bang for the buck!

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Golf R is a rocket!
I was seriously considering the Golf R when I was looking at my G70. It's actually a pretty decent option if you want that rocket, with not too bad interior quality, and great utility with that hatch. I also liked the fact that the majority of people wouldn't know it was anything different from a regular Golf so the "stealth factor" was high. But at the end of the day I figured my hot hatch days were behind me ...

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was seriously considering the Golf R when I was looking at my G70. It's actually a pretty decent option if you want that rocket, with not too bad interior quality, and great utility with that hatch. I also liked the fact that the majority of people wouldn't know it was anything different from a regular Golf so the "stealth factor" was high. But at the end of the day I figured my hot hatch days were behind me ...
I almost got the R but the blank buttons drove me nuts. Also the EU version had a bigger 9+" information which allowed simultaneous navigation on the gauge cluster.
Plus the interest rate was ridiculous even though they threw in everything I wanted and a hefty discount off the MSRP.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yup, that's the rub with the R. if i was in my 20's up to ~late 30's i probably would have gone that route. but i'm just over 40 and keep my cars a long time. the last car i kept 8 years, so i couldn't see myself driving a Golf hot hatch in my late 40's. that's not right, especially with colleagues and clients as occasional passengers.

plus, you're driving a VW Golf which is the 2nd most common car on earth, if not #1 (is the Corolla #1?). but for what it is, the Golf R is great. my buddy has an R with the DSG. that thing hauls and he's done some mild upgrades to make it crazy quick. however it has been in the shop a fair bit for recalls or warranty work.

SleepyElls

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ yup, that's the rub with the R. if i was in my 20's up to ~late 30's i probably would have gone that route. but i'm just over 40 and keep my cars a long time. the last car i kept 8 years, so i couldn't see myself driving a Golf hot hatch in my late 40's. that's not right, especially with colleagues and clients as occasional passengers.
Boomer here, so you’re a young ’un to me. If you’re past the hot hatch days, I definitely am.

I wonder a bit whether I’m too old for a car like the G70. An S60 might be more my style nowadays, if only they came in a manual. (I drove a rental manual S60 in Europe last summer and enjoyed it. Too bad there are none here.)

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My overriding issue is garage size. I cannot fit a G80 in my garage and still have room for my wife to walk around the front or rear to reach the passenger side. I know if she has to struggle and collect grime on her clothes to reach the door I will never hear the end of it. My current vehicle is 180 inches and add 5 more for the G 70. The G80 is 197. Compact, according to manufacturer designations, is my destiny.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My overriding issue is garage size. I cannot fit a G80 in my garage and still have room for my wife to walk around the front or rear to reach the passenger side. I know if she has to struggle and collect grime on her clothes to reach the door I will never hear the end of it. My current vehicle is 180 inches and add 5 more for the G 70. The G80 is 197. Compact, according to manufacturer designations, is my destiny.
When our house was built last year we had the option of making the garage either 2' or 4' longer. Easy choice to make. Nice to be able to walk around the car with plenty of room

Maybe you can add a bump out.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just back the car out for her and then have her get it...or clean your car. No grime, no problem ;)

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The Acura TLX should get a full redesign reveal this year. Rumors say it'll have a twin turbo V6 with maybe ~400 HP for a Type S spec, and a more rear-biased AWD system. The TLX is a mid-sized sedan (191" long, which is the same as the Stinger) with a traverse oriented engine and a 60/40 weight distribution, so dynamically it's not a similar competitor to the G70. However, Acura's SH-AWD system is probably on the same level as Audi's Quattro system, with it being able to send almost if not fully 100% power to different side wheels in corners. So it's like another Audi choice in the price range.

Some screenshots below. The redesign seems to look a ton like the ILX:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-acura-mdx-tlx-leaked-photos/