Confusion About Trim Options - 2.5 vs 3.5

seiyafan

We went to the dealer with the intention of getting in the queue for a 2.5 and wound up buying a Santa Fe Calligraphy. It had everything we wanted and more for $42K.
I am in the same boat as you, did you test drive the GV70? How's the noise and ride compare to Calligraphy?

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
if youre getting the 2.5, you might as well get the sante fe.

if the 2.5 isnt quick enough for you, the gv70 is the way to go.

Its why i passed on the sante fe calligraphy a few months ago. While the 2.5 isnt bad, it was lacking the performance I was wanting.

it seems to be what genesis wants, and is evident with their rollout of the gv70 (much more 3.5s available than 2.5s). They want to sell the 3.5s since that engine is more in line with the german competitors and steals customers from those buyers. a fully loaded 2.5 isnt going to steal many bmw/audi owners.

Billbert

Hasn't posted much yet...
I am in the same boat as you, did you test drive the GV70? How's the noise and ride compare to Calligraphy?
Haven't driven the 2.5L GV70 yet. Local dealer doesn't have one yet. Will definitely do that when one comes in. It would have to be pretty dramatic to get us to not get a car configured the way we want it while writing a check for another $12-$15K.

I'm a patient man.

FLtime

Registered Member
Polk County Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Like @Billbert , I too find myself swinging back to the Santa Fe Calligraphy. It's $15,000 cheaper than the 3.5T Sport Advanced, and I still get more of the things that are important to me. Here's a chart I put together.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 1.46.15 PM.png

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Like @Billbert , I too find myself swinging back to the Santa Fe Calligraphy. It's $15,000 cheaper than the 3.5T Sport Advanced, and I still get more of the things that are important to me. Here's a chart I put together.

View attachment 38085
Good comparison. If you compare a Sonata Limited to the G80 with the 3.5 it is even greater $$$ difference.

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good comparison. If you compare a Sonata Limited to the G80 with the 3.5 it is even greater $$$ difference.
there is a much bigger difference between the sonata and the g80 though. FWD vs RWD/AWD, engines, styling/comfort, etc.

sante fe vs gv70 2.5 is reasonable. Sonata vs g80 3.5 is not.

Billbert

All things said, in my perfect world, it would be a 2.5L Sport Prestige in Cardiff Green w/tan quilted leather. Heated/vented seats w/heated rear seats and steering wheel. It would be a no brainer

The GV70 styling is the big intangible here. The Santa Fe looks like a 2/3 scale Palisade.

Build it and I will come.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Here is Savageese review of the top trim Santa Fe for those interested. Mixed bag but mostly positive. It's a solid contender at that price point. The questions is can you find them and at what price?

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
There are supposedly two Calligraphy's at a dealer here in Phoenix and the window sticker is $44,445 with destination and paint. Probably a mark up as well with the usual dealer extra's so your not getting out of there for under 46 large in this market. I don't know how that compares to any version of the GV70. If I wanted to stay under 50k I would have probably gotten a loaded Mazda CX-9. Yes it doesn't have as much HP and it's going to get updated soon but my ex has a 2018 and that thing is so solid and never has so much as a rattle in almost 4 years and 60k miles. Highly under-rated SUV.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
there is a much bigger difference between the sonata and the g80 though. FWD vs RWD/AWD, engines, styling/comfort, etc.

sante fe vs gv70 2.5 is reasonable. Sonata vs g80 3.5 is not.
Sure, bigger difference but if you want the HUD and surround camera, the difference is about $30,000. I don't drive as much these days. Guess what my 2023 model car will be.

Everyone has a limit and I can't justify the extra 30k for 5000 miles a year.

Etex

Registered Member
Many here (self included) expressed disappointment in the trim options selections (& prices) when they came out, so I fully understand weighing your options. It's just not easy to ignore the styling that caught our eyes in the first place.

Gv70_104(1).jpg  Gv70_105.jpg

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I can't get my head around the front end/headlights on the Santa Fe. I didn't like the older version 2 years ago with the lights down low and apparently no one else did because they changed it so quickly to this which makes even less sense. Other than that I like the shape...

JTEBU15

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
if youre getting the 2.5, you might as well get the sante fe.

if the 2.5 isnt quick enough for you, the gv70 is the way to go.

Its why i passed on the sante fe calligraphy a few months ago. While the 2.5 isnt bad, it was lacking the performance I was wanting.

it seems to be what genesis wants, and is evident with their rollout of the gv70 (much more 3.5s available than 2.5s). They want to sell the 3.5s since that engine is more in line with the german competitors and steals customers from those buyers. a fully loaded 2.5 isnt going to steal many bmw/audi owners.
Keep in mind that all of the Hyudai and Kia vehicles with the 2.5T, are paired to a DCT, where Genesis is using a traditional automatic. To some people, like me, any DCT is a deal breaker.

Billbert

Keep in mind that all of the Hyudai and Kia vehicles with the 2.5T, are paired to a DCT, where Genesis is using a traditional automatic. To some people, like me, any DCT is a deal breaker.
Your post makes me curious. I’ve had several rides with DTC, most recently an Audi RS5 and now the Calligraphy. In the Santa Fe, it’s almost unnoticeable although you can tease it a bit in sport mode. It was a bit harsh in the RS5, I admit.

Have you had bad past experience? Have you tried the Genesis w/that tranny? Would be interested in where your bias comes from.

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dct is less of a deal breaker than fwd vs rwd or 2.5t standard engine vs a higher performance 3.5t engine to me though.

It's like comparing a camry vs a lexus performance sedan. They aren't the same demographic

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sure, bigger difference but if you want the HUD and surround camera, the difference is about $30,000. I don't drive as much these days. Guess what my 2023 model car will be.

Everyone has a limit and I can't justify the extra 30k for 5000 miles a year.
I'm not talking price bigger difference, I'm talking overall car, performance and class difference.

JTEBU15

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Billbert...My first hand bias against DCTs is limited. Test drive of the original Veloster... terrible, slow, jerky all around. Also test drove an Audi A5 2.0T once and did not care for the way it felt. DCT's are slower off the line from a stop compared to traditional automatics (unless using some type of launch mode that will dump the DCT clutch at a higher RPM). The less power a car has, the more this becomes apparent. DCTs tend to have harsher shift characteristics. Then you typically have more frequent fluid change maintanance requirements for a DCT, and I have yet to hear of any DCT that has been super reliable. My perspective on relibility is a little skewed since I am now used to 'Toyota Reliablity'. If you search the current reviews of the Hyundai/Kia 2.5T/DCT you will find some reviews that find it harsh.

Given the choice, I'll take a torque converter automatic over a DCT. I think I read somewhere that Genesis rejected using a DCT because it did not provide the refinement expectations of a luxury vehicle customer.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm not talking price bigger difference, I'm talking overall car, performance and class difference.
Of curse there is performance differences. Either one will get you to the grocery store though, but one cost $30k more. Depends on your needs.

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Of curse there is performance differences. Either one will get you to the grocery store though, but one cost $30k more. Depends on your needs.
i mean... a $500 1980s civic will get you to the grocery store...

the sonata and g80 are not what people typically cross shop. It'd be like cross shopping a g80 and an r8. 2 completely different cars

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners