Confusion About Trim Options - 2.5 vs 3.5

FLtime

Registered Member
Polk County Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
there is a much bigger difference between the sonata and the g80 though. FWD vs RWD/AWD, engines, styling/comfort, etc.

sante fe vs gv70 2.5 is reasonable. Sonata vs g80 3.5 is not.
Agreed that the G80 vs Sonata compare is a bit more of a stretch.

Getting back to the Santa Fe Calligraphy vs. GV70 2.5 Compare - I wonder what Hyundai's thought process is on the GV70 2.5? It seems like a very narrow market and demographic that this particular model would fit. Me for example, if I'm dropping $63,000 on a car, it won't be for a GV70. And what appeals to me about Hyundai and Genesis is VALUE......that I could get features that are otherwise found on much more expensive vehicles. But I'd like to keep the price somewhere around $43K - $50K.

ronsal

Registered Member
Rhode Island
Billbert...My first hand bias against DCTs is limited. Test drive of the original Veloster... terrible, slow, jerky all around. Also test drove an Audi A5 2.0T once and did not care for the way it felt. DCT's are slower off the line from a stop compared to traditional automatics (unless using some type of launch mode that will dump the DCT clutch at a higher RPM). The less power a car has, the more this becomes apparent. DCTs tend to have harsher shift characteristics. Then you typically have more frequent fluid change maintanance requirements for a DCT, and I have yet to hear of any DCT that has been super reliable. My perspective on relibility is a little skewed since I am now used to 'Toyota Reliablity'. If you search the current reviews of the Hyundai/Kia 2.5T/DCT you will find some reviews that find it harsh.

Given the choice, I'll take a torque converter automatic over a DCT. I think I read somewhere that Genesis rejected using a DCT because it did not provide the refinement expectations of a luxury vehicle customer.
All Porsche Macan models use PDK (their acronym for dual clutch tranny). Audi models with the 2 liter engine use the dual clutch tranny. Yes they do have to have the fluid changed at 40k miles. And yes it does take a little getting used to with the down shift into first gear and then to a stop - feels kinda jerky and sometimes rough. But it is lightning fast once it starts to go through the gears ( I had an '18 q5). The best explanation for what it feels like is the equivalent of down shifting a standard and not getting the clutch synchro just right - jerking to a stop.
In the 4 years that i've been on the Audi q/sq5 mk ll site haven't seen a single incident of a transmission problem.
The above said, I currently have sq5 w/ ZF - a torque converter. I think I like the zf better because it seems to be smoother, but it's really hard to tell.

Quad

Registered Member
Agreed that the G80 vs Sonata compare is a bit more of a stretch.

Getting back to the Santa Fe Calligraphy vs. GV70 2.5 Compare - I wonder what Hyundai's thought process is on the GV70 2.5? It seems like a very narrow market and demographic that this particular model would fit. Me for example, if I'm dropping $63,000 on a car, it won't be for a GV70. And what appeals to me about Hyundai and Genesis is VALUE......that I could get features that are otherwise found on much more expensive vehicles. But I'd like to keep the price somewhere around $43K - $50K.

Exactly my sentiments not being heard in the 2.5 Availability thread.

I'm not spending $65K on a first year model of a GV70 yet I do not want the base model either ...I would love a HUD and Nappa etc but the Select or Advanced trim GV70 price is my sweet spot around $50K and they have neither. The HUD must really be awesome to have people considering a Sante Fe over a GV70.

Wouldn't care what tech or trim that a Sante Fe has, I would never drive one. If it's not a GV70 then I wouldn't even go near a Hyundai dealership as there just too many performance mini SUVs to pick from. I would even settle for a 2018 or 2019 SQ5 or GLC43 before dropping $45k on the highest trim Sante Fe.

FLtime

Registered Member
Polk County Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Exactly my sentiments not being heard in the 2.5 Availability thread.

I'm not spending $65K on a first year model of a GV70 yet I do not want the base model either ...I would love a HUD and Nappa etc but the Select or Advanced trim GV70 price is my sweet spot around $50K and they have neither. The HUD must really be awesome to have people considering a Sante Fe over a GV70.

Wouldn't care what tech or trim that a Sante Fe has, I would never drive one. If it's not a GV70 then I wouldn't even go near a Hyundai dealership as there just too many performance mini SUVs to pick from. I would even settle for a 2018 or 2019 SQ5 or GLC43 before dropping $45k on the highest trim Sante Fe.
So it begs the question - what small tomedium sized, performance, luxury SUVs around $48K are out there that have the features and tech of the top end $63K Genesis GV70?

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I bet when the dust settles on the GV70 the take rate for the bigger motor and higher trim levels will be much higher than the lower trims and engine. This has happened with other Genesis and KIA models. The KIA Stinger is a great example. They thought more people would take the cheaper 2.0 engine and that just was not the case. If gas was $2.50 like it was a year ago it would be even more pronounced. Again... this GV70 is being compared to the BMW X3, the Audi and the GLC in every trim and those vehicles loaded up are all in the mid- 50's to high 60's and even 70k.

I just don't think people are cross shopping this rig with the Mazda CX-5 or a Santa Fe. Both great vehicles but that's not what Genesis was shooting for.

Quad

Registered Member
So it begs the question - what small tomedium sized, performance, luxury SUVs around $48K are out there that have the features and tech of the top end $63K Genesis GV70?

Probably none but the look of the GV70 inside and out has me hooked so I won't be swayed by features. I'm sticking with a GV70 just not the top trim.

Quad

Registered Member
I bet when the dust settles on the GV70 the take rate for the bigger motor and higher trim levels will be much higher than the lower trims and engine. This has happened with other Genesis and KIA models. The KIA Stinger is a great example. They thought more people would take the cheaper 2.0 engine and that just was not the case. If gas was $2.50 like it was a year ago it would be even more pronounced. Again... this GV70 is being compared to the BMW X3, the Audi and the GLC in every trim and those vehicles loaded up are all in the mid- 50's to high 60's and even 70k.

I just don't think people are cross shopping this rig with the Mazda CX-5 or a Santa Fe. Both great vehicles but that's not what Genesis was shooting for.

People are definitely cross shopping this rig and a Sante Fe ...which not even close especially the interior.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
People are definitely cross shopping this rig and a Sante Fe ...which not even close especially the interior.
So do you think people are cross-shopping the BMW X3 or the Benz GLC with the Santa Fe and Sorento? If not then Genesis has totally missed the mark.

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So do you think people are cross-shopping the BMW X3 or the Benz GLC with the Santa Fe and Sorento? If not then Genesis has totally missed the mark.
Base models of the bmw or merc to the top trim santa fe, sure. Only people who wouldn't would be brand fan bois or anti hyundai. The only people that consider a base x3 as a luxury performance suv, are the people that bought them. They are nice suvs with brand recognition where the santa fe is a nice suv without the brand name

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
i mean... a $500 1980s civic will get you to the grocery store...

the sonata and g80 are not what people typically cross shop. It'd be like cross shopping a g80 and an r8. 2 completely different cars
I'm not a typical person and yes, I will look at both. in my case I drive much less that i used to. Now only about three 2400 miles trips a year, everything else is 20 miles or less. Under the circumstances it will take quite an effort to part with the extra $30k for those few long trips.

The Sonata gives me the HUD, surround camera, most every bit of Tech as the G80.

One more question. Does that $500 Civic have AC? If so, I may consider it, the supermarket is 1 mile from me.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

ronsal

Registered Member
Rhode Island

IF Genesis is going after the European market, then those #'s would be about 4 of the q5's or x3's sold to 1 of the sq5's or x3m40i's. Don't know how the Mercedes #'s break out. That means the high 40's/low 50's as opposed to the high 50's/mid 60's.
Again, this is IF they are going for that market. However, if Genesis is trying to carve out a different niche, then your analysis would be a little better.
My guess is that when the dust settles and the pipeline again flows normally, there will be many more of the 2.5's sold than 3.5's.

Deputy Dawg

Registered Member
It would’ve easier to convince a Genesis shopper to compare it to a BMW than the other way around.

tdinps

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Let's talk about sex. The Santa Fe is very practical, and nicely done and well equipped—but not al all sexy. I have a 2021 Sorento X-Line Prestige, it's sorta sexy but in a butch way. The Audi Q5, the BWM X5, a bit sexy in some trims. The GV70--way sexy even at the lowest price point. If that matters to you, you're gonna want it. When you get in the driver's seat and feel like you're king of the road, no amount of practical comparison charts will make a difference. Life is short.

Quad

Registered Member
Im currently eyeing a 2.5 Sports Prestige and 3.5 standard.

I got cross eyes checking that chart on page 1 for the differences.

Etex

Registered Member
Im currently eyeing a 2.5 Sports Prestige and 3.5 standard.

I got cross eyes checking that chart on page 1 for the differences.
If you focus on what line items are omiited from the 3.5t Standard trim level (about 10-11 items, including Lexicon Premium Audio) in exchange for gaining 3.5t V6, Mono Bloc Brakes & Electronic controlled suspension maybe it will be clearer.

Last edited:

Quad

Registered Member
If you focus on what line items are omiited from the 3.5t Standard trim level (about 10 items, including Lexicon Premium Audio) in exchange for gaining 3.5t V6, Mono Bloc Brakes & Electronic controlled suspension maybe it will be clearer.

Thanks for pointing that out...the Lexicon is must.

TBickell

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
I'm still confused as to why so many think that 65k is so over-priced for the top spec GV70. I just spec'd out a 2022 Cadillac XT5 with their "sport " package, the N/A 6 cylinder ( which is a dog compared to the GV70 3.5 TT) added some 20" wheels and the leather package and was over
$71,000.00 !! For what in my opinion is a far inferior vehicle. A guy I know has the 2021 XT5 that I have driven and there is simply no comparison. The new Lincoln Nautilus " black label" top spec is also at 65k. Even a now boring Lexus RX350 F sport can tap 62k loaded up.

What am I missing here. Yes Genesis is a fairly new brand but it's leaving some of the old school rides way behind in my opinion.

Djasinsk

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Nappa grade leather is tanned to net a softer, smoother finish and is full grain. Mesh inserts comes with regular leather. DA II has listed indivdual items (see chart).

Check out the following chart / attachments View attachment 38032

All trims share the Standard base except as noted.

View attachment 38033
This charts items shared between 2.5t vs 3.5t.
Highlighted items are unique to that trim level.

View attachment 38034
Probably most help post in this forum to date

Rick5086

Registered Member
Not sure if worth it but if that was stretching the budget I'd be looking at a Palisade with some of those features for $45k.
I just traded a 2020 Palisade limited for a 2.5T sport prestige.
the Palisade in Limited trim listed for $48750 and had content that the GV70 doesn’t have. Heads up display, heated and cooled seats front and rear, full digital dash, etc. However the Palisade doesn’t have the cache of the GV70. It is a family mover. Happy to give up the few features for the feel and performance of the GV70.

FLtime

Registered Member
Polk County Florida
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm still confused as to why so many think that 65k is so over-priced for the top spec GV70. I just spec'd out a 2022 Cadillac XT5 with their "sport " package, the N/A 6 cylinder ( which is a dog compared to the GV70 3.5 TT) added some 20" wheels and the leather package and was over
$71,000.00 !! For what in my opinion is a far inferior vehicle. A guy I know has the 2021 XT5 that I have driven and there is simply no comparison. The new Lincoln Nautilus " black label" top spec is also at 65k. Even a now boring Lexus RX350 F sport can tap 62k loaded up.

What am I missing here. Yes Genesis is a fairly new brand but it's leaving some of the old school rides way behind in my opinion.
I think it's more about the other GV70 trims that aren't the top trim. They're missing key things like HUD, Nappa leather, certain colors, etc - that should otherwise be there at those price points. Especially when comparing to some Calligraphy trim Hyundai models.

Plus, if you start looking at the Porsche Macan, BMW, and Mercedes options - those are all in the same pricing ballpark. I like what Genesis has to offer, but if I'm within $5K of a new Macan - I'm going Macan. 😁

Last edited:
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners