Engine Misfires - 2015 V8

mdsbuc

Registered Member
That is a long time, check your state lemon laws. I know in CA you would qualify for a buy back, over 30 days out of service within 18 months is enough.

Does not sound right to me, a new engine due to misfire?? Misfire is almost always fuel or ignition related.
+1.

I'd be checking out the lemon laws as well. I really can't believe that they haven't given you a loaner in a case like this. Shame on them.

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
Field Service Engineer came out to inspect the car, and determined that it needs a new long block.
I am having a _very_ hard time believing this.

On these engines the spark is not controlled mechanically like it was in the old days with distributors and shafts hanging off the cam or crank. Today all spark is electronically controlled and fired, and timing is governed by input to the ECU's by sensors all over the engine.

Your long block will be metals only (block, pistons, rods, cams, bearings, crank & chains - probably missing all top & side pans & covers, as well as valve covers - all of which will need to be transferred) and the majority of your sensors and ignition electronics will be transferred over from your existing engine - along with your electronic ignition system problem/gremlin.

I really hope I am proven wrong and your issue gets fixed with that..... but I'm not betting a paycheck that direction and I am quite shocked that this was a senior engineer's answer. It just doesn't compute.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I believe it. I've seen at least one other case with a 2015 where a person got a new long block after incurable misfire issues. Enjoy your brand-spanking new engine!

Dimitry

Registered Member
Update:

Fuel lines are on backorder, no ETA. Guess I get to wait even longer.

No loaner, regional doesn't want to do anything or talk for that matter until the car is finished.

Probably going to be 2 months out of service total if not longer - all in a bit over a year of ownership.

scooterb

Registered Member
Sorry to hear that. Disgraceful on Hyundai's part.

IMO - I would share this experience with Hyundai's social media depts. (Twitter/Facebook).
In this day and age - many companies pay attention to what's being said in those channels than anything a call to a customer service center, or Regional Mgr for that matter, can accomplish.
I would pen something very short/to the point but professional, but making it impactful (i.e. Hyundai- help me understand why I just paid 50K for a Genesis that hasn't been driveable for x weeks and you can't help me with a loaner ?)

Dimitry

Registered Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. Hyundai has certainly a ways to go to embrace the luxury experience. Truly day and night experiences compared to some other brands.

I certainly will have words to exchange with corporate/regional when I get my car back.

I'm not exactly sure what the root problem was, but I'll do my best to find out and give you guys an update.

The fuel line is still on backorder and there is no ETA. Brand new long block is just sitting there next to the car.

Hyundai did not want them to use the old fuel line.

Dimitry

Registered Member
Update:

New engine is in, still misfiring.

Root cause of the misfiring was cylinder 8 piston ring was out of position.

They want to put a new intake on there to see if that alleviates the misfiring. If that doesn't work, they will be putting a new PCM wiring harness in it.

No loaner still. Going 6 weeks soon...

balfor

Registered Member
CA
what they are telling you makes no sense, if the cause was the #8 piston ring and they in fact put in a new engine, that should fix it. If it is now the intake, sounds like they did not seal or install it correctly when putting in the new long block.

In any case, I hear you on the frustration. My car is now on day 11 in the shop and is less than 3 months old....

Monolith2001

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
I feel for you and hope they figure it out sooner rather than later but there is no way I'd be chill about it. I'd already be in the lemon law process on my way to another vehicle but if I did not have a lemon law to lean on, I'd absolutely torture the dealer and Hyundai for a loaner.

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
Root cause of the misfiring was cylinder 8 piston ring was out of position.
That is flat-out hooey. Unless they have pulled the piston from the block they couldn't see that. Unless it was completely drowning in oil it wouldn't miss like that and you would be blowing blue smoke out the pipes for days.

New engine is in, still misfiring.
As I suspected & mentioned before:

srobak said:
...the majority of your sensors and ignition electronics will be transferred over from your existing engine - along with your electronic ignition system problem/gremlin.
Tell them to replace the ignition electronics and to stop blowing smoke up your ass with crap like piston rings out of position. What malarky.

DFWGenny

Registered Member
TX
You are at the point that you need to pursue legal relief. They have opted for an aggressive fix for the problem but it sounds like they do not have a clue.

Are you buying the car or leasing? If you are buying, they may have damaged the resale value by replacing major engine components.

If there are other dealer options in your area, if it were me, I would consider having the car towed to another dealership.

The piston ring story says:
  • They don't know what they are doing, or
  • They don't respect you, or
  • Both

I'm afraid at this point, you need to look for a good lawyer.

Edit: I reread and saw that they had a Field Engineer from Hyundai so I guess I could cut the dealer some slack, but still, two months out of service with no loaner? At this point you need to familiarize yourself with your state's "Lemon Law".

Last edited:

Huddleston

Registered Member
Fayetteville, AR
You are at the point that you need to pursue legal relief. They have opted for an aggressive fix for the problem but it sounds like they do not have a clue.

Are you buying the car or leasing? If you are buying, they may have damaged the resale value by replacing major engine components.

If there are other dealer options in your area, if it were me, I would consider having the car towed to another dealership.

The piston ring story says:
  • They don't know what they are doing, or
  • They don't respect you, or
  • Both

I'm afraid at this point, you need to look for a good lawyer.

Edit: I reread and saw that they had a Field Engineer from Hyundai so I guess I could cut the dealer some slack, but still, two months out of service with no loaner? At this point you need to familiarize yourself with your state's "Lemon Law".
this. its sad and I am sure you don't want to deal with it but at this point your options are running out. you deserve a car you have 100% confidence in.

Dimitry

Registered Member
So, they've replaced pretty much everything related to the engine - it's still misfiring.
They've got no idea what to do, and are getting the field engineer out there on Monday to check it out again. SM said it's the first car in 9 years he's been there they've been unable to fix.

It will be two months out of service without a loaner in under a week since the first misfiring occurred. With other issues I've had, it will be nearly three months total out of service in 16 months of ownership -- nearly a 20% downtime on the total ownership of the vehicle.

I appreciate the support from everyone here. At the end of the day, I just want a car that works and as you would all agree, have complete confidence in.

Dimitry

Registered Member
So today marks 8 weeks since the cars been in the shop originally for the issue, it's still misfiring - they had some field engineers take a look at that car and they said they sent the data somewhere, and they determined that they need to replace the crankshaft sensor and the flywheel, which don't come with the new engine that came in.

So, they're going to have to take the transmission and engine out to install that. Those parts are now on order, and it's probably going to be early next week before any updates.

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
They already gave him a long block... I have heard from back in my Azera days that Hyundai doesn't do what we would typically call a crate engine - including electronics, sensors, etc. All these components would need to be transferred - as I indicated in my first post calling "foul" on that solution - the electronic gremlins would transfer right along with it.... and they did.

I sure hope that despite the prolonged wait - this sensor (and they ought to throw more new electronics at it as well) fixes the problem.

Keep us posted.