Engine Misfires - 2015 V8

Dimitry

Registered Member
New flywheel and crank sensor in.

STILL misfiring. Dealership is definitely frustrated they can't fix the car, and Hyundai obviously has the fix wrong.

I will absolutely be pursuing my options, I do want to see what Hyundai is going to do in this scenario. This certainly doesn't bode well for a luxury experience.

They've literally replaced everything possible related to the engine from my understanding. I'd say it's a good chance as some of you mentioned those gremlins persisted over and maybe even damaged the new parts they put in.

To echo the facepalm earlier..

DFWGenny

Registered Member
TX
They already gave him a long block... I have heard from back in my Azera days that Hyundai doesn't do what we would typically call a crate engine - including electronics, sensors, etc. All these components would need to be transferred - as I indicated in my first post calling "foul" on that solution - the electronic gremlins would transfer right along with it.... and they did.

I sure hope that despite the prolonged wait - this sensor (and they ought to throw more new electronics at it as well) fixes the problem.

Keep us posted.
My mistake, my quick read I was thinking short block. Thanks for the information on not being able to get a drop in engine option.

DFWGenny

Registered Member
TX
New flywheel and crank sensor in.

STILL misfiring. Dealership is definitely frustrated they can't fix the car, and Hyundai obviously has the fix wrong.

They've literally replaced everything possible related to the engine from my understanding. I'd say it's a good chance as some of you mentioned those gremlins persisted over and maybe even damaged the new parts they put in.
You have the most difficult problem to diagnose. It could be a sensor it could be the wiring harness or connector. Added the fact that this is a new drive train, so you are probably "patient zero".

That still doesn't explain why they are not doing right by you with a loaner. If this is a lease or you have a loan on purchase, you are paying for a car you cannot use. If you purchased it outright, you could argue the amortized depreciation based on the age of the car as damages. Depreciation on the first year of a new car is huge. One week for warranty repair is reasonable, eight weeks is not. JMNSHO

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
At this point they need to hand you the keys to a new car. Seriously. Get your attorney on the phone.

Dimitry

Registered Member
Some positive news -

The exhaust manifold was the issue with the ongoing misfires. That was resolved, and it appears to be running just fine now. They're keeping it a few days to run further testing and perform some further warranty work and it should be ready on Friday.

In regards to further pursuit after all the issues I've had, I expect Hyundai to make it right, as it's been out of service for nearly 3 months total with all the warranty work that's been done on it, that's nearly a 20% downtime on the total ownership experience I've had. I'll keep you guys updated on that front.

Fingers crossed...

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
Care to elaborate with details on the exhaust? Even if the suspect cylinder was "pinched" on the manifold - it should have resulted in backfires - not misfires. I'd ask to see it if I were you.

I am still banking on electronics.

Dimitry

Registered Member
Finally picked up the car today! Have 3 low tire pressure monitors going off (3 tires around 25 PSI versus another one at 33), but the engine runs silky smooth.

Total repair cost: Around $30k
Total days out of service for the repair: 64

In regards to the exhaust manifold, they didn't clarify as to why exactly it was causing a misfire.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Finally picked up the car today! Have 3 low tire pressure monitors going off (3 tires around 25 PSI versus another one at 33), but the engine runs silky smooth.

In regards to the exhaust manifold, they didn't clarify as to why exactly it was causing a misfire.
At that cost, they should have just replaced the car!

I think you are too accommodating of Hyundai on this issue - there is no way I'd accept the car back without an EXACT root cause being identified and documented. Good luck with it and I hope it's fixed for good!

srobak

Supporting Member
Chicagoland
At that cost, they should have just replaced the car!

I think you are too accommodating of Hyundai on this issue - there is no way I'd accept the car back without an EXACT root cause being identified and documented. Good luck with it and I hope it's fixed for good!
Agreed on both points. Smoothly running car or not - I'd be raising Kane if I were you until I got a very detailed explanation.

Genesis5.0

Registered Member
Other week I had the car start shaking fairly badly on a stop light, along with flashing check engine light. Car ended up stalling, although I was able to restart it, without the check engine light but still a rough idle.

Car was smoother but throttled at higher RPMs, however every time it was idle it'd shake fairly badly as a result of the misfire. Wasn't able to actually start it once until I gave slightly depressed the gas when it was starting up. I actually had a headache on the way home, and when I got out of the car, there was an overwhelming gas odor as if I was right next to a puddle of gas.

I've got a scanner tool, and it came up with misfires on cylinders 8 and 4. Had it towed to a local dealer, they determined it was cylinder 8's fuel injector that needed a replacement.

It was replaced with minimal downtime, and the car was good for a few days.

A few days later, same symptoms reoccurred. Scanner tool revealed more misfires (2, 4, 6, 8). It's been in the shop for about a week now, they've replaced another fuel injector and it's still misfiring. They're going to try replacing the drive control module, as they suspect it's gone bad. They're going to need to order it and burn the VIN onto it, and it'll probably take a while.

Any of you have a similar issue on the Tau?

http://i.imgur.com/W7RAbbx.png

I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.
Mine started doing the exact same thing. :eek: anybody got any ideas on what is causing this? :confused: help!!!

Smobien

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

So... My car has this exact issue. In now for it's third trip. Trip one was just a computer reset. 2 time around they replaced all 8 injectors and a harness. I'm getting terrified after reading your headache.

Have you had any problems since?

CadiChaser

Hasn't posted much yet...
Same issue for me. 2015 5.0

Its been in the shop for over 3 weeks. They just now ordered 4 new injectors for it. Doesn't sound promising after all of this!

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Same issue for me. 2015 5.0

Its been in the shop for over 3 weeks. They just now ordered 4 new injectors for it. Doesn't sound promising after all of this!
Yeah sounds familiar! Mine was in the shop for a couple months! Im back to driving mine while my mechanic does more research. Let me know if that fixes it!