Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

ninjastar687

Registered Member
New Jersey, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Absolutely agree here. That is someone I do not want to do business with.
I totally agree with just walking away from any markups... When I first started to talk to my salesman he mentioned that most dealers are marking up the G70s because inventory is low. I instantly replied, "well I am not paying any markup". Instead I got $2,000 off MSRP. Tried to get more but they would not budge... :thumbdown:

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm curious about what we can expect in regards to price negotiations in California. I know the car is much more new for our market, but it has been out for a little bit nationally.

Another question is about the wheels. What're the odds they will swap the Sport Wheels for the 10-spoke ones?

Natas

Registered Member
Brunswick now has some 2019 inventory listed on their site.

GENESIS OF BRUNSWICK | Vehicles for sale in Brunswick, OH 44212
Genesis of Brunswick (Crestmont Hyundai) sucks..
After waiting an eternity and discussing my enthusiasm for arrival of the G70 with many sales personnel for months...crickets..
I entered my info upon their website for contact...nothing..
I spoke to multiple salesmen who assured me that I would be called immediately once they knew of delivery...nothing..
I call again today...a young cocky guy answers the phone...tells me he’s had cars all week... I express my disappointment that I have received no notifications from anyone...he doesn’t care/wasn’t his problem/what do I want..
I hang up..
Upon further review...dealerrater.com shits all over this place...only padded by the 5 star ratings of the dealer’s own employees (yeah...I caught that Crestmont...nice try)..

Anyway...is this the “Genesis Experience”??
What I’m getting is negligence and apathy from a Hyundai dealer..

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
After waiting an eternity and discussing my enthusiasm for arrival of the G70 with many sales personnel for months...crickets..
I spoke to multiple salesmen who assured me that I would be called immediately once they knew of delivery...nothing..
I call again today...a young cocky guy answers the phone...tells me he’s had cars all week... I express my disappointment that I have received no notifications from anyone...he doesn’t care/wasn’t his problem/what do I want..
I hang up..
Upon further review...dealerrater.com shits all over this place...only padded by the 5 star ratings of the dealer’s own employees (yeah...I caught that Crestmont...nice try)..

That does seem pretty awful. My local people have been terrific--received calls the day the car arrived from one of them and a call when the cars were being unloaded.
That is unfortunate--and sadly the person you spoke to could have handled it much better by simply being apologetic and asking when you would like to come in--that the cars are well worth seeing. :(

Natas

Registered Member
That does seem pretty awful. My local people have been terrific--received calls the day the car arrived from one of them and a call when the cars were being unloaded.
That is unfortunate--and sadly the person you spoke to could have handled it much better by simply being apologetic and asking when you would like to come in--that the cars are well worth seeing. :(
I concur..
Guess I’ll try another dealer...this one is just a few miles down the road though..

It baffles me that Genesis has made it so difficult for me to buy one of their products..

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I concur..
Guess I’ll try another dealer...this one is just a few miles down the road though..

It baffles me that Genesis has made it so difficult for me to buy one of their products..
That really is unfortunate. I hope they get the dealer issues worked out. Some service departments are completely different from the sales departments, so perhaps their service groups would be better.

One possibility--because they are close and have cars. Stop by and test drive. That will allow you to make decisions on which trim level, RWD or AWD,and 2.0 or 3.3. Then use that information to locate the car you like someplace else and purchase there. Some have purchased cars located 100s of miles away--but it sure helps to first have driven and confirmed what you want.

It might also be worth talking to the local GM--without decent customer service they will have issues. (Though it may be they are accustomed to such issues.)

Last edited:

Pepper

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I really is unfortunate. I hope they get the dealer issues worked out. Some service departments are completely different from the sales departments, so perhaps their service groups would be better.

One possibility--because they are close and have cars. Stop by and test drive. That will allow you to make decisions on which trim level, RWD or AWD,and 2.0 or 3.3. Then use that information to locate the car you like someplace else and purchase there. Some have purchased cars located 100s of miles away--but it sure helps to first have driven and confirmed what you want.

It might also be worth talking to the local GM--without decent customer service they will have issues. (Though it may be they are accustomed to such issues.)
Does anyone know why some Genesis dealers webpages don't show the window sticker?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

No, it is one of the many crappy dealers in the auto business. They may happen to sell Hyundai/Genesis, but they exist in every brand. I hope Genesis is able to weed out some of these guys.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I hang up..

My experience over the past couple of months getting interested in the G70 in November/December of last year... switching to researching/shopping for an Audi A4 when it seemed the G70 wouldn't be available for months... then re-focusing on the G70 about a month ago after it started to appear in nearby areas (and after the A4 turned out to be pretty difficult to find in the trim I wanted)... has taught me that dealers are only really interested in the buyer ready to buy a car that day, or within a few days. Like many in here, I thought my knowledge and enthusiasm about a particular car (plus my willingness to make a firm offer, in the case of one A4!) would mark me as someone the dealership should stay in touch with. Turns out not so! I suspect economics is at work. Given what salespeople are paid, their time is best used, I'm guessing, hounding that person whose lease is up this week, or who just wants to buy a car today and be done with it. With that kind of person, the salesperson spends perhaps an hour or so, maybe less, and makes a sale. The person -- like many if not most in this forum -- who reads up on cars, follows reviews in Consumer Reports or on Youtube... that person is likely to be someone who is going to take a lot of time to buy a car, and probably is likely to be a tougher bargainer as well. Just a guess given what I've observed. Welcome to capitalism in 2019. It's all about efficiency. Love of cars is inefficient from the salesperson's perspective.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^
Maybe--although I left my contact information with three different "soon-to-be" Genesis dealers and each of the dealers stayed in contact with me and notified me when they had cars on-site.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My experience over the past couple of months getting interested in the G70 in November/December of last year... switching to researching/shopping for an Audi A4 when it seemed the G70 wouldn't be available for months... then re-focusing on the G70 about a month ago after it started to appear in nearby areas (and after the A4 turned out to be pretty difficult to find in the trim I wanted)... has taught me that dealers are only really interested in the buyer ready to buy a car that day, or within a few days. Like many in here, I thought my knowledge and enthusiasm about a particular car (plus my willingness to make a firm offer, in the case of one A4!) would mark me as someone the dealership should stay in touch with. Turns out not so! I suspect economics is at work. Given what salespeople are paid, their time is best used, I'm guessing, hounding that person whose lease is up this week, or who just wants to buy a car today and be done with it. With that kind of person, the salesperson spends perhaps an hour or so, maybe less, and makes a sale. The person -- like many if not most in this forum -- who reads up on cars, follows reviews in Consumer Reports or on Youtube... that person is likely to be someone who is going to take a lot of time to buy a car, and probably is likely to be a tougher bargainer as well. Just a guess given what I've observed. Welcome to capitalism in 2019. It's all about efficiency. Love of cars is inefficient from the salesperson's perspective.
+1
Over the last few months, my experience talking with various dealerships, where they knew I was a serious buyer at the right price, were night and day difference from how Genesis treated me once I told them I'm ready to buy today (aka when the car with my spec is delivered)

That said, Audi did keep in touch pretty well

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^
Maybe--although I left my contact information with three different "soon-to-be" Genesis dealers and each of the dealers stayed in contact with me and notified me when they had cars on-site.
My experience here in LA was different.

I contacted 4 dealers in my area and I got immediate responses asking me if I wanted to buy the car they had on their lot. When I said no, it appears I slipped on to some email list which I suspect gets used by various salespeople when they have time to kill. I say that because over the weeks I got emails from several different salespeople at each dealership. Each email indicated the salesperson had not seen any of my emails describing exactly the model I wanted. "Are you ready to buy a G70 this week from our lot?" pretty much captures the emails I got every couple of days.

I will say that of those 4 dealers, one dealer had a salesperson who seemed to take note of my particular interest and sent me several emails telling me when they would have G70s in stock. However, in that case I got a bunch of emails telling me yesterday, April 3, was the day they would have G70s to show. But I got no message yesterday or today.

No big deal. I expect this given how our economy works. I don't mind taking the initiative myself to contact the dealers and find out what's going on.

Last edited:

md1801

Registered Member
St. Louis, MO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm amazed at how inefficient the process can be overall. Dealers have fancy websites that seem to be useful for nothing except data mining customers. The only price requests are nothing more than an entry point into the dealer's CRM system where they'll pretend (or maybe not?) that they never got your request and to try to entice you to visit the dealership in person. E-mail has been highly ineffective---seems like going back in time to using the phone is the only way to get anywhere. Car dealers, like any other business, have a mix of good and bad employees---hopefully Genesis will be working to hold their dealer network to higher standards.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My experience here in LA was different.

I contacted 4 dealers in my area and I got immediate responses asking me if I wanted to buy the car they had on their lot. When I said no, it appears I slipped on to some email list which I suspect gets used by various salespeople when they have time to kill. I say that because over the weeks I got emails from several different salespeople at each dealership. Each email indicated the salesperson had not seen any of my emails describing exactly the model I wanted. "Are you ready to buy a G70 this week from our lot?" pretty much captures the emails I got every couple of days.

No big deal. I expect this given how our economy works. I don't mind taking the initiative myself to contact the dealers and find out what's going on.
Emails are usually not a big deal. I got one from a dealer I bought four cars from. I replied giving exactly what I wanted and a price offer. Never heard back. That dealer was 20 miles north of me. A dealer 45 miles south of me had the car I wanted. Drove in about 1 PM and drove out at 3 PM with my new car. Could have been an easy sale.