G70 US Availability?

md1801

Registered Member
St. Louis, MO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Emails are usually not a big deal. I got one from a dealer I bought four cars from. I replied giving exactly what I wanted and a price offer. Never heard back. That dealer was 20 miles north of me. A dealer 45 miles south of me had the car I wanted. Drove in about 1 PM and drove out at 3 PM with my new car. Could have been an easy sale.
It amazes me how often I see or hear about situations like this. I think that some people just don't want to work for a sale. I wonder if they have trouble with distinguishing who is serious and who isn't from e-mail. From the end of the consumer, I interpret it as a negative reaction to the move toward more balanced availability of information. I've found that dealers (across brands) are increasingly reluctant to provide pricing information via e-mail, and are wary of what they reply with being shopped. I understand their point of view to a certain extent, but if the job is to sell units, they should be embracing what could be a treasure-trove of quick sales if they just provide transparent pricing quickly and efficiently when asked.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Soma

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It amazes me how often I see or hear about situations like this. I think that some people just don't want to work for a sale. I wonder if they have trouble with distinguishing who is serious and who isn't from e-mail. From the end of the consumer, I interpret it as a negative reaction to the move toward more balanced availability of information. I've found that dealers (across brands) are increasingly reluctant to provide pricing information via e-mail, and are wary of what they reply with being shopped. I understand their point of view to a certain extent, but if the job is to sell units, they should be embracing what could be a treasure-trove of quick sales if they just provide transparent pricing quickly and efficiently when asked.
From a sales perspective (I was a financial advisor once upon a time), email doesn't really pan out in a lot of cases. Largely because of poor rates of reception/response from prospective clients, but also because it is really hard to judge how likely someone is to pull the trigger on the sale. Phone is usually the go-to if you can't get an in-person meeting. Most of the low hanging fruit usually will show up or call in rather than get put on a wait list or email back and forth as many of these clients are impatient, uninformed, or generally indifferent (to price/product). While selling units is important, I'd assume they need to put up a front of indifference to the sale as they're trying to build brand value and show that they believe the products they have are worth the money they're asking. As far as pricing goes, the lack of full transparency generally means that they have some sort of advantage in negotiations so I understand why they'd be reluctant to give it up. Especially when the smart buyer will definitely shop the price around other dealers. It's not like they can really differentiate their product to add value, right? Service on the tail end can make up the difference, but the client would have to pull the trigger and hope that turns out well to find out.

I'm not sure if everyone here is providing an email address AND phone number or just an email address, but that could be the reason for the subpar communication. Like I said above, the more serious clients will be willing to spend a little time on the phone or in-person to get the ball rolling in most sales situations.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
From a sales perspective (I was a financial advisor once upon a time), email doesn't really pan out in a lot of cases. Largely because of poor rates of reception/response from prospective clients, but also because it is really hard to judge how likely someone is to pull the trigger on the sale. Phone is usually the go-to if you can't get an in-person meeting. Most of the low hanging fruit usually will show up or call in rather than get put on a wait list or email back and forth as many of these clients are impatient, uninformed, or generally indifferent (to price/product). While selling units is important, I'd assume they need to put up a front of indifference to the sale as they're trying to build brand value and show that they believe the products they have are worth the money they're asking. As far as pricing goes, the lack of full transparency generally means that they have some sort of advantage in negotiations so I understand why they'd be reluctant to give it up. Especially when the smart buyer will definitely shop the price around other dealers. It's not like they can really differentiate their product to add value, right? Service on the tail end can make up the difference, but the client would have to pull the trigger and hope that turns out well to find out.

I'm not sure if everyone here is providing an email address AND phone number or just an email address, but that could be the reason for the subpar communication. Like I said above, the more serious clients will be willing to spend a little time on the phone or in-person to get the ball rolling in most sales situations.
I generally provide email, cell, and direct line at office.
An additional possible issue with email is that it can go into junk mail folders, disappear, and never be seen again. That said, I have purchased cars solely thru email--without ever having spoken to a person on the phone. :)

md1801

Registered Member
St. Louis, MO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's not like they can really differentiate their product to add value, right? Service on the tail end can make up the difference, but the client would have to pull the trigger and hope that turns out well to find out.
This is part of my point really----the differentiation can come in quickly, efficiently, and immediately providing the best possible price in the client's preferred method of communication. At the end of the day, our cars are commodities and people can and should be willing to find the best possible price, but the traditional car dealership games make it very difficult at best, and completely full of mistrust at worst.

leggy

Been here awhile...
SoCal
If anyone is interested to see and maybe test drive the 2.0t elite in SoCal, Puente Hills Hyundai have one.
Unfortunately this dealer dropped their genesis line but they still have demo cars.

G-563008

The worst roll-out of a new car-ever!
Genesis replied with a snippy e-mail to my inquiry of why Volvo could field the 2019 S60 so well and they could not. Especially considering they won Car of The Year everywhere. Someone should be fired over this debacle. I inch closer to the Volvo S60 every day.

Soma

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
If anyone is interested to see and maybe test drive the 2.0t elite in SoCal, Puente Hills Hyundai have one.
Unfortunately this dealer dropped their genesis line but they still have demo cars.
Sounds like someone there jumped the gun in getting those cars. :rifle:

CollinR4

Registered Member
Finally went to test drive the G70 3.3 Sport on Saturday at Dublin (OH) Genesis. Came away extremely disappointed that they claimed it was their 'policy' to go over numbers before offering a test drive on the 3.3, he even added something about the amount of power as part of the reasoning. I don't really see any reason to review numbers if after 5 minutes I conclude I'm not interested in the car.

That said, I get that you can use this 'policy' as a way to not have kids coming in to take every car out for a drive for 5 minutes without the means to afford the car but you need to apply a little discretion (i.e. common sense) to this. I pulled up in a 2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport, it's clearly a competitive model in the same price range. I've previously leased an Infiniti G37X and own my Lexus and never got that line from either of them.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Finally went to test drive the G70 3.3 Sport on Saturday at Dublin (OH) Genesis. Came away extremely disappointed that they claimed it was their 'policy' to go over numbers before offering a test drive on the 3.3, he even added something about the amount of power as part of the reasoning. I don't really see any reason to review numbers if after 5 minutes I conclude I'm not interested in the car.

That said, I get that you can use this 'policy' as a way to not have kids coming in to take every car out for a drive for 5 minutes without the means to afford the car but you need to apply a little discretion (i.e. common sense) to this. I pulled up in a 2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport, it's clearly a competitive model in the same price range. I've previously leased an Infiniti G37X and own my Lexus and never got that line from either of them.
I would have walked also. They can have a copy of my license and that is all they should need. Maybe give the GM a call and explain the situation and hopefully they will come to their senses and allow a test drive without all of that. Let us know if you try it and how it turns out.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^
Agree--that is crap and annoying. Seems to me that some of the dealers/salespeople are lacking in common sense.
I guess they could try to put it in a "safety advisory" to let you know what you are driving??? but that would take a matter of 45 seconds as you are buckling into the drivers seat.

Soma

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Had a similar situation when I was researching the G80. Ended up going back another time and was able to test drive (likely because I brought my dad with me), but it was a terrible experience. As far as I know that type of thing is never a rule at a dealership. Salesmen will make that as an excuse if they don't think you're serious about buying the car. A good salesman should know that his product is insured and make sure they get a copy of your DL. From there, let you do whatever you feel like (within a bit of reason) because if something happens they can hold you liable

Mike D

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
They currently have 4 G70s in stock at Huntington Beach Genesis including a AWD 3.3T in Himayalan gray with sport package and black/red interior. The salesman let my wife test drive it after copying her DL (the car will be her daily driver). She was moving a little too slow for him so I took over and pushed it a little. Acceleration was comparable to her 2010 BMW 650. We would have made an offer but she can't stand the red stitching!

Last edited:

Toddasaurus

Robots, lasers, dinosaurs.
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They currently have 4 G70s in stock at Huntington Beach Genesis including a AWD 3.3T in Himayalan gray with sport package and black/red interior. The salesman let my wife test drive it after copying her DL (the car will be her daily driver). She was moving a little too slow for him so I took over and pushed it a little. Acceleration was comparable to her BMW 640. We would have made an offer but she can't stand the red stitching!
It's all about the gray stitching! Much more subtle.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's all about the gray stitching! Much more subtle.
That's why I held out. I could have had my exact car with red stitching literally the first shipment in the USA. Atlanta got my car the first week dealers got deliveries (like 3 dealers). I held out for 3 extra months (I think...close to anyway).

So happy I did !

Soma

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
They currently have 4 G70s in stock at Huntington Beach Genesis including a AWD 3.3T in Himayalan gray with sport package and black/red interior. The salesman let my wife test drive it after copying her DL (the car will be her daily driver). She was moving a little too slow for him so I took over and pushed it a little. Acceleration was comparable to her BMW 640. We would have made an offer but she can't stand the red stitching!
Now if only they could give me a call letting me know my spec has been delivered. If you see an Adriatic Blue 3.3t Sport...dibs

Slowerthanslow

Registered Member
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Beef! I was just reading around the forum and came across your thread on your car...

I know this is old news to many forum readers but as someone who's been reading carefully only the last several weeks, it's new to me. (So, sorry for the repeat for those on here much longer than me.)

For recent readers who are a bit perplexed by finding the G70 you are looking for, I highly recommend reading Beefer's post on what he went through to find just the G70 he wanted. Impressive determination!

The thread is here: The Beef's G70

I do have a question, Beefer. You mention that you tracked down the Southeast Sales Manager and got him working on your side. Now, that's exactly the kind of effort from Genesis I would expect with a car that is so important to the company and yet faced issues with rollout!

How did you track down the regional sales manager? I wouldn't mind seeing if the southern Cal sales manager would put in the same effort for myself (and maybe a few others in here?) who've been waiting and watching patiently.

This is on my mind because I had a salesperson at one dealership tell me yesterday (in an email exchange), re the car I'm looking for (2.0T, RWD, elite, adriatic, black), Genesis is "not making that color combination in RWD and trim level." I can see online that this car is available from a couple of dealers in Texas and on the east coast, so I'm a bit skeptical I'm being told this for the purpose of getting me to buy a car from their current inventory.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This is on my mind because I had a salesperson at one dealership tell me yesterday (in an email exchange), re the car I'm looking for (2.0T, RWD, elite, adriatic, black), Genesis is "not making that color combination in RWD and trim level." I can see online that this car is available from a couple of dealers in Texas and on the east coast, so I'm a bit skeptical I'm being told this for the purpose of getting me to buy a car from their current inventory.
If you found that combination at other dealers then I can guarantee you he is just telling you that to get you to buy what they have in stock. It seems some (many?) dealers are not interested in doing dealer trades or requesting specific models/trims in their allocations. As an independent business that is their right but maybe not good for Genesis in the long run.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.