• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

G80 Sport - discoloration of the dark chrome trim around the doors

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Genesis accepted the warranty request and the parts were ordered. Since this is so rare, some dealers may be hesitant to submit. I recommend sharing this thread with them as a reference. My dealership used this thread and it appears it was accepted without much hassle.

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
2018 g80 3.8 ultimate, no issues with trim
I think there may be some confusion. To my knowledge, the only vehicles being affected are 2018 G80 Sports or any model with the bronze trim. If a model without the bronze Sport trim has the same issues it would valuable to the group to be made aware.

Last edited:

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My hypothesis is this issue is only applicable to the 2018 G80 Sport based on the postings in this thread. If any non 2018 G80 Sport owner has this issue let us know. Additionally, it would be helpful if any non-U.S. 2018 G80 Sport owners have this issue (e.g. our northern neighbors -eh ;). My 2018 G80 Sport was purchased in the East Tennessee. Port of entry was Brunswick, Georgia (U.S. not Russia :p) with a manufacture date of April 28, 2017

The 2018 G80 Sports is the only model with the darkened window trim pieces. Per the sales brochure "Sport dark chrome grille surround, grille insert and window trim".

I suspect this is an issue with the supplier using a "lacquer" to darken the non-Sport trim that is highly susceptible to this discoloration (acid rain, manufacture post lacquering cleaning solution) and not doing proper Q/A on their product before delivering to Genesis/Hyundai. My replacement trim had the same minor pitting on one piece. I assume, but cannot confirm, the dealer ordered replacement trim and did not "borrow" it from another G80 sport on the lot.

Since the replacement, I've done numerous home hand washes, 1 touch-free drive through wash, parked outside/driven in the rain, and the discoloration has not re-occurred. Car is kept garaged at home.

I did not discover this until my first home wash a couple of weeks after delivery. It took me several months to take it back to the dealer. Dealer replaced at no cost/no fuss (Mr. bubbaG80Sport we'll order the parts and fix the issue no problem).

My suggestions are:
1) Keep complaining to dealer
2) Find another dealer
3) Call Genesis/Hyundai repeatedly until you get resolution. Being gracious, charming and courteous will go a long way. As they say “You attract more bees with honey than vinegar”.

tcoach00@hotmail.com

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have the same issue and the dealer was willing to replace the trim but was hesitant to pull the trim off of a new car and was concerned. Whether that was from damaging the car getting the trim off or getting the trim secured and looking correct. I held off for now, but in the spring I think I am going to have them replace it. I would appreciate any input from people who have had the trim replaced as to the difficulty and how it looked afterwards.

Thanks.
Tom
2018 G80 Sport
Siberian Ice

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have the same issue and the dealer was willing to replace the trim but was hesitant to pull the trim off of a new car and was concerned. Whether that was from damaging the car getting the trim off or getting the trim secured and looking correct. I held off for now, but in the spring I think I am going to have them replace it. I would appreciate any input from people who have had the trim replaced as to the difficulty and how it looked afterwards.

Thanks.
Tom
2018 G80 Sport
Siberian Ice
Still waiting for my replacement trim to come in. Will do high quality pics of before and after. It concerns me a bit too to have them replaced but we will see..... Fingers crossed.

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Thanks.
Tom
2018 G80 Sport
Siberian Ice
I had mine ordered at delivery and replaced two weeks later after parts delivered. The dealer had no issues with removal or install. 6 months later still no blemishes and trim showing no issues from install.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had mine ordered at delivery and replaced two weeks later after parts delivered. The dealer had no issues with removal or install. 6 months later still no blemishes and trim showing no issues from install.
Do you perhaps know if the small windows in the rear are replaced as a whole or is that just trim also (the small glass behind the passenger windows)? The dealer thinks the window needs to be replaced and I have tint (Florida) on it that will most likely come out of my pocket.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Thanks.
Tom
2018 G80 Sport
Siberian Ice
For my replacement there was no damage to the car and the fit and trim was factory perfect. Obviously, this will depend upon the dealer/installer (competency, hungover, fight with significant other and didn't get lucky the night before, etc.).

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Do you perhaps know if the small windows in the rear are replaced as a whole or is that just trim also (the small glass behind the passenger windows)? The dealer thinks the window needs to be replaced and I have tint (Florida) on it that will most likely come out of my pocket.
No, the rear opera windows do not need to be removed or replaced.

OscarGambleNYY

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm noticing a possible problem on the chrome in the front of my G80 Sport ('19), around the grill and bottom corners, although it isn't quite like the marks that others have shown in the pictures. Mine look more like coffee stains, probably just water spots combined with dirt. Soapy water and elbow grease doesn't work, though. Any suggestions?

BrainDoc

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Wow, you guys are lucky. My dealership warranty manager claimed it was tree sap damage and wouldn't replace it. When I pointed out that tree sap doesn't just magically land on the trim around my windows and nowhere else they said it was damage from a car wash (Which I have used once), but somehow those chemicals only did this to the trim around my windows and nothing else. Then they said they had seen this on no other cars. So, it had to be environmental.

Showed them this page and they said it changed nothing, and to call customer care.

As I was leaving the service guy even said that he hoped they did the right thing, and he'd replace it if it was in his hands.

Called customer care who said they'd take a look and call me back. Over a week later I get a call saying that the dealership had said it was tree sap damage. I told them that the dealership said to call them to overturn their decision. So, asking what they thought wasn't the point, and they said they were e-mailing me to an alternate dispute method.

Looked at the email and it was the contact information for the BBB.

Genesis experience for the win!
What?! What dealership did that to you?

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Took a bit of time but my trim was replaced. It appears it's 16 pieces. The rear windows appear to have been replaced as well much to my surprise. It appears that trim comes attached to those pieces. Overall it looks nice & there does appear to be a proper clear coating over the trim where as my old trim felt like straight metal.

Pretty happy with the result.

larrymg1

Registered Member
Lexington South Carolina
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Took a bit of time but my trim was replaced. It appears it's 16 pieces. The rear windows appear to have been replaced as well much to my surprise. It appears that trim comes attached to those pieces. Overall it looks nice & there does appear to be a proper clear coating over the trim where as my old trim felt like straight metal.

Pretty happy with the result.
I had to have my right side replaced at delivery. I watched the R/R and they did not have to replace the opera windows?

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had to have my right side replaced at delivery. I watched the R/R and they did not have to replace the opera windows?
I mean I didn't watch them replace it but it does show they were replaced on the paperwork. They also replaced part of the front grill which was previously undamaged. I think in my case, they replaced anything that had the smoked look just to be safe.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums