G80 Sport - discoloration of the dark chrome trim around the doors

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Took my sport in for the uglified moldings, service manager suggested it is probably the car wash I'm using. I pointed out to the one nearly perfect molding out of the 10 and said " this here molding goes with us to the car wash nearly every time"
He ordered the 4 worst ones(lowers) and said that the detail guys will be able to rub out the others. I told that I already tried that and that won't work. He said "My guys are the best" after a week of them having my car and me driving around in a 2.0T G70 loaner, they are ordering the rest of the moldings.......Why is it so hard to get concerns that are obvious taken care of?

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Took my sport in for the uglified moldings, service manager suggested it is probably the car wash I'm using. I pointed out to the one nearly perfect molding out of the 10 and said " this here molding goes with us to the car wash nearly every time"
He ordered the 4 worst ones(lowers) and said that the detail guys will be able to rub out the others. I told that I already tried that and that won't work. He said "My guys are the best" after a week of them having my car and me driving around in a 2.0T G70 loaner, they are ordering the rest of the moldings.......Why is it so hard to get concerns that are obvious taken care of?
Its pathetic isnt it? They even get paid by genesis to do the work but make it so damn hard for us. Just submit the warranty claim and go from there. Detailers cant fix it.

For those going through the same thing, once I shared this thread, they stopped arguing and submitted the claim.

This thread is clearly on notice with genesis but no recall has been done either. Shame.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Its pathetic isnt it? They even get paid by genesis to do the work but make it so damn hard for us. Just submit the warranty claim and go from there. Detailers cant fix it.

For those going through the same thing, once I shared this thread, they stopped arguing and submitted the claim.

This thread is clearly on notice with genesis but no recall has been done either. Shame.
I have a feeling this is going to apply to more than just the G80. I washed my G70 yesterday for the first time and it looked a bit spotty in a couple of the dark chrome pieces. The car is a week old!

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have a feeling this is going to apply to more than just the G80. I washed my G70 yesterday for the first time and it looked a bit spotty in a couple of the dark chrome pieces. The car is a week old!
Not assuming neglect at all but be sure to wash when its cloudy and be mindful of the soap used. Thats not saying im siding with genesis but the dark chrome clearly isnt sealed properly.

The claim is when they peal the safety plastic off, its pealing the clear protective layer on the chrome and it will weather quick if thats the case.

Since replacing though, I have had no issue at all.

Soma

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not assuming neglect at all but be sure to wash when its cloudy and be mindful of the soap used. Thats not saying im siding with genesis but the dark chrome clearly isnt sealed properly.

The claim is when they peal the safety plastic off, its pealing the clear protective layer on the chrome and it will weather quick if thats the case.

Since replacing though, I have had no issue at all.
I actually was going to add to my post about that preemptively and decided not to. Lol

I got brand new microfiber towels, wash mitts, and PH-balanced soap and was meticulous about the wash to not add swirls. Washed on a cloud day. The main reason for the wash was to ID any scratches from the dealer as I know their detail job was trash when I bought it and I'm getting paint protection applied tomorrow

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I actually was going to add to my post about that preemptively and decided not to. Lol

I got brand new microfiber towels, wash mitts, and PH-balanced soap and was meticulous about the wash to not add swirls. Washed on a cloud day. The main reason for the wash was to ID any scratches from the dealer as I know their detail job was trash when I bought it and I'm getting paint protection applied tomorrow
Thats why I wasnt assuming neglect but you would be surprised how many people put their cars through the machine wash at their local gas station.

I have a 4 year ceramic coating applied to my vehicle now and I will never not have it again haha. Easiest washing ever and always "like new". Applied to the trim as well.

With that, take pics of the spot. If it begins to grow or other areas present, I would for sure talk to your dealer.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 2018 G80 Sport was delivered (Feb. 2018) with the spotting on the window trim on all four windows. I had it all replaced under warranty. After about 1 year/10K miles I'm seeing the spotting slowly return on all of the trim. I am very careful/meticulous when washing the car. I use PH balanced wash soap, microfiber towels, apply wax regularly and NEVER use an automated car wash.

I think the lacquer/coating used to add the bronze tint to the window trim is highly susceptible to water spot etching. It's a flaw/defect IMO.

Is the bronze/copper/darker window trim specific to the G80 Sport?
I do know there are numerous other copper accents specific to the G80 Sport trim level (grill headlights, wheel caps, seat stitching, etc.).
Based on posts in this thread this issue seems to be applicable to the G80 3.3 TT Sport only the versus 3.8 and 5.0 versions.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 2018 G80 Sport was delivered (Feb. 2018) with the spotting on the window trim on all four windows. I had it all replaced under warranty. After about 1 year/10K miles I'm seeing the spotting slowly return on all of the trim. I am very careful/meticulous when washing the car. I use PH balanced wash soap, microfiber towels, apply wax regularly and NEVER use an automated car wash.

I think the lacquer/coating used to add the bronze tint to the window trim is highly susceptible to water spot etching. It's a flaw/defect IMO.

Is the bronze/copper/darker window trim specific to the G80 Sport?
I do know there are numerous other copper accents specific to the G80 Sport trim level (grill headlights, wheel caps, seat stitching, etc.).
Based on posts in this thread this issue seems to be applicable to the G80 3.3 TT Sport only the versus 3.8 and 5.0 versions.
If you get it fixed again, try a ceramic coating on it. Should buy you a few years and makes it easier to clean. A side from the one G70 noticing some spotting, all other concerns have been g80 (2018 model) sport specific i do believe. They put the 2019 trim on mine so hopefully it was fixed in that run.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
If you get it fixed again, try a ceramic coating on it. Should buy you a few years and makes it easier to clean. A side from the one G70 noticing some spotting, all other concerns have been g80 (2018 model) sport specific i do believe. They put the 2019 trim on mine so hopefully it was fixed in that run.
I used ceramic coating on my 2011 3.8 Genesis paint. Great stuff! This would likely eliminate the issue, but I shouldn't have to spend the time and $ to fix the flaw/defect on my 2018 G80 Sport. I'll just keep it clean and waxed.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I used ceramic coating on my 2011 3.8 Genesis paint. Great stuff! This would likely eliminate the issue, but I shouldn't have to spend the time and $ to fix the flaw/defect on my 2018 G80 Sport. I'll just keep it clean and waxed.
No I agree 100%. I was coating the whole car already so it was just something I did extra as a precaution.

Sounds like you may have received the same 2018 trim as before. Ever try contacting genesis for their take? I mean cars at this price point shouldnt have issues like trim discoloration and there isnt enough of these on the road for the ones that are, to be presented as old and discolored.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Trim issue is not because of car washes or environment, it's substandard material used.
I've been an "unlimited wash" member at the local car wash chain since 2011, my two other cars got washed nearly every day for 4 years each. I never had a finish problem on either car and no corrosion other than some light surface stuff on the undercarriage. I live in Buffalo NY where they salt the roads non stop from November to April.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Trim issue is not because of car washes or environment, it's substandard material used.
I've been an "unlimited wash" member at the local car wash chain since 2011, my two other cars got washed nearly every day for 4 years each. I never had a finish problem on either car and no corrosion other than some light surface stuff on the undercarriage. I live in Buffalo NY where they salt the roads non stop from November to April.
Gas station car washes and a good car wash are not the same thing. I am not saying its not a poor quality issue with the parts but taking your car to a machine wash will cause hairline scratches (ask anyone that hand details their car weekly) and will certainly remove the little bit of coating that those trims had. Its more or less a means of prolonging the car finish on the trim is all I was eluding too.

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Gas station car washes and a good car wash are not the same thing. I am not saying its not a poor quality issue with the parts but taking your car to a machine wash will cause hairline scratches (ask anyone that hand details their car weekly) and will certainly remove the little bit of coating that those trims had. Its more or less a means of prolonging the car finish on the trim is all I was eluding too.
My car wash is touchless, except for the cloth hand dry, I always ask for fresh towels.

cubsfannc

After reading this thread when I went to drive a G80 Sport yesterday - I looked at the door chrome of a used 2018 the dealership had very closely and think I saw the same spotting issue on that one that others are discussing here. I have owned several cars in my life, and also wash and keep them up constantly - never been an issue on any car I have ever owned. Troubling issue for sure.....

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Do you perhaps know if the small windows in the rear are replaced as a whole or is that just trim also (the small glass behind the passenger windows)? The dealer thinks the window needs to be replaced and I have tint (Florida) on it that will most likely come out of my pocket.
Yes, they replaced my entire rear window behind the rear door. I just went back and they replaced my tint in 5 minutes.

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yes, they replaced my entire rear window behind the rear door. I just went back and they replaced my tint in 5 minutes.
Yea I replied to this post after my trim was done. They have replaced everything including the window & did my grill trim as well (had no spotting)

mdaecher

Registered Member
Pennsylvania
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
anyone figure out what can be done to prevent this in the first place? Considering buying a G80 Sport because of this trim and accenting more than any other feature

Ggace

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
anyone figure out what can be done to prevent this in the first place? Considering buying a G80 Sport because of this trim and accenting more than any other feature
Seems to be just the 18s. My trim is from the 2019 and its been fine since repair but now its ceramic coated so im good for years.