Genesis G70 Reviews

canucklehead604

Hasn't posted much yet...
West Coast Canada
^ interesting idea for a cross-trim review. don't see that often but i'd like more of it.

not surprised with the feedback when it comes to power/acceleration. going to or from the 2.0T after or before the 3.3T is a tough bargain. power is intoxicating. i suspect the comments would be similar to those of any other competitor IF they offered a manual in a 2.0T trim compared against the bigger engine. 330i 6MT versus 340i 8AT? same result. but none of them do offer a stick so the G70 6MT is a white unicorn. of course it would be ideal if Genesis had a manual box with the 3.3T. but that's not the case nor will it be. like the article says, this is truly a case of beggars can't be choosers.

as for the 'luxury' features i agree that removing some of the keynote G70 features like the Sport x-stitched nappa on the 6MT was a mistake in the US. luckily they didn't do this for the CAD market which retains all the Sport visual and mechanical bits. only the dynamic suspension, some electronic nannies, vented seats (doh!), and of course the engine differ so the impression made is much more of a luxury/sport vehicle.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ interesting idea for a cross-trim review. don't see that often but i'd like more of it.
A little bird tells me the Straight Pipes guys might do something like this soon...

as for the 'luxury' features i agree that removing some of the keynote G70 features like the Sport x-stitched nappa on the 6MT was a mistake in the US. luckily they didn't do this for the CAD market which retains all the Sport visual and mechanical bits. only the dynamic suspension, some electronic nannies, vented seats (doh!), and of course the engine differ so the impression made is much more of a luxury/sport vehicle.
A certain little bird who made this call also appreciates the feedback and agrees (albeit in a biased manner) that the Canadian 6MT setup strikes a better balance.

P.S. - No dice on the ventilated seats ;)

canucklehead604

West Coast Canada
It's really hard to take people that review the manual seriously!
Their opinions are all over the place as to how the gearbox and clutch feels.
^^ agreed - i began ignoring the subjective opinions on gearbox 'feel' a long time ago. what feels connected to one reviewer will feel imprecise to another. too personal of a topic to hold against the vehicle since it can't be objectively measured. this is just one of the reasons why i will stick with manuals until they are extinct - it makes the drive personal and driver-centric.

the clutch actuation and friction points seem to have universal acceptance, which are more defined traits.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
A little bird tells me the Straight Pipes guys might do something like this soon...

A certain little bird who made this call also appreciates the feedback and agrees (albeit in a biased manner) that the Canadian 6MT setup strikes a better balance.

If they need a 2.0T Automatic, let me know. I live close to the GTA anyway!

50jae

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That was a good, knowledgable review, but I disagree about white not having road presence, speaking from experience. 😉

Can't wait, their reviews are always fun to watch.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The review makes me wary about the non adaptive dampers though. While the ride is naturally compromised a bit to give the great handling and performance, I wouldn't want to down-the-road regret spending a ton of money on a car that doesn't ride amazingly.

The G70 was nominated for Cars.com's Best of 2019: https://www.cars.com/awards/2019/best-of/nominees/
I have the regular dampers on my 3.3T and love them. Excellent balance between sport and comfort with a bit more focus on the sport. All other reviewers have really liked them as well.

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The review makes me wary about the non adaptive dampers though. While the ride is naturally compromised a bit to give the great handling and performance, I wouldn't want to down-the-road regret spending a ton of money on a car that doesn't ride amazingly.

The G70 was nominated for Cars.com's Best of 2019: https://www.cars.com/awards/2019/best-of/nominees/
Suspension tuning is always something of a matter of preference, but here's my two cents after more seat time in various versions of the car than probably anyone on this forum: I personally find the non-adaptive suspension superior. While the ability to adjust the car's behaviour is a huge plus, the fixed-rate dampers really are the ideal middle ground.

No matter the setting, the standard damping maintains good body control and what I feel to be an exceptionally good ride considering, especially given the aggressive rubber on the 19" wheels. For my personal tastes, in the adaptive damper cars the Comfort mode is a touch soft, while the Sport mode can be a bit firm on rougher roads. Whether it's on back roads or a track, I've always found the regular suspension to be "justttttt right."

To be clear: I'm splitting hairs here. Both suspension setups are excellent and rank alongside or above anything else in the segment. You really can't go wrong, and as far as regrets, rest assured that the other differences between models (equipment levels, interior selection, etc.) have a far greater bearing on the experience.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah I can chime in, I have the standard dampers in my 3.3 and it rides great. Takes bumps like a champ and while firm it's not crashy. One of the better all around riding cars I've had. I'd be hard pressed to think of one I had that was better all up.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So I am confused with this article? Remember it was clearly stated that Genesis is not going the performance route...aka "N" ? I think Albert even said it.

Well...either they changed their minds...or this article is full of shit...

A Hotter Genesis G70 Could Be On Its Way
They must have changed their minds. I mean they're quoting someone who would be in the know. I can only imagine how awesome a high performance version would of the G70 would be.

JayceM

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Well it does say "could" and really with the reception and recognition the Veloster N and G70 have received it's not too far out there for them in a year or two to release a special edition that's hopped up. Maybe Genesis won't use the N nomenclature and then Albert won't be made a liar of. ;-)
That's my guess. They'll come up with some new designation for Genesis high performance.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's my guess. They'll come up with some new designation for Genesis high performance.
Yeah I would think so, they keep wanting to separate the brand at a deeper level. If you listen to a lot of the reviews they get hung up on a different skin for the infotainment, which doesn't bother me at all because I use Android Auto 99% of the time and honestly not everyone is going to be exposed to the Hyundai stuff before hand anyways, why would they even know it's the same without a reviewer telling them that? Anyways given that I agree it'll be in the same vein but have some other tag. Here are some free ones. ;-)

G-Sport (yeah boi)
G (Check out my G70-G, the O.G. G.)
O (comes after N)
N+1 (joke for you IT peeps out there)

50jae

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If they do carry through with G70 N, it will likely be out by the time our leases are up in 3 years. I think though the 3.3T is enough car for me, I can't even fully utulize its power in most of my daily driving and I have enough fun with it when I do tap into it. Any more performance and it'll be wasted on me personally. Would be excited to see them develop it though.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
So I am confused with this article? Remember it was clearly stated that Genesis is not going the performance route...aka "N" ? I think Albert even said it.

Well...either they changed their minds...or this article is full of shit...

A Hotter Genesis G70 Could Be On Its Way

They never stated that they weren't ever going to do it; just wasn't in the works presently and may not be necessary depending on how quickly electrification takes over.

But Biermann's now the big dog, so things may have changed.

Otoh, just the engine upgrade to the 3.5TV6 and 2.5T4 would increase performance (would also likely get other enhancements) so can still be bringing a hotter G70 w/o doing a full-on performance sub-brand.

Well it does say "could" and really with the reception and recognition the Veloster N and G70 have received it's not too far out there for them in a year or two to release a special edition that's hopped up. Maybe Genesis won't use the N nomenclature and then Albert won't be made a liar of. ;-)
Already been stated that if they were to do a performance sub-brand, would get a diff. designation.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.