Getting excited about the 2021 Stinger

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ Based on a report from AutoDaum, but someone stated that it doesn't really proffer any new information, much less any basis for it.

Still, think it's a pretty much given; wouldn't make any sense for Kia not to do it (or Genesis w/ the G70) if they want to continue selling the Stinger in Europe w/ the impending stricter CO2 regs.

High CO2 and other taxes are a major impediment to Stinger sales in many parts of Europe and Genesis needs to get those penalties more in line w/ the European makes (whether that be offering a less powerful base engine or offering a hybrid, even if a 48V system).

Last edited:

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looking forward to the DIY of the first person that puts the stock variable exhaust on their 2019/2020. lol

Mike_TX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Funny, I'm a Stinger owner and looking to trade to a G70. lol

I have the 2.0T, and after owning 2 previous Optimas with the same engine, I find it has plenty of power for any kind of normal use. That said, I'm excited about the upcoming 2.5T. It seems perfect to me, since it's almost impossible to use V6TT power in the city, and the excess the 2.5 will provide over the 2.0 will make for the occasional illegalities as well as good highway passing power.

And yes, the Stinger has a bigger backseat (which I don't need), and it's a foot longer then the G70. But don't let that hatch thing fool you ... the floor is high, and that sloping roof means you can't have anything very tall at the very rear. You'll have to scoot those suitcases and sports equipment up closer to the front so the hatch will close. It makes for a pretty shape, but it's not as practical as you might think.

I'm really liking the looks of the spy shots of the 2021 G70, and I think with the 2.5 engine it will fit me perfectly.

Backslack

Registered Member
As the saying goes, rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated:

Apparently, that's not the case, or at least not yet. Speaking to South Korean publication AutoDaum, an anonymous Kia official from the country said that "The release of the second-generation Stinger has not been decided yet. We plan to focus on preparing for the partial change model launch in the second half of this year." Not only did this statement confirm the facelifted Stinger's general launch date time frame, but also there's still hope the Stinger will live on.

And then the official had this to say: "The Stinger discontinuation is not only groundless at all, but also ridiculous fake news."

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ At the very least, the F/L should prolong the Stinger's life-cycle beyond the typical 5-6 years for HMG, thus punting the decision whether to cancel or go ahead w/ a 2G Stinger.

Speaking of the F/L, there is a report from a Korean publication stating that the GV70's engine lineup will consist of the 2.0T, 2.5T and 3.3TT.

The GV70 getting the 3.3TT instead of the 3.5TT leads further credence to the F/L Stinger and G70 sticking w/ the 3.3.L (at least for now).

The question is whether the 3.3TT (as well as the 2.0T) gets the Smart-Stream treatment; wouldn't make sense if it doesn't b/c Europe will be a key market for the GV70 (as well as the G70 and Stinger) and as is, the 3.3TT is a dirty engine which will penalize Genesis (and Kia) heavily w/ the upcoming WLTP regs.

If this report is accurate, surmising that Genesis is saving the 3.5TT for a future Sport variants of the G70 and GV70 (likely a little less power than the G80 Sport), and Kia, a higher performance trim of the Stinger (GTS?).

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Should be interesting how this all plays out.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's funny how you read that the next Stinger may not exist....and then you see them at Nürburgring - that's not free.

I hope Kia keeps it for the same reason's Lexus made the LFA. If you want to elevate your image you gotta make that car and, yeah, it'll cost more than it earns in the short term but you gotta play the long game.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's funny how you read that the next Stinger may not exist....and then you see them at Nürburgring - that's not free.

I hope Kia keeps it for the same reason's Lexus made the LFA. If you want to elevate your image you gotta make that car and, yeah, it'll cost more than it earns in the short term but you gotta play the long game.

Agreed. I really doubt that the next Stinger is in trouble. It has brought a whole new image for Kia, and I think it is a vital component in their product line.

On a side note, I saw a little teaser for the new Acura TLX Type S. Sounds pretty nice. We will find out just how fast, or slow, it is come the 28th of this month.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, the rear end of that TLX looks awesome. Based on my 15 previous years of design and/or drive-train disappointments with Acura, something will be wrong. Probably front wheel drive based AWD.. I'm was a big fan of Honda/Acura but they just stopped getting it right after the late 90s..

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yeah, the rear end of that TLX looks awesome. Based on my 15 previous years of design and/or drive-train disappointments with Acura, something will be wrong. Probably front wheel drive based AWD.. I'm was a big fan of Honda/Acura but they just stopped getting it right after the late 90s..

Agreed. Also, the TLX is rumored to be a transverse mounted engine, so it will be a front heavy car, and will mechanically be FWD biased - if those rumors are true (which I assume they are).

I have constantly been let down by Honda ever since the late 90's, and I think the S2000 was their last good car.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agreed. Also, the TLX is rumored to be a transverse mounted engine, so it will be a front heavy car, and will mechanically be FWD biased - if those rumors are true (which I assume they are).

I have constantly been let down by Honda ever since the late 90's, and I think the S2000 was their last good car.

S2000 is such an excellent car. I'd be interested in an S660 if they sold it out here!

1590019948194.png

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agreed. I really doubt that the next Stinger is in trouble. It has brought a whole new image for Kia, and I think it is a vital component in their product line.

On a side note, I saw a little teaser for the new Acura TLX Type S. Sounds pretty nice. We will find out just how fast, or slow, it is come the 28th of this month.

Meh, Honda's version of a Camaro, but a total miss if FWD based. They continue to play it way too safe over in the Honda camp. S2000 was and still is an awesome car.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

The ones testing are re freshes. The rumor is that there may not be a next gen Stinger but who knows? Cars in general are a dying breed. Maybe the next one will be an electric crossover and theyll call it the StingerE. Hahaha just a jab at that abomination Ford calls a Mustang.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No the one they are testing is the one that is under consideration for death

I've also seen articles saying Kia will make a StingerE and that it's it's future.

Personally, a performance hybrid... Please and thank you.

Cgo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No the one they are testing is the one that is under consideration for death

I've also seen articles saying Kia will make a StingerE and that it's it's future.

Personally, a performance hybrid... Please and thank you.
Oh!

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting read about the new engines and the RH vs LH-drive cars.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums