Getting excited about the 2021 Stinger

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
KCB is reporting the G70 with a 2.5 isn't being submitted for government testing in the KDM.... Not looking good ☹️

Looks like the G70 might be keeping the existing engines for a while.

Backslack

Registered Member
Perhaps Kia is worried about potential bugs with an all new engine, so it may be safer to limit it to just a few markets.
That has more to do with emissions, IIRC displacements above 2.0 liters are heavily taxed in places like Europe. The 2.5T is already in the G80 and GV80, so I doubt its application in the Stinger will be much trouble.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Things I saw that I really like:

• No more damn hood vents!
  • Frameless mirror
  • Suede seats are pretty
  • 2.5t! And new trans
  • New UI on the Infotainment looks fresh
  • Full LED rear lights
  • Quad pipes with the 2.5t look good
Even though some of the plastics look cheap in the video, I hope this comes to the USDM.

Redwing

Registered Member
Northville, MI
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I couldn't tell, but with frameless mirror are the homelink functions now in the headliner? Or maybe the US market gets a different mirror.

Redwing

Registered Member
Northville, MI
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No, on every other frameless mirror I've seen the home link buttons are on the bottom.
huh? Do you mean that even though the mirror is frameless, the buttons are on the bottom of the mirror? I didn't know that. Instead I thought they are in the headliner... like in my GLC.

HawaiiPD

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I bought a 2018 Stinger 3.3 TT new and it is garage kept with 3K mile on the odo. I got 0% financing thru Kia. I also bought a 2017 Genesis 3.8 to keep the Kia pristine. If the new Stinger gets the 3.5 TT I'm gonna trade in the '18 for a new Stinger.

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No, still 3.3T.

Also...

”...2.5T models remove the fake hood vents that previously came with every Stinger, but 3.3TT models retain them, and they are still nonfunctional.”

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's what the stinger carries in Korea.

Loosely translating the words on Kia's Korean website, the new emblem "symbolises maximised performance driving with the engine arrangement of rear-wheel drive".

"'Engineered by Excellence' are the core themes. Exclusive (for a select few), Exquisite (sophisticated and sensitive), Evolutionary (constantly evolving) presents the direction of the new premium line-up of Kia."

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well, yes, I think everyone gets the 3.3t it was always a question if you get the smaller car as they don't sell as well as the bigger.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What is the take rate for 2 L vs 3.3 in the U. S.? Anyone know?

MrMegadeth

Registered Member
Houston, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I can't find the sales figures by feature/trim. I'm just assuming that the ratio of 3.3t/2.0t was "surprising" to Kia based on a lot of the articles I've read and the fact that the smaller engine was almost phased out (again articles I've read) in a lot of places.

My read, is that the 2.0t is just under-powered on paper and in real-life....plus the MPG chasm isn't that deep between the 2 engines.

Honestly, I bet the 2.5t starts to poach sales from the 3.3t as most people see 300Hp and think that's enough - especially now that the MPG is in more favor of the 2.5t.

AWD

Hasn't posted much yet...
NJ
2021 Stinger showed up on the Kia site yesterday. Nothing unexpected, same trims as the ones on the EPA website since July 7.

AWD

Hasn't posted much yet...
NJ
Well, in the USDM it'll be 2022. KDM is always one year ahead.

Well, it's no news to this forum unlike some others that start with stin... 🤔

Kia also posted independent testing of the K5 with the 2.5 T-GDI. Trap speed of 103.3 bodes well for that engine in the 2022 Stinger. It is about halfway down the page:

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums