I'm a little surprised we haven't seen a comparison test between the G70 and new 3 series

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
No...it also has better Brembo’s and additional cooling.

And...no flipping way all 400 are sold. Probably less than 50.
I would be surprised if they sold 50. I have had the vin for the one my dealer is getting and the delivery date keeps getting pushed. Was expected to come today and then it was pushed to June 9. A portion of the 400 were also used as press cars. I do not know if I can hold out much longer past June 9 if it does not show up.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
They could have done a much better job of prepping those cars before the close-ups, particularly the G70, which for whatever reason seems to show the worst water-spotting. Is it too much to ask to request they carry a bottle of Quick Detailer?

ephone1

Registered Member
I really want to know exactly what the additional cooling entails... Anybody know?
We'll be able to figure this out once an OEM parts website shows up for Genesis. I'm also waiting to check the Stinger GT rear sway bar part number against the G70. I found one site forcing site that had the 2017 G70 and the sway bar for that matched the Stinger GT, so I'm 90% sure they're the same. If they are, then the Eibach rear sway will for the Stinger GT will fit the G70.

COToad

Finally a G70 owner!
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Castle Rock, CO
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just went through BMW's online configurator, and you can get an M340i xDrive that's $69K, but it requires taking the most expensive paint color (the one that costs $2K more than black, not just $500 more) and then checking literally every single option they have, including WiFi Hotspot, power trunk, and "Gesture Control to operate select functions with simple hand movements."

You can get one fairly well equipped -- leather, premium package, adaptive suspension -- for $59K. But the G70 3.3t Sport has some more stuff than that, and if you were going for feature parity, you'd end up around $63K MSRP.
lowest priced at the dealership near me is $62k up to 68k+. I test drove one of the 68k last tuesday and it was a nice ride but not for $17k more than my 3.3t awd prestige in my opinion. G70 interior is better in the seating/dash look. The M340 has better tech with all the options at that price point. The iDrive is light years ahead and the large screen with the great cameras are far superior. I don't care for the full digital display for the driver, prefer the analog still for spedo and tach, but that is just me. Not a long ride since I wasn't planning on buying, just a joyride. It reaffirmed my choice, not one regret.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No...it also has better Brembo’s and additional cooling.

And...no flipping way all 400 are sold. Probably less than 50.
Have a friend who just bought a Dynamic--and, given the number of sales of G70s in the U.S., think you are correct.

mkozlows

Registered Member
The Tesla Model 3 is so frustrating, because it seems like a genuinely great car, and I'd love to buy one... but Tesla the company is such a mess. Quality problems, service problems, continual worries about running out of money. Like, say what you will about the Giulia's reliability, at least you don't have to wonder if FCA is going to still exist in a year.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The Tesla Model 3 is so frustrating, because it seems like a genuinely great car, and I'd love to buy one... but Tesla the company is such a mess. Quality problems, service problems, continual worries about running out of money. Like, say what you will about the Giulia's reliability, at least you don't have to wonder if FCA is going to still exist in a year.
I generally agree. I liked some things about the Tesla--but ruled it out because, frankly, the company seems to be a mess and the CEO rants do not seem to be helping. Also, I want to be able to drive farther than the one charge distance.

FLnak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This has been my really only hold up about Tesla. At this point have things narrowed down to a G70 or Model 3. I love the tech in the Tesla and as a daily driver with some highway driving I would make good use of the autopilot features but I just have hesitations about the company and long term ownership of the car.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Motor Trend comparison with a G70 2.0 vs 330i vs Tesla 3.
The 2.0T is so hard to launch in stock form but I'm surprised that they didn't get around 5.8-5.9secs.
I got 6.0secs on my AWD a couple of times. Next best was 6.3secs.

jailer

Been here awhile...
Well.. this was a PANEL OF AUTO ENTHUSIASTS who drive the CRAP out of all sorts of cars.. Couple of things to consider is the 1.After watching a vid of a Tesla repair tech.. they are BEHIND with regard to construction of a vehicle. They just don't have the experience or refinement although I am a huge fan of EV's. 2. The G70 4 banger is not really something they perfected so I was surprised how well it did. 3. Critics forget that this is a VERY FIRST ATTEMPT in this segment for Genesis so it really is quite an achievement.

When we declared the G70 our 2019 Car of the Year winner, we were confident that Genesis had "built a better 3 Series." And, as it turns out, it did. While BMW was busy rewriting entire passages of its own playbook, Genesis adhered to its mission with clear, crystalline focus and created a killer sport sedan on the very first try.

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Well.. this was a PANEL OF AUTO ENTHUSIASTS who drive the CRAP out of all sorts of cars.. Couple of things to consider is the 1.After watching a vid of a Tesla repair tech.. they are BEHIND with regard to construction of a vehicle. They just don't have the experience or refinement although I am a huge fan of EV's. 2. The G70 4 banger is not really something they perfected so I was surprised how well it did. 3. Critics forget that this is a VERY FIRST ATTEMPT in this segment for Genesis so it really is quite an achievement.

When we declared the G70 our 2019 Car of the Year winner, we were confident that Genesis had "built a better 3 Series." And, as it turns out, it did. While BMW was busy rewriting entire passages of its own playbook, Genesis adhered to its mission with clear, crystalline focus and created a killer sport sedan on the very first try.
Agreed, Genesis can only get better from here. Soon, independent dealers will be established and they will have a full lineup.

CaliG70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

LISTEN CLOSELY when the TFL car guy starts asking about construction.

This is why I would never buy a Tesla. I would much rather buy an EV from Benz, Audi, or even Genesis if they make one. And the whole display fiasco? Too much for me.

jailer

Been here awhile...
This is why I would never buy a Tesla. I would much rather buy an EV from Benz, Audi, or even Genesis if they make one. And the whole display fiasco? Too much for me.
Yes.. and i don't give a crap about the acceleration being ridiculous.. as long as it is pretty quick. I would spend my money EASILY on a German or Asian make. A few of them are getting closer right now I think...... but they still need to truly match the battery tech of Tesla. BUT I would WAY rather have a vehicle constructed by them than Tesla. ALSO THE INTERIOR of the Benz or Audi just takes a dump all over the stupid Tesla laptop screen for a dash.. LOL And the construction will just put to shame any Tesla.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
as we start to receive more and more official test data, especially these head to head comparos, Genesis may have some explaining to do if data shows continual gaps between the G70 2.0T and competitors. it is reasonable, and logical, to expect one's 255hp G70 to be roughly equal to, say, a 330i which also has 255hp. given that enough of the other critical mechanical components (weight/gearing/etc) are also the comparable, we should not be seeing a delta of more than a few tenths. with this MW test, the delta is eight tenths 0-60 - almost a full second! sure, the 330i has 13% greater peak torque. but that doesn't explain the wide spread between times.

this has been discussed ad nausea already, but it will take a few more of these comparo tests, testing under similar conditions, to really expose if there could be a concern with the G70's numbers.

removing launch from the equation, the 45-65mph passing test also reveals a great divide of half a second to the 330i. if lag was the only issue, we should see the G70 close the gap a bit (or at least not lose more time) with the 330i for tests beyond 0-60. but that's not the case, either.

up until now i haven't been sold on the bust between the G70 2.0T and competitors. if we see several more tests like this one come in with similar numbers, like i said it may be time for Genesis to answer some tough questions.

i've heard there is an ECU update in Canada which may improve driveability or even add some power (?). i wonder if this is a fix...

mkozlows

Registered Member
up until now i haven't been sold on the bust between the G70 2.0T and competitors. if we see several more tests like this one come in with similar numbers, like i said it may be time for Genesis to answer some tough questions.
But kinda who cares, though? Like, the peak horsepower number is one single number, and you can never represent performance with a single number. Maybe looking at the horsepower curves would explain this; maybe it's something about the transmission's gear choices; whatever.

The important thing is that the 0-60 times, and other tested performance numbers, have always been out there. Nobody was walking around thinking that a 2.0T was as fast as the 330i or Giulia or whatever else no matter what the peak hp is, because we've always had the numbers that very clearly say it's slower. (And plus, buyers pretty much always test drive, and will either be okay with the speed or not.)

To me, the impressive takeaway of this comparison is that even with the 2.0T's slow acceleration, they still liked it better than a loaded 330i.

KusaKusa

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What I don't like about the Motortrend comparison is that they say the BMW 330i tries to do everything and that's a bad thing... but then they don't really say how it underperforms from a sporty perspective. They list a lot of comfort and luxury compromises but not really any performance compromises, so isn't that it just errs on the side of sporty rather than failing at everything? Also, comparing the 2.0T G70 to the other cars doesn't make sense to a consumer when the other cars are $15,000 (~30%) more expensive. Imagine making the second biggest purchase of your life and it's 30% more expensive. The cost of the options for the 330i are almost 50% of its base price LOL.