I'm a little surprised we haven't seen a comparison test between the G70 and new 3 series

mkozlows

Registered Member
^ yes, i focus more on torque curves for off-the-line response. the G70 peaks at 1400, the 330i at 1550. with a turbo the curve is usually quite flat until ~4500 where it starts to drop off and which is where hp tends to peak. so the area under the curve should be comparable - except the 330i has a 13% peak torque advantage.
So yeah, here's the graph of torque and hp curves (assuming this site is reasonably correct):

You can see that the torque looks very different and that flows through to very different hp curves, even though the peak HP is very similar.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
When you see specs on turbochargers individually rated at 200-220hp, is that over what the engine HP is or is that total based on the type of engine is should be mated to?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's a general rule of thumb. Usually means that, when using that specific turbo, your total power output will be as advertised. It's kind of the ideal power output for that turbo. It can put out a bit more, but it will be very inefficient when doing so.

That said. If you're current engine/turbo combo is already making around 200-220HP, and you want to make more power, then you'll want to choose a bigger turbo than one that advertises those same numbers.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Here's an MT comparison of the 3er and Giulia.

Counter these impressions with the inherent Italian passion of the Alfa. We found the Giulia's ride and handling superior to the BMW's. "Alfa absolutely cracked the ride/handling code," Walton said. The steering is well balanced, and the suspension is firm enough to feel sporty yet comfortable when you want it.

And although the Italian gallant is a couple of years longer in the tooth than the just-redesiged BMW, the Alfa does a lot of things right. When driven in Dynamic mode, the car doesn't beat you up. It simply moves with composure and swiftness. The Giulia feels natural, an extension of your corporeal form. "It's just so good in many different ways," Walton said. "And in the ways it doesn't quite measure up, it really doesn't matter to me.

Relevant as other reviews have stated that the G70 is closest to the Giulia in the handling/ride/steering feel categories, but also being a better overall package.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Walton said. "And in the ways it doesn't quite measure up, it really doesn't matter to me.
Translation: I am a free-champagne-sipping automobile writer who never buys my own vehicles anyway; thus I never have to keep one longer than a couple of months, missing out entirely on that dreaded inevitable moment when, while stranded on the side of a road with a silent, hangry significant other, I realize I should have listened to all that "unreliable Italian" talk before writing the 60K check out of my own pocket.

Last edited:

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Autoguide's comparison -

The G70 looks better (there was a time, when BMW designs were timeless).

Spoiler....

The Verdict: 2020 BMW 3 Series vs Genesis G70

In the end, the Genesis G70 retains its crown as AutoGuide.com‘s favorite sport sedan. Although it’s lacking in features and technology when compared to the BMW, it feels more focused on what matters in this segment: Driving dynamics and luxury. Add the fact that it’s also much more affordable, and the lack of tech doesn’t seem like such a big deal anyway. The BMW “feels like it’s trying to be a million different things — a smartphone, a sports car, a luxury car, a spa, a family car, and more — but it’s doing none of them well,” Sébastien says. The Genesis G70 makes fewer compromises and is executed with so much focus that anyone who drives both sedans back to back and can’t see how impressive the G70 is can be classified as a diehard BMW fan who’s in it for the badge. For these people, go ahead and get the BMW, you’ll be happy with it. But for everyone else, the Genesis is not only a smart choice but also the one we think will bring you more joy.

The G70 is almost a gen behind in tech (as well as dash design) of H/K's latest offerings (even the Kia Soul gets a 10.25" LCD in its upper trim).

Most of the time, automakers do either a more extensive sheetmetal or interior refresh for the MCE, but can see Genesis doing both in the case of the G70 (should be getting changes to the exterior to bring the design in line w/ Genesis' new design language a la the facelift for the G90).

Last edited: