• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Intake comparisons

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So, Agency Power intakes installed... I’m disappointed in the product itself. Fitment was less than adequate in multiple places.
- Having to modify the passenger side recirc hose was unexpected and annoying. If I go back to stock that hose will need to be replaced with new, may have to be replaced if I go with a different intake as well.
- Driver side heat shield is pressed against the strut bar, no amount of finagling would help that.
- Driver side trim piece is just enough to actually press up on the hood and show a noticeable gap. Removing that trim piece solved the gap issue, I pulled both sides off because symmetry. Plus honestly the overall design isn’t really preventing hot engine air passed the shields.
- Driver side PCV hose fitting loosely fit into the piping. The fitting is plastic which kinda surprised me seeing as all of AP’s lit shows it being brass.
- Passenger side hose clamp at the turbo was smaller than it should be and was a royal pain in the ass to install with the clamp needing to be all the way out to the edge while as far open as possible without being off the hose.
- Passenger side pipe into the heat shield puts the filter less than a 1/4” from heat shield mounting screw. May not be a problem but damn it’s really close.
- Passenger side pipe, where the filter attaches, is going to have to be modified to keep the filter from slipping off once clamped down. This is extremely frustrating because the way the pipe and shield come together you don’t have much room to slide the filter back over the pipe. Three times the filter slipped off while tightening the clamp down. The clamp keeps walking towards the end of the pipe as you tighten it. I’ll need to check this regularly until I can pull the pipe back out and rough up the end to give the filter some friction points.
I mean yay I’ve got intakes and they sound great. But honestly disappointed with the overall quality of the kit. I feel like the entire kit was done as “close enough” and boxed to ship. Most of the reviews and comments I’d seen about this AP kit were positive, and it wasn’t until after I installed it that I saw a comment on AP’s site echoing some of my complaints.
So yeah, this is my opinion. Not sure if others have had the same issue and I missed those, or if I got a “Friday” kit.

Dang, I can understand your frustration. Like @joschneider said, many Stinger owners have also complained of the driver's side intake hose popping off because there is no lip on the elbow end where the coupling attaches. They've emailed AP about it, maybe you can as well and let them know about your fitment problems in the G70..

billy@agency-power.com

I'd ask to return that damn thing! It's so expensive, it shouldn't have that many issues.

hi_im_pancake

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dang, I can understand your frustration. Like @joschneider said, many Stinger owners have also complained of the driver's side intake hose popping off because there is no lip on the elbow end where the coupling attaches. They've emailed AP about it, maybe you can as well and let them know about your fitment problems in the G70..

billy@agency-power.com

I'd ask to return that damn thing! It's so expensive, it shouldn't have that many issues.
That’s my main complaint is that the price is set at a “premium” price point but the product delivered doesn’t justify it. I’m not saying AP should lower the price, but they really should go back to the drawing board and redo the entire design.
A simple fix for the filter issue would be to lip the end of the intake pipe to give the clamp some backing. A better solution would be to supply a machined aluminum flange that goes through the heat shield where the filter attaches to one side and the pipe attaches to a coupler hose that attaches to the flange from the engine side of the heat shield. This would also negate the open air space around the pipe & filter that exists now. The trim around that hole, on the heat shield, doesn’t seal at all.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am totally stumped on intake purchase. They dont make what I want (injen with heat sheilds). Of late I have been back to my original choice for the price BMS and maybe add another bit of heat sheild and some weather strip to top. I just do not like the inverted filters. I will figure it out one day.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am totally stumped on intake purchase. They dont make what I want (injen with heat sheilds). Of late I have been back to my original choice for the price BMS and maybe add another bit of heat sheild and some weather strip to top. I just do not like the inverted filters. I will figure it out one day.
Stillen! I think the guys that had fitment issues were just lazy and impatient.

hi_im_pancake

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Stillen! I think the guys that had fitment issues were just lazy and impatient.
Not gonna lie, the Stillen intake looked like a mess of an install. But I guess if everything fits together nicely then it shouldn’t matter.

The shop I bought my AP intake from is going to reach out to them on Monday to let them know I’m not happy. I’m already looking at other intakes, which is a shame because this kit looked the most promising of any I’d seen.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Not gonna lie, the Stillen intake looked like a mess of an install. But I guess if everything fits together nicely then it shouldn’t matter.

The shop I bought my AP intake from is going to reach out to them on Monday to let them know I’m not happy. I’m already looking at other intakes, which is a shame because this kit looked the most promising of any I’d seen.
It's probably the most involved.

I love my AEM intake. I think it's the best one. Though I do admit that Stillen looks cooler.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

That's too bad that it was a PIA to install. I absolutely hate aftermarket bolt-ons that are poorly engineered, like nobody ever tried it out first before marketing it. When they're pricey, it's even worse. No excuse. Good luck to you.

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I dunno. I still like my DIY intakes. They certainly work and look great. My only issue with them is the lack of heat shields, but in my climate, that's not too big of an issue.

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I still enjoy my DIY intakes as well, although I've been tempted to upgrade them to AEM eventually for better heat shields and aesthetics.
If heat shields are the primary concern, then Stillen is the best choice. They are unfortunately just as expensive as AP and just about all of the cai's that I've researched at least, have very similar performance results albeit different sounds and different visual asthetics.

Attachments

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If heat shields are the primary concern, then Stillen is the best choice. They are unfortunately just as expensive as AP and just about all of the cai's that I've researched at least, have very similar performance results albeit different sounds and different visual asthetics.
All things considered AEM would still be my choice as it offers a better value proposition than the Stillen kit as it costs less and provides similar gains. I'm big on value for my dollar, that's a huge part of why I bought a Genesis instead of a German rival.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I bet the stillen is one of the most quiet ones too...hmmm. Must not spend 500 on an intake no G70 owner has tried yet..I can resist

Azmatik

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey buddies I just wanted to share my experience with Air Intake system. I really wanted the K&N typhoon setup but didn't want to drop $600 Canadian, I went to my local Canadian Tire and bought 2 K&N intakes for a total of $100. I called K&N and asked them if I could purchase the heat shields from the Typhoon kit and they said yes! Unfortunatly they're in California and I would have to pay duty fees and USD conversion, I purchased 2 of the shields for a total of $140 CDN oh and I bought two 3" exhaust pieces to fit in the clamp on filter and my stock induction hose. The end result is actually really nice here are pics for a total of $240. Now... performance wise I actually feel like I lost low end power but temps are still cold here in Ontario and inconsistent. The blow off sound is nice but I ultimately regret not getting the K&N typhoon kit with the 3" aluminum induction.

Attachments

Miked218

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I bet the stillen is one of the most quiet ones too...hmmm. Must not spend 500 on an intake no G70 owner has tried yet..I can resist
I finally bought and received the Stillen CAI but haven't had the time to install them. I'll try to get it done this weekend and post about it or do an install video or something.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just wanted to note another option that's free. A fellow on the Stinger forum removed the OEM intake's 90 degree elbow just behind the bumper. He measured the restriction of that piece to be 5 inches of vacuum. The total vacuum of the intake is 9 inches. So removal drops the entire intake to just 4 inches of vacuum, which means less restriction, thus more flow. Also perfectly safe from rain/water and a straight shot into the intake box. Lastly, still direct cold air.

I did it and feel better throttle response and more mid range grunt. I also like that it stays quiet.

Screenshot_20200325-211425.jpg Screenshot_20200325-211425.jpg

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the pics and the tip. That sounds like a great, low cost way to make a big improvement, maybe coupled with an AEM or K&N stock filter replacement.
So you have to take the bumper off to do this? How difficult would you say the whole procedure is?

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And to further clarify, these are how the elbows look before removal...

You're basically eliminating 3 and a half 90° bends from the intake tract by removing them. Definitely a bottleneck.

Hard to argue with free power.
You and your clean car :grinlaugh:

Ugh, now I need to find better pictures - lol!!

But yeah, I think it's a good option, especially for those that don't want more noise

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the pics and the tip. That sounds like a great, low cost way to make a big improvement, maybe coupled with an AEM or K&N stock filter replacement.
So you have to take the bumper off to do this? How difficult would you say the whole procedure is?
Yeah, agreed. I've watched video's about K&N filters but know nothing about AEM filters. Many tests do show an increase in power with K&N filters. I'm just wondering about the oiling process and potential of damaging the MAF sensor. I would like to know more about that...

The bumper needs to come off, yes. I thought it would be more difficult than it was but I took my time to understand how to clip it in and out at the fenders etc and it wasn't bad at all. I would estimate about and hour or so for the whole job.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums