• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Intake comparisons

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ok I just ordered the AEM for my car. I had the cold air one on my Mini Cooper JCW and the fit was great. I do some runs with the stock intake and monitor the AIT and see what it is after the AEM is installed.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Well abandoned those plans and just went with the K&N drop ins. They are substantially thinner and the Butt Dyno says little more pick up.
Same here, with everything I read besides sound dont know if the very small gains are worth it for a non raced street car. Although I am interested in any mod that increased throttle response and decrease turbo lag.

FastEddie

“Did you check the safety manual?” -Yogi Bear
Gilbert, AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Same here, with everything I read besides sound dont know if the very small gains are worth it for a non raced street car. Although I am interested in any mod that increased throttle response and decrease turbo lag.
Did notice a little better pickup and you can hear the turbo whistle a little with the K&N’s

matpal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
you're talking about the K&N drop ins with no replacement of the other intake components, just the actual flat filter?

On a sidenote, I've noticed that some of these intake setups have the cone filters towards the front whereas something like the Burger setup has them clearly on the sides. Anyone think this is a significant difference?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
you're talking about the K&N drop ins with no replacement of the other intake components, just the actual flat filter?

On a sidenote, I've noticed that some of these intake setups have the cone filters towards the front whereas something like the Burger setup has them clearly on the sides. Anyone think this is a significant difference?
I'm sure the differences are negligible; even so, I think having them facing the front, and just being closer to the front, would be best, as the intake will draw in cooler air coming from around the headlights, as opposed to the hotter engine bay air.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think the Velossa tech snorkels would pair really nicely with the stock intake and k&n panels. Just some food for thought.

I have a set, just waiting for their revised active airflap servo mount to arrive. Plus, I also have my AEM intake (also waiting for a new diverter valve hose to come in), and catch can kit I need to install... Oh, and I have to reinstall my JB4, haha, as I want to log IAT's. I'll post my installs when I get around to them, which should be in the next few days hopefully.

Last edited:

matpal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Todd, curious what made you select the AEM intake over any of the others?

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think the Velossa tech snorkels would pair really nicely with the stock intake and k&n panels. Just some food for thought.

I have a set, just waiting for their revised active airflap servo mount to arrive. Plus, I also have my AEM intake (also waiting for a new diverter valve hose to come in), and catch can kit I need to install... Oh, and I have to reinstall my JB4, haha, as I want to log IAT's. I'll post my installs when I get around to them, which should be in the next few days hopefully.
Where

Where did you order the hose and servo mount?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Todd, curious what made you select the AEM intake over any of the others?
AEM and K&N seem to have the best heat shields out of all the intakes I've seen so far, so that was one big reason. Another reason is the piping is all plastic, which means less thermal conduction vs the K&N. I'm planning on upgrading the cone filters to aFe filters that have more surface area. The price isn't too bad either.

Other intakes look pretty dang good as well, like the Injen intake, but I personally wanted adequate heat shielding. Agency Power makes a nice intake with good heat shields, but I've read they consistently have moderate fitment issues, and it's expensive. Even so, if it weren't for the quality control/fitment issues, that was the intake I was initially planning on using.

All things considered, I figured the AEM intake was the best bang for the buck.

I'll document my install in a few days. I'm hoping to compare IAT's between AEM and stock, then with the Velossa tech snorkels.

matpal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
AEM and K&N seem to have the best heat shields out of all the intakes I've seen so far, so that was one big reason. Another reason is the piping is all plastic, which means less thermal conduction vs the K&N. I'm planning on upgrading the cone filters to aFe filters that have more surface area. The price isn't too bad either.

Other intakes look pretty dang good as well, like the Injen intake, but I personally wanted adequate heat shielding. Agency Power makes a nice intake with good heat shields, but I've read they consistently have moderate fitment issues, and it's expensive. Even so, if it weren't for the quality control/fitment issues, that was the intake I was initially planning on using.

All things considered, I figured the AEM intake was the best bang for the buck.

I'll document my install in a few days. I'm hoping to compare IAT's between AEM and stock, then with the Velossa tech snorkels.
Thanks so much. Would you include the Burger Motorsports K&N setup as a quality one, osid Burger throw in some cheaper heatshields? Seems really inexpensive compared to the rest.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks so much. Would you include the Burger Motorsports K&N setup as a quality one, osid Burger throw in some cheaper heatshields? Seems really inexpensive compared to the rest.
BMS intake looks like it flows really well, though I think it could benefit from some heat shields. For the price it's hard to beat. Either way, they show some solid gains on the Dyno that's on par with most other intakes. I think with more heat shielding you would see better performance out in real day to day driving. Though that's purely speculation on my part... Or maybe an educated guess.

matpal

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
BMS intake looks like it flows really well, though I think it could benefit from some heat shields. For the price it's hard to beat. Either way, they show some solid gains on the Dyno that's on par with most other intakes. I think with more heat shielding you would see better performance out in real day to day driving. Though that's purely speculation on my part... Or maybe an educated guess.
So those black metal(?) housings are not heat shields you don't think?

DonMufti

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey guys,
Just ordered the AEM Intake off amazon.
I Was really going back and forth between the AP, K&N and the AEM. I really wanted the AP , but for the price, i decided to go with the AEM. Plus i preferred the red color on the cones as oppose to the blue.

I own the G70 3.3 Sport Rear Wheel drive and live in Northern Virginia

Enjoy the attachments of Intake and vehicle.

Attachments

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hey guys,
Just ordered the AEM Intake off amazon.
I Was really going back and forth between the AP, K&N and the AEM. I really wanted the AP , but for the price, i decided to go with the AEM. Plus i preferred the red color on the cones as oppose to the blue.

I own the G70 3.3 Sport Rear Wheel drive and live in Northern Virginia

Enjoy the attachments of Intake and vehicle.

I like the AEM intake, for the price it's a pretty decent product. Just keep in mind that you need to either trim the passenger side diverter valve hose, or just get a straight replacement hose (that's what I did). In addition to this, the driver's side heat shield gets in the way of the OBDII diagnostic plug. You can move the plug, or trim the heat shield (i moved my plug).

I upgraded my filters, also added some heat reflective tape. I think it looks pretty dang good.

IMG_20191010_022813.jpg

DonMufti

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I like the AEM intake, for the price it's a pretty decent product. Just keep in mind that you need to either trim the passenger side diverter valve hose, or just get a straight replacement hose (that's what I did). In addition to this, the driver's side heat shield gets in the way of the OBDII diagnostic plug. You can move the plug, or trim the heat shield (i moved my plug).

I upgraded my filters, also added some heat reflective tape. I think it looks pretty dang good.

View attachment 24415
Oh i read your post, definitely bought that valve. Oh your the man. Thanks for the heads up. That gold on your looks phenomenal. Do they have one in red?

I really wanted the injen short ram intake because of the red piping hahaha. But did not like the fact that it doesnt have a heat shield, and wasnt sure if it would fit on my car considering its made for the stinger.

Ill be getting the parts monday god willing. Im so excited

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Oh i read your post, definitely bought that valve. Oh your the man. Thanks for the heads up. That gold on your looks phenomenal. Do they have one in red?

I really wanted the injen short ram intake because of the red piping hahaha. But did not like the fact that it doesnt have a heat shield, and wasnt sure if it would fit on my car considering its made for the stinger.

Ill be getting the parts monday god willing. Im so excited

Nice! You got me curious...I started looking for red heat reflective tape, but I can't find any. I did, however, find some red reflective tape - but it looks like it's designed for more construction/industrial use, not to reflect heat radiation.

Let us know how it all turns out!

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums