• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

3.3T Intake comparisons

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you have a sound clip posted anywhere with the valves open, and closed? Can a person open the EVC at intervals - or is it all or nothing?
Settings open, closed ,and a mid setting. Remote controlled
Search g70 Kunstwerk on YouTube. I have open closed with and without downpipes.
Video sound clips close but not exact sound.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So, I tried what Pickle did in post #60 vs. what I did (and others) in my post #63. Based on viewing my IAT's while driving to work, I'd say on average the install that Pickle did vs. what I did is around 5-10F higher in most driving conditions. It would appear that having the filter closer to the snorkel helps keep the IAT's lower, and it would seem once in motion the install I did seems to drop temps quicker vs. the install in post #60 based on my observations.

I'm still waiting on the AEM/K&N heat shields to arrive (only received the drivers side so far). I don't believe the heat shield will work with the Spectre filters as the Spectre filter is just too long (and the opening in the heat shield is too small in diameter w/o modification). I may ultimately go with the AEM/K&N heat shields with the K&N filter, keeping the OEM intake tubes (like what was done in post #111).

Installed my DIY intakes last night. I used the Spectre heat shields and used some DEI Reflect-a-gold on the back side of them to help reflect heat. Drive to work this morning outside temp was 70F. Intake temps climbed up to 100F doing about 55mph (sometimes dropping down to 98F). On a slower road before parking, temps climbed to 113F. I'd argue IAT temps seem about the same as the K&N panel filters. You can hear the turbo's spool now at lower speeds, and you can hear the OEM BOV a bit more now (which sounds kinda like a bullfrog). I did some trimming of the heat shields to reduce concerns of the sharper bottoms edges cutting into anything, then added car door edge guards. I'm not a huge fan of how the heat shield pushes against the hoses on the drivers side, but there isn't much a person can do about it.

I did some looking up by the grill area, etc. I honestly can't figure out where the outside air is feeding the OEM airbox? I never understand why the OEM's don't give the airbox a direct path to outside air.

I'd be curious to what your seeing for IAT temps Pickle with your setup....

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So, I tried what Pickle did in post #60 vs. what I did (and others) in my post #63. Based on viewing my IAT's while driving to work, I'd say on average the install that Pickle did vs. what I did is around 5-10F higher in most driving conditions. It would appear that having the filter closer to the snorkel helps keep the IAT's lower, and it would seem once in motion the install I did seems to drop temps quicker vs. the install in post #60 based on my observations.

I'm still waiting on the AEM/K&N heat shields to arrive (only received the drivers side so far). I don't believe the heat shield will work with the Spectre filters as the Spectre filter is just too long (and the opening in the heat shield is too small in diameter w/o modification). I may ultimately go with the AEM/K&N heat shields with the K&N filter, keeping the OEM intake tubes (like what was done in post #111).
Lol given how much you've likely spent on intake parts up this point you probably would have been better off just getting an AEM or K&N intake in the first place. 😁

Where were you able to source the heat shields from?

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yep. Could have just purchased the K&N - but I like to tinker.

Got the heat shields directly from K&N/AEM.

Lol given how much you've likely spent on intake parts up this point you probably would have been better off just getting an AEM or K&N intake in the first place. 😁

Where were you able to source the heat shields from?

Attachments

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Thanks for doing this! Good to know how the "backwards" DIY setup compares. If I get the gumption up to swap things around, I'll get on it, but so far, despite the 3-5C IAT difference, I'm happy. Having the intakes alone is a big deal and I'm not looking for every last HP gain. I wonder how the increased IAT effects HP?

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I ordered an AEM intake over 3 weeks ago, still don't have it. Evidently they're on backorder, and don't have a ship date until early next month. Very frustrated.

Checked other suppliers too, same story, except for vivid - but only AFTER ordering they're saying it's actually not in stock, and I'm stuck waiting just like before.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I ordered an AEM intake over 3 weeks ago, still don't have it. Evidently they're on backorder, and don't have a ship date until early next month. Very frustrated.

Checked other suppliers too, same story, except for vivid - but only AFTER ordering they're saying it's actually not in stock, and I'm stuck waiting just like before.
Just ordered mine today from Jegs. They say shipped directly from manufacturer on 08/28. We will see

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Do you need to replace the cone filters more frequently than regular filters, since they are expose to all the debri inside engine bay?
Unsure. If I had to guess, I would say that they would get dirty faster.

Even so, most aftermarket cone filters do not need to be replaced when dirty - they are washable.

Mufasa

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks! Only had the JB4 installed for a week or so before the intakes. Definitely feel a big difference after putting the intakes on. I can check to see what the IATs are soon. I am in Texas so I am sure they won't be impressive right now though, 100s all week.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks! Only had the JB4 installed for a week or so before the intakes. Definitely feel a big difference after putting the intakes on. I can check to see what the IATs are soon. I am in Texas so I am sure they won't be impressive right now though, 100s all week.

Those Injen intakes are really nice - I just wish they had a heat shield! Either way, I've heard nothing but good things about them. Maybe pair them with some Velossa Tech snorkels so the intakes can pull in cooler outside air easier?

Also, what octane fuel are you using in Map 2? I've seen a lot of people use 91 and it is working out fine for them..

G-223507

Those Injen intakes are really nice - I just wish they had a heat shield! Either way, I've heard nothing but good things about them. Maybe pair them with some Velossa Tech snorkels so the intakes can pull in cooler outside air easier?

Also, what octane fuel are you using in Map 2? I've seen a lot of people use 91 and it is working out fine for them..
93 is the standard premium around Dallas from what I’ve noticed. I am running the stock plugs at the moment though. Have some gapped Densos but can’t find a decent install price and my mechanic buddy has been busy. That being said I haven’t heard any misfires so far.

Mufasa

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

93 is pretty much the standard around Dallas from what I have found. I haven't been able to do the plug replacement, I have the Densos just haven't found a place to do it for a decent price and my mechanic buddy has been busy. I haven't heard any misfires as of yet though. It was 100F out today and I noticed the IAT was about 118 on the highway and 130 slow cruising around town.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums