Map Update 14.5 coming soon

Don88

♪If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)♫ Staple Singers
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Is the installation/copy program (to the USB) really slow for anyone else? The whole process has been going on for at least 35 minutes, and that's with a 1Gigabit connection and plugged into a USB 3.0 plug.
Took me 4 hours to download the update to an earlier version SD Card plugged into an USB port on my computer. Long time, yep, but quicker than the mailman.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I did the Navigation 14.5 upgrade on my 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T (9.2" touch screen) this weekend without any issues.

- I had Mapnsoft FedEx me the update on SD card versus doing the download method.
- Upgrade took only 10 minutes. Previous upgrades took 35-45 minutes.
- I was not prompted by DIS to start upgrade. I had to go into menu (System Info\Update) to manually start the upgrade.
- I did not see any noticeable changes in functionality. This update appears to be a solely map database update.
- The only changes in the System Info\Version screen were the MAP VER. NAM 13.41.42.660.202.3 -> NAM 13.47.44.680.201.3

They corrected the spelling on the spline packaging from NaGivation to Navigation finally ;)

Last edited:

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Update to my odd 14.5 POI issues.

MapnSoft tech support has been emailing me requests to send them pics of my software screen, pix of the screen when I ask system to, for example, "Find McDonalds" vs. "Find Fast Food" etc. They are stumped as to why system says there are no McDonald's within 50 miles of me when I ask directly to find said restaurant but when I ask system to find "fast food", it clearly shows/finds McDonald's and numerous other fast food locations.

So we'll see what they attempt to do to fix the issue for me.

Last edited:

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
As far as voice recognition system it's like travelling with an idiot.
She just " Doesn't understand" any voice prompts .Completely useless system.I don't have any accent except I am Canadian but never say Eh to her ;)!

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Oh yes, she is not brightest bulb in the voice recognition world for sure. I've had ample amounts of the "Sorry, I don't understand" stuff happen with 2-3 different software/map versions. I can literally be sitting in perfect silence in my driveway asking her for directions and she says she doesn't understand me. One of worst systems around IMO.

Don88

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Update to my odd 14.5 POI issues.

MapnSoft tech support has been emailing me requests to send them pics of my software screen, pix of the screen when I ask system to, for example, "Find McDonalds" vs. "Find Fast Food" etc. They are stumped as to why system says there are no McDonald's within 50 miles of me when I ask directly to find said restaurant but when I ask system to find "fast food", it clearly shows/finds McDonald's and numerous other fast food locations.

So we'll see what they attempt to do to fix the issue for me.
I wonder if she hears you say "MICdonads" or "MACdonalds"? Or even if it would make a difference?
Try my favorite, Carl's Jr. <G>

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Nope. The screen clearly shows what I say: "McDonald's". There's no confusion about what I'm asking her to find. It can be any retail store, restaurants, any place, she just says "Sorry nothing located".

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The voice recognition must be inconsistent, I have pretty good luck with it. I can say an address or a POI name and it finds it without issue.

I did just install 14.0 to 14.5 and haven't really used it yet, but don't anticipate issues.

The system should have a couple of sentences that the user can read that helps adjust the system to our dialect. I've seen some voice recognition systems do this and it seems to help.

Richard Mississauga

Old Fart
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Nope. The screen clearly shows what I say: "McDonald's". There's no confusion about what I'm asking her to find. It can be any retail store, restaurants, any place, she just says "Sorry nothing located".

She is clearly deeply concerned about your health!

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
The voice recognition must be inconsistent, I have pretty good luck with it. I can say an address or a POI name and it finds it without issue.

I did just install 14.0 to 14.5 and haven't really used it yet, but don't anticipate issues.

The system should have a couple of sentences that the user can read that helps adjust the system to our dialect. I've seen some voice recognition systems do this and it seems to help.

I'd be curious to see how well 14.5 works in your vehicle vs. 14. Looking back, I don't recall having this happen when I had 13.5 loaded. It did suck navigating me via the route I knew was best and fastest but I don't recall her constantly telling me that there we no POI's etc within 50 miles on every search.

Richard Mississauga

Old Fart
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'd be curious to see how well 14.5 works in your vehicle vs. 14. Looking back, I don't recall having this happen when I had 13.5 loaded. It did suck navigating me via the route I knew was best and fastest but I don't recall her constantly telling me that there we no POI's etc within 50 miles on every search.

14.5 in mh '17 G80 - she is dumb as a post

Don88

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
One more item: are you using the rear view mirror button? Or, the steering wheel button? The RVMB has always been working well for me.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
One more item: are you using the rear view mirror button? Or, the steering wheel button? The RVMB has always been working well for me.

I've stated it before. Steering wheel. Mirror buttons only work with Blue link subscription.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I tested today on my 2018 G80 Sport (9.2" touch screen w/ console jog dial) with latest 14.5 versions installed. Pressed voice command button on steering wheel.
1) Navigate to McDonalds - Brought up list of local McDonalds ordered closest to furthest away. Spoke Item 1 and it started navigation to closest McDondalds

2) Navigate to crappy food - No results returned ;)

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've stated it before. Steering wheel. Mirror buttons only work with Blue link subscription.
Steering wheel button cannot even get my contacts right to make a call. Has very poor voice recognition.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
I tested today on my 2018 G80 Sport (9.2" touch screen w/ console jog dial) with latest 14.5 versions installed. Pressed voice command button on steering wheel.
1) Navigate to McDonalds - Brought up list of local McDonalds ordered closest to furthest away. Spoke Item 1 and it started navigation to closest McDondalds

2) Navigate to crappy food - No results returned ;)

I've been using the prompt that the system suggests, meaning I say "Find..." I may try "Navigate to" for shits and giggles next.

bubbaG80Sport

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It is difficult to program/teach a computer to recognize voice, but the technology has improved tremendously over time.

Alexa-Amazon, Apple-Sirius and other products send your voice commands into the "cloud" where there is massive computing power to determine what your are saying. The Navigation system in our vehicles most likely does all of the processing locally, which has far less computing horsepower.

I have found the voice commands in my 2018 G80 Sport (9.2" touch screen) with 14.5 map update to function acceptably.

Recommendations
R1) Remove ambient/background noise (roll-up windows, turn down radio/HVAC system, tell passengers to shut-up).
R2) KISS. Use ...
- "Call Bubba Jones Mobile" versus "Call Bubba on his iphone".
- "Find McDonalds" versus "Find me the closest McDonalds restaurant"
R3) RTFM. Use the voice commands documented in the manual.
R4) Don't pause when speaking. I have a tendency to pause mid sentence when speaking to these systems for some odd reason.
R5) If voice commands doesn't work or does unexpected, cancel and restart voice command.
R6) Speak slowly and clearly like you would patronizingly to a young child.

rroyce46

Hasn't posted much yet...
Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
It is difficult to program/teach a computer to recognize voice, but the technology has improved tremendously over time.

Alexa-Amazon, Apple-Sirius and other products send your voice commands into the "cloud" where there is massive computing power to determine what your are saying. The Navigation system in our vehicles most likely does all of the processing locally, which has far less computing horsepower.

I have found the voice commands in my 2018 G80 Sport (9.2" touch screen) with 14.5 map update to function acceptably.

Recommendations
R1) Remove ambient/background noise (roll-up windows, turn down radio/HVAC system, tell passengers to shut-up).
R2) KISS. Use ...
- "Call Bubba Jones Mobile" versus "Call Bubba on his iphone".
- "Find McDonalds" versus "Find me the closest McDonalds restaurant"
R3) RTFM. Use the voice commands documented in the manual.
R4) Don't pause when speaking. I have a tendency to pause mid sentence when speaking to these systems for some odd reason.
R5) If voice commands doesn't work or does unexpected, cancel and restart voice command.
R6) Speak slowly and clearly like you would patronizingly to a young child.
Great tips but I have done everything you have suggested but
my 2016 Touch Screen is a dumb young child !
Maybe you 2018 is smarter than the 2016.Tech is moving so quickly these days.My wifes 2020 Soul @ $25000 has some more & better tech than my $50000 2016 Genesis does.That said my voice command is an annoyance & really not that big of a deal. It's a great car overall & I will keep it until I can find a low mileage 2018-19 Sport to trade up to.Maybe the 2018 system is an improvement over mine.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums