My 2020 G70 Delivered Yesterday

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Very similar to my situation. I so wanted the Prestige with a 3.3 but opted for the 2019 Dynamic. I hope I won't miss the HUD too much but I suppose I can get one aftermarket. It's been 3+ weeks to wait and I just learned the car will arrive Frida (+ 2 days for dealer prep). Mine is Majorca Blue with black interior. I am heartened to learn that you held out for the 3.3 and hope that I will be equally as content with the power.
You will definitely be glad you waited for a 3.3. I initially drove a 2.0 and really liked it but wound up deciding on a 3.3 and am so very glad that I did. I have Prestige package--and like the HUD a lot--initially it was not a priority. I had thought, though, that the Dynamic and Design editions had the HUD. Of course odds are you know what you ordered and will receive more than I do. :)

2 Days dealer prep sounds a bit over the top--or sounds like they are trying to add a bunch of stuff to it?? I got mine the day it came in--we had a deal that they would add nothing extra to it.

Genesis Newbie

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agree with you that 2 days prep seems odd. As far as I know, nothing is being added. The Dynamic comes with Advanced and Elite features (no HUD, no stitched seats, no 360 degree camera). I will miss not having HUD but as previously noted, I am confident that I can get a decent one aftermarket.

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You will definitely be glad you waited for a 3.3. I initially drove a 2.0 and really liked it but wound up deciding on a 3.3 and am so very glad that I did. I have Prestige package--and like the HUD a lot--initially it was not a priority. I had thought, though, that the Dynamic and Design editions had the HUD. Of course odds are you know what you ordered and will receive more than I do. :)

2 Days dealer prep sounds a bit over the top--or sounds like they are trying to add a bunch of stuff to it?? I got mine the day it came in--we had a deal that they would add nothing extra to it.
Should be a Canadian model because the car is MB and has no HUD. Dynamic Edition in USA is HR and has HUD.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Should be a Canadian model because the car is MB and has no HUD. Dynamic Edition in USA is HR and has HUD.
I wouldn't worry about dealer prep for Canadian model either--overall, the way the Canadian rollout, delivery, ordering, everything is modeled and has gone seems significantly better than in the U.S.

Genesis Newbie

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the replies. Unrelated - anyone have knowledge/experience re aftermarket HUDs?

sparkddd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I would get a lexus just for reliability sake, because I don't really got how not being able to use your car because it breaks down = luxury. But IS is just not very competitive right now. I'm so glad genesis came out with this car. It has everything I want, and there is a good chance that it has better reliability than german brands.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I would get a lexus just for reliability sake, because I don't really got how not being able to use your car because it breaks down = luxury. But IS is just not very competitive right now. I'm so glad genesis came out with this car. It has everything I want, and there is a good chance that it has better reliability than german brands.
Genesis is more reliable than Lexus.

jaymatt

Registered Member
New Jersey
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My experience with Lexus--not very reliable; multiple issues with several cars.
Could you elaborate? Like many, I was considering the Lexus IS and would've purchased one if it wasn't so dated/ancient (among other things). I've only heard good things about Lexus reliability-wise and am curious about such negative experiences.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Could you elaborate? Like many, I was considering the Lexus IS and would've purchased one if it wasn't so dated/ancient (among other things). I've only heard good things about Lexus reliability-wise and am curious about such negative experiences.
Several things.
With the IS, had multiple issues -- airbag recall (which the local dealer said the fixed, but they did not; had to take it in again to replace the airbag--and at that point had to talk to corporate because they said was outside warranty--but only reason outside warranty was because they supposedly fixed it within warranty--but they didn't (can go into greater detail-- if you want) -- once they replaced, had to go back to dealer 3 more times--they forgot to hook up the horn; forgot to hook up the trunk release, etc.; bad airbag on Lexus; rest on dealer); also had leaky oil issue--in several Lexus cars (so it was not just this IS)
WIth an ES had multiple did not start issues; they replaced a battery 3 times on it--saying it was a faulty cell--but three separate batteries with 3 faulty cells seems suspicious; then replace an alternator than on and on--took about 18 months for them to "figure out" -- and in retrospect should have done a lemon law on it; it also had an oil leak issue (very expensive one).
Friend had one that had the sudden acceleratoin issue which Lexus denied existed (or said was the floor mat--but not possible that it was a floor mat).
Had additional issues with local dealer so will never buy from that dealer.
Will not buy another Lexus either.
I had only heard "good" about prior to purchasing--but since then 4 others that I work with who regularly purchased Lexus have had similar bad experiences and decided not to purchase another one.

sparkddd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Don't get IS at current state. I have the turbo version right now. Power is okay although there is some turbo lag, that infotainment is atrocious and cup holder placement is very very uncomfortable. It's really on the last year or two of this generation, and lexus cycle is longer than the others making it extra outdated. Also, gas mileage is pretty bad. I will say that it's trouble free though. 0 problem whatsoever for the past 3 years. I don't really know of anyone that had lots of problems lexus tbh. I have mutiple buddies with rx, nx, rc. None had bad experiences.

sparkddd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Several things.
With the IS, had multiple issues -- airbag recall (which the local dealer said the fixed, but they did not; had to take it in again to replace the airbag--and at that point had to talk to corporate because they said was outside warranty--but only reason outside warranty was because they supposedly fixed it within warranty--but they didn't (can go into greater detail-- if you want) -- once they replaced, had to go back to dealer 3 more times--they forgot to hook up the horn; forgot to hook up the trunk release, etc.; bad airbag on Lexus; rest on dealer); also had leaky oil issue--in several Lexus cars (so it was not just this IS)
WIth an ES had multiple did not start issues; they replaced a battery 3 times on it--saying it was a faulty cell--but three separate batteries with 3 faulty cells seems suspicious; then replace an alternator than on and on--took about 18 months for them to "figure out" -- and in retrospect should have done a lemon law on it; it also had an oil leak issue (very expensive one).
Friend had one that had the sudden acceleratoin issue which Lexus denied existed (or said was the floor mat--but not possible that it was a floor mat).
Had additional issues with local dealer so will never buy from that dealer.
Will not buy another Lexus either.
I had only heard "good" about prior to purchasing--but since then 4 others that I work with who regularly purchased Lexus have had similar bad experiences and decided not to purchase another one.
I'm surprised you had that many bad experience! That definitely makes me want to go for g70 more. Then gv80 when I have a family :)

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm surprised you had that many bad experience! That definitely makes me want to go for g70 more. Then gv80 when I have a family :)
I may have been a target for all things Lexus issues -- but, truly, several people that I work with have had similar issues/experiences. Some are dealer-related--and the local Lexus dealer is not great. Some were car related. Lexus corporate was helpful when I had issues, but I got tired of the issues and tired of the oil leaks.

sparkddd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I may have been a target for all things Lexus issues -- but, truly, several people that I work with have had similar issues/experiences. Some are dealer-related--and the local Lexus dealer is not great. Some were car related. Lexus corporate was helpful when I had issues, but I got tired of the issues and tired of the oil leaks.
Time for me to start contacting genesis dealers :)

FullMoonWolfie

GTA
I may have been a target for all things Lexus issues ...
Which generation of IS do you have? My current 1st gen IS300 is still running well (burning oil a bit though, but hey, for a 16 year old car, not unexpected), won't say more since I do not want to jinx anything :D. My mechanic told me that do not touch the 2nd gen IS because of various issues (I almost bought one before picking up my current 1st gen used). 3rd gen (current gen) IS are fine, however, I read somewhere that stay away from the 3.5L version (don't remember the reason).

sparkddd

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Which generation of IS do you have? My current 1st gen IS300 is still running well (burning oil a bit though, but hey, for a 16 year old car, not unexpected), won't say more since I do not want to jinx anything :D. My mechanic told me that do not touch the 2nd gen IS because of various issues (I almost bought one before picking up my current 1st gen used). 3rd gen (current gen) IS are fine, however, I read somewhere that stay away from the 3.5L version (don't remember the reason).
I'm on the pre facelift 3rd gen. It's the first model turbocharger was introduced to, and that's what I have. That 3.5L is truly tried and tested engine so I'm not sure why. Also lexus used both direct and port injection so the carbon build up shouldn't be an issue. Only thing that worries me about genesis is that hyundai seem to have some problem with their DI engines' lengevity. But that's really it.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
^ W/ the new Smart Stream engines, H/K/G have taken a no. of steps to reduce carbon build-up, including utilizing dual injection.