Oil Consumption in '12 R-Spec

SixFootSix

Registered Member
California
IMO, Oil consumption is not normal for any passenger car or truck with under 100k miles on it. My 2012 5.0 with 51k miles was built Oct-18-2011 and does not burn any oil. Others may state that 2012's are problematic, but that has not been my experience, and I am known to occasionally call on all the horses under the hood. 😀

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
I see mentions of "long block" and "short block" engine replacements, what is the difference?
Dean
A long block is the complete engine including accessories that enable it to start, complete fuel and cooling system attachments etc. The short block is the block and heads only (including valves, cam etc.).

There are trade offs with one vs the other. Installing a long block is usually less labor intensive than a short block although the short block is less expensive than a long block.

technopeasant

Registered Member
PNW
A long block is the complete engine including accessories that enable it to start, complete fuel and cooling system attachments etc. The short block is the block and heads only (including valves, cam etc.).
I'm pretty sure the short block does NOT include the heads. All engine swaps should be done with a long block because the metal is in the oil and spread throughout the engine.

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
I'm pretty sure the short block does NOT include the heads. All engine swaps should be done with a long block because the metal is in the oil and spread throughout the engine.
It would not make sense for the short block not to have the heads and valve assemblies but perhaps Hyundai does things differently. Historically, all short blocks I have ever replaced included the heads and valves. You can buy just the block by itself if you already have good heads and valves but it is not necessarily the best approach with an overhead cam engine.

qstarweb

Registered Member
As of today's oil change they told me it consumed a half quart of oil over the last 4000 miles. They say this is normal and that it would consume a lot more if we were not using the synthetic oil. Is this true, should it be considered normal to consume any oil at all? Will this get worse? The technician said it's only serious if it starts consuming THREE quarts of oil between oil changes, out of 8 quarts it takes, he said. Is this true? Does the oil consumption get worse with more mileage? I'm just over 54,000 now.

Dean

landtuna

Registered Member
Sandstorm, AZ
As of today's oil change they told me it consumed a half quart of oil over the last 4000 miles. They say this is normal and that it would consume a lot more if we were not using the synthetic oil. Is this true, should it be considered normal to consume any oil at all? Will this get worse? The technician said it's only serious if it starts consuming THREE quarts of oil between oil changes, out of 8 quarts it takes, he said. Is this true? Does the oil consumption get worse with more mileage? I'm just over 54,000 now.
Dean
I change oil every 5,000 miles using full synthetic 15-50 as I live in a very hot climate. My '12 5.0 Rspec uses no measurable oil between changes but I suspect 1/2 quart between changes would not be significant. Still, modern engines should not be using oil until well over 100,000 miles assuming they have been well maintained.

qstarweb

Registered Member
Climate is a bit more moderate here so we're using synthetic 5w30 but they are still recommending every 3000 instead of 5000, is that necessary or just making them a few more bucks? Even at that, it seems to be consuming a half quart every 3-4000 miles.

Dean

Last edited:

tcancian

Registered Member
That's really great! What dealer did you use? What was the determination on the consumption rate for your engine? What did they tell you was "normal"? I've been told 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal which again, really? Thanks

qstarweb

Registered Member
That's really great! What dealer did you use? What was the determination on the consumption rate for your engine? What did they tell you was "normal"? I've been told 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal which again, really? Thanks
The dealer in this instance is Friendship Hyundai in Johnson City, Tenn. I suspect that line that "up to one quart per 1000 miles" is "normal" is what they're told to say by the corporate folks. That claim seems common from a lot of dealers in dealing with this oil consumption issue.

Clearly, any amount of consistent oil consumption is NOT normal.

Dean

Registered Member
Climate is a bit more moderate here so we're using synthetic 5w30 but they are still recommending every 3000 instead of 5000, is that necessary or just making them a few more bucks? Even at that, it seems to be consuming a half quart every 3-4000 miles.

Dean

The dealer is just tingling the till. The manual says 7500 miles in normal driving conditions-------------which is what I'm doing with Mobil 1 5w-30. I've also sent samples of the drain oil into Blackstone Labs for analysis after each oil change. The oil is fine and could be run for longer periods of time/mileages.

Registered Member

That's far from normal. That's their cop-out statement. I would escalate. Mine engine doesn't use any oil between 7500 mile changes.

videopho

Registered Member
DFW TX
Anyone know the 2013 Equus has issue with this oil consumption ?
The car was manufactured around midyear of 2012 and shipped to US around Sept of the same year according to Carfax report,

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
No. The issue was with the 5.0 engines made in '11 for the 12 model year IIRC.

Steviek1

Hasn't posted much yet...
DC area
I own a '12 R-Spec AND a '12 Equus...identical engines...I performed a dealer monitored oil consumption test for 3-5000 miles on the Equus...The dealer/Hyundai claim that LOSING ONE QUART OF OIL EVERY 1600 MILES IS WITHIN MANUFACTURER SPECS/LIMITS. I'm taking my R-Spec in today to begin oil consumption test and have Gear #2 checked for sticking/slipping. Has anybody had success with getting a new engine and/or a new transmission and what were your oil consumption numbers?? It's absurd to add 2-3 quarts of oil every 2000 miles on a $60k luxury car that uses synthetic oil! I need some feedback here please....love these cars but fear the long term isn't looking pretty with the 5.0 engine....I even have doubts about a replacement engine at this point----reassurance needed please...how to escalate my engine scenario when factory guidelines are what they are?? Thank you

Tylerlfraser

I have just been approved to have my short block replace in my 12 r-spec, I'm from canada and at 81000 km my tranny started to slip and bang into gear, brought it to the dealer and the first time they took it for a test drive and the mechanic was not gone 5 min then filed a claim with Hyundai, I got a call back next day that my tranny was going to be replaced, at the same time I had a oil change done and they noticed I was down oil, then they started a oil consumption test and was told the car needed to lose 1 litre every 750km before Hyundai recognizes that it is a problem, 5 days passed got a call tranny was in and drop off the car, we checked the oil and was down 1 litre after 350 KM, got the car back a week later, drove the car 5000km and the car was topped up 6 times and lost a total of 6.75 litres of oil in 5000 Km, dealer contacted Hyundai to make a claim and I got the run around for different tests till 94000km and 5 months, not the happiest camper at this point and Hyundai and the dealership passing the buck, then got a phone call from the dealer at 96000 KM telling me that the claim was denied due to the fact that they did not have record of a oil change between 70000 and 80000 KMs, ( I bought the car at 74000KM ) from a different dealer then where it gets serviced, and had to get written proof from the dealer that they performed the oil change, submitted to the dealer and at 99678 KM, they called me telling me that the claim was now approved, biggest thing getting it approved make sure you have all records of oil changes and make sure they used Hyundai oil filters, sounds crazy and I'm thinking that my dealer did not want to honour the issue but end of the day it is being looked after.

Steviek1

DC area
Thank you for your replies about the oil consumption.....I was told that 1600 miles per quart used is WITHIN HYUNDAI SPECS and that was the end of the discussion....How do I press the issues? Have another consumption test done? This is pure B.S. and they know it....these engines should not use oil like this.....thanks for the responses.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thank you for your replies about the oil consumption.....I was told that 1600 miles per quart used is WITHIN HYUNDAI SPECS and that was the end of the discussion....How do I press the issues? Have another consumption test done? This is pure B.S. and they know it....these engines should not use oil like this.....thanks for the responses.
Who told you? if it was a dealer, try another dealer or contact Hyundai Motor America and open a case.

If HMA told you that, you may need to seek legal recourse or arbitration.