Oil Consumption in '12 R-Spec

Yoda_guy

Hasn't posted much yet...
For all the guys having issues with oil consumption I have a few words of advice. Take them however you want. Odometers don't rack up miles with the engine idling in park. Certain situations accelerate oil usage due to blowby such as high rpm during engine braking. Things like coasting down from redline in 1st gear.

Yoda_guy

Also on a side note. Toyota has been replacing Pistons and rings on cars well outside of warranty because of oil consumption. Their threshold is a quart in 1350 miles or less but if it's a little less than a quart used in that time they'll usually work with you. These at not high dollar luxo cars but pos 10 year old Camry's. Toyota does this because their reputation of reliability and customer satisfaction is very important to them. Food for thought.

kaaos

midwest
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Some information for you, The nissan v8 engines are the same way, it got better in the second iteration vk56de 5.6 titan though. It seems the culprits were a mix of cheaper ring manufacturer and excess back pressure from the emissions system. I have a 2003 m45 with the vk45de, my first engine burned about a 3/4 quart every 1000 miles.
Second engine I replaced myself ( It died because the day i switched to amsoil i found a metric ton of metal shavings in the oil, Most likely the rod bearing). I didn't really give the second 90k engine a chance it burned some initially but gutted the pre catalytic converters and ran amsoil and beat the living snot out of it. I also upgraded the cooling system and deleting my second rear thermostat.
Now it burns exactly 0 quarts of oil ever 4-5k.
eventually I will replace the pair of main cats with some higher flow quality units.
That seems to be a demise for the new generation high flowing v8s
I'm still on the fence about purchasing a Genesis, Knowing I would have to do the same to it.

edit, Also the nissans of my years also had known cheap catalytic converter issues where they would melt or disintegrate and platinum dust would flow back into the cylinders and cause oil burning issues. Wonder how many other low tier catalytic converters to the cheapest bidder were used in these oem applications.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Yea, make sure you get required 7 qt oil/(filter) change, then measure. Think problem was 5.0s manufactured before Nov 2011. Dealers supposedly to contact Hdqs and see if they would authorize replacement or rebuilt engine. Don't think good on non original owner resales since 100K warranty would not apply. If you are only burning 1 qt per 4K , and have mileage, so what. Oil is cheap. Some manufacturers say 1qt per 1k is ok( Jaguars/BMWs).

flblue1968

Hi, I don't want to be rude but can anybody give a quick summary to save me reading the previous 38 pages.

I'd like to purchase a Genesis 5.0 R Spec or maybe an Equus. They both seem a ton of car for the price point. My budget puts me looking at the 2011/12/13 years.

Obviously I will be buying one with decent mileage on it so I don't want to be buying potential immediate trouble.

Is there a certain month on the VINs or a serial number on the VINs on the 2012s to look for that makes them safe from these issues?

Is it a simple case of looking for 2013 and newer and you are completely safe from this issue? Are all the 2013s and newer safe and clear from this oil issue on both models?

Or should I just stick my trusty 08 Toyota Avalon Limited with 112k miles on it? :)

12Rspec50

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi, I don't want to be rude but can anybody give a quick summary to save me reading the previous 38 pages.

I'd like to purchase a Genesis 5.0 R Spec or maybe an Equus. They both seem a ton of car for the price point. My budget puts me looking at the 2011/12/13 years.

Obviously I will be buying one with decent mileage on it so I don't want to be buying potential immediate trouble.

Is there a certain month on the VINs or a serial number on the VINs on the 2012s to look for that makes them safe from these issues?

Is it a simple case of looking for 2013 and newer and you are completely safe from this issue? Are all the 2013s and newer safe and clear from this oil issue on both models?

Or should I just stick my trusty 08 Toyota Avalon Limited with 112k miles on it? :)

Buy a late 2012 build (4/12) or a 2013+ and you will be clear.