Oil Consumption in '12 R-Spec

chosonnom0

Registered Member
Make sure when they do the oil consumption test you get the work order in paper. And how much oil they added per each test.

Its all legal document and you should keep them safe. you can use them later to show they did not uphold their end of warranty. You have legal rights for them to fix the vehicle to specs.

They dont have any specs that specify that much oil being burned is normal. If they do I want to see it.

Call hyundai main line and ask them to fix the vehicle or tell them to take the vehicle back and give your money back. Basically to acknowledge that its a defective car. Hence lemon.

They have to either fix it or file the car as lemon.

I own a '12 R-Spec AND a '12 Equus...identical engines...I performed a dealer monitored oil consumption test for 3-5000 miles on the Equus...The dealer/Hyundai claim that LOSING ONE QUART OF OIL EVERY 1600 MILES IS WITHIN MANUFACTURER SPECS/LIMITS. I'm taking my R-Spec in today to begin oil consumption test and have Gear #2 checked for sticking/slipping. Has anybody had success with getting a new engine and/or a new transmission and what were your oil consumption numbers?? It's absurd to add 2-3 quarts of oil every 2000 miles on a $60k luxury car that uses synthetic oil! I need some feedback here please....love these cars but fear the long term isn't looking pretty with the 5.0 engine....I even have doubts about a replacement engine at this point----reassurance needed please...how to escalate my engine scenario when factory guidelines are what they are?? Thank you

Steviek1

Hasn't posted much yet...
DC area
HMA told the dealer that and I called the 800 number and they told me that I don't have any recourse when the test falls "within specs" like they said.....I will just try another dealer and see if they 'll take it further....thanks.

tcancian

Registered Member
I've been at this for the better part of a year now. Had a bad experience with the first dealer so tried a second dealer. Had a synthetic oil change done and proceeded with the 2nd oil consumption test which wrapped up a month ago. The dealer provided results to Hyundai NA and I was supposed to get a call from them to discuss. I had to track them down, again. Finally had the conversation with the case manager. As I've come to expect from Hyundai, I was told that my oil consumption falls into what is considered "normal" by Hyundai. Hyundai's definition of "normal" oil consumption is "up to" 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. Yes. It's true. I would have to burn more that 7.5 quarts of oil over the course of a synthetic oil change interval to get any attention from Hyundai. That is just insane. Fact is, the way they do the test undermines the actual consumption. They want to check the oil then top it off each 1000 miles. If I were to let it go over 7500 miles the engine would begin to consume more oil as the level decreased and ultimately destroy itself before I reached the 7500 mile mark. This company is turning a blind eye to a known "major" issue and that is simply unacceptable. Hyundai has been dishonest and unethical in their handling of mine and plenty of others. The tact is to run the customer around until they finally just give up. I'm enlisting the help of a lemon law attorney and we'll see what happens. Back to Lexus.

tcancian

Registered Member
HMA told the dealer that and I called the 800 number and they told me that I don't have any recourse when the test falls "within specs" like they said.....I will just try another dealer and see if they 'll take it further....thanks.
The dealer won't take anything further. They both play the same game. They go through the motions and then tell you that your "NEW" car is fine burning up to 1.75 gallons of oil between oil changes. The bottom line here is that you've got to get your complaint on the Hyundai "public" Facebook page. Be graphic about your experience and frustration. Twitter too if you have one. Any other major social media outlet. Make noise & lots of it. Also file a complaint with the Department of Consumer Affairs in your state. Don't let up. Their handling of this issue with their high end automobiles (supposedly) is completely disgraceful. If you have to, park a lawn chair at the nearest dealer and hand out fliers informing prospective buyers that they run the risk of falling victim to this ludicrous policy. They'll love that!

For Hyundai to stonewall a customer with the party line statement that there's a "policy" in place that tags 7.5 quarts of oil consumption over a 7500 mile synthetic oil change interval as "NORMAL" is criminal. The EPA would also like to have a discussion with them about this. Why have catalytic converters after all??

Finally, I've repeatedly requested documentation on this "so called" policy and nobody will provide it or point me to where that most interesting fact might published in writing. Of course that's because it doesn't exist.

Rpero

I have a 2012 Equus with 48K miles on the 5.0L...It burns 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, confirmed by the Dealer. The dealership feels Hyundai will do nothing about it. I have been regretfully surprised at the disconnect between Hyundai dealerships and the manufacturer. I love driving the Hyundai but the Quality of product and service is just not there...For the prices we are paying, we have to accept it I guess. This is likely my last Hyundai purchase.

tcancian

Registered Member
I couldn't agree more on your assessment on the disconnect although I feel as though it's more of a calculated effort by Hyundai to play dumb and simply tire out the customer to the point they quit trying. File a claim with your state's Dept. of Consumer Affairs. Contact both the state and federal EPA. They have an excessive oil consumption person somewhere in the system that may help you push this. That's a lotta pollution!

Post your sentiments on their FB page as well. I did and they quickly requested a private Messenger session. They told me they'd have somebody in touch from corporate. They followed up with another message telling me that a "case manager" would be reaching out shortly. I proceeded to tell them that I didn't need another meaningless conversation with another case manager just to have them tell me the same thing over again. Just like the scripted response we get with offshore call centers. Subsequently they responded telling me that they've notified their regional consumer affairs office and that I'd be getting a call. They've apparently received my claim from the State Attorney General in the meantime and are now responding to that claim in writing. I'll keep you all posted...

tcancian

Registered Member

Here's a link to a Consumer Reports article on the subject.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

Here's an excerpt from that article on excessive oil consumption....

How much is too much?
Audi, BMW, and Subaru stick firmly to the statement that oil consumption is a normal part of a car’s operation. Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable.

If a driver has to add a quart of oil once per month, that can mean adding up to 7 to 9 quarts of oil between oil changes. Those costs due to excessive oil consumption can add up because automakers more frequently require synthetic oils that can cost upwards of $9 per quart—in addition to the expense of the routine oil changes.

Consumer Reports data does not show a direct connection between increased oil consumption and other engine problems. But our survey data concerning 10 model years shows that if a car burns oil early in its life, it will burn even more as it ages. In tracking oil consumption by model year, engine families show increased consumption with each successive year on the road.

Having to add oil isn’t a problem that will necessarily strand you by the side of the road if you are vigilant about monitoring your oil levels. But we think it’s a serious problem that automakers should address.

Not all engines suffer from this problem. In fact, our data shows that owners of 98 percent of 2010 to 2014 cars did not have to add oil between changes. But the cars that do burn oil do so furiously. Even if only 2 percent of vehicles sold since 2010 have this problem, that still represents about 1.5 million vehicles on the road.

Consumer Reports believes that any engine that burns oil between changes should be repaired under the powertrain warranty. But automakers often shield themselves in the fine print of their owners’ manuals.

Steviek1

DC area
Thanks for that reply. I am trying to get the car into the dealer (with all the Elantra engine issues it's been impossible to get a loaner car!) The car was purchased as a Certified Used Vehicle from Hyundai so I guess the lemon law thing doesn't apply, but I'll still fight like hell once the oil consumption test is complete on the Genesis, thanks

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
I've owned three Genesis V8s and now a 14 Equus V8. The first two Genesis were 4.6s with manifold injection; and did not use material amounts of oil - like a qt every 8000. The '12 Rspec did use oil at more than 1800mi per qt. It is a direct injection motor, which may have some inherent oil usage problems. I felt that most of usage was through "blow-by" past the piston rings. To confirm this I removed the throttle body from the intake manifold to find almost a cup of oil in the intake manifold. Rigged up a "catch can" system, which helped. I traded the car before I could do definitive before/after testing.
I think the problem has been addressed in later 5.0 motors as my '14 Equus' consumption is about 5000mi/qt.
My own experience with Hyundai warranty has been very good, but I never submitted an oil consumption issue. My observation is that most manufacturers, if not all, have a warranty action-level response to oil consumption only when consumption is substantially less than 1000mi./qt. In the last 30 years mfgs have made motors that are really "oil tight" and consumers are used to not adding any oil between changes. However, the introduction of direct fuel injection has produced some issues with oil consumption. My guess is that Hyundai will stand firm on denying warranty coverage, so you may have to "live with it" until and if consumption reaches "action levels", if ever. You can rig up a do-it-yourself catch can system for less than $100. The technology is almost primitive. Summit Racing and Jegs offer catch cans.

Youseethefight

Registered Member
jalopnik destroys the genesis for oil consumption. guys this may help you with your case if you are still dealing with oil consumption issues. I hope this helps any way.

Steviek1

DC area
This is awesome information. Do you think there are enough owners out there to organize a legal battle, or retain an attorney....i think there have to be experts out there who could help....i own both the 2012 RSpec and the 2012 Equus.....love both cars except for the oil issues on both....i will look into this from a legal perspective if anyone else is interested? I live in Maryland...thanks.

jalopnik destroys the genesis for oil consumption. guys this may help you with your case if you are still dealing with oil consumption issues. I hope this helps any way.

kcgr

Registered Member
I couldn't agree more on your assessment on the disconnect although I feel as though it's more of a calculated effort by Hyundai to play dumb and simply tire out the customer to the point they quit trying. File a claim with your state's Dept. of Consumer Affairs. Contact both the state and federal EPA. They have an excessive oil consumption person somewhere in the system that may help you push this. That's a lotta pollution!

Post your sentiments on their FB page as well. I did and they quickly requested a private Messenger session. They told me they'd have somebody in touch from corporate. They followed up with another message telling me that a "case manager" would be reaching out shortly. I proceeded to tell them that I didn't need another meaningless conversation with another case manager just to have them tell me the same thing over again. Just like the scripted response we get with offshore call centers. Subsequently they responded telling me that they've notified their regional consumer affairs office and that I'd be getting a call. They've apparently received my claim from the State Attorney General in the meantime and are now responding to that claim in writing. I'll keep you all posted...
any update? I'm consuming oil also, but "within spec" :rolleyes:

Steviek1

DC area
Tcancian, I hope you get a response from your atty genl office.....

I read and then reread Tyler Hoover's article about the oil consumption on the R-Spec.....there were multiple references to German manufacturers that held the same 1qt to 1000 miles standard that Hyundai uses. I believe that the R-Spec uses between 8-9 quarts of oil for each oil change....If I have to add 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles (let's just say for an example) and I go the factory recommended interval of 7500 miles with synthetic oil that's 7.5 quarts of oil that need to be added between oil changes?? Does that even make sense? It's like my brother-in-law who used to take a 5-gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid with him to the job site because he had a backhoe that leaked hydraulic fluid and in one day he'd use all 5 gallons to keep it running...Is that what Hyundai expects us to do on our $40-$70k vehicles (Genesis/Equus)? I own TWO of these engines and I feel sick to my stomach knowing the headaches I'm going to have to deal with both through Hyundai and dealing with some of these incompetent dealers who may or may not do anything. I'll give them a chance to fix these cars but I'm also curious to hear if there is a legal route to take. Seems to me that "EPA Pollution" angle is a good one especially in this day and age of GREEN THIS and GREEN THAT! Thanks for the support, let's keep this discussion going. I like one bloggers comment about switching over to a Tesla! Seems like not such a bad way to go if you can afford it :D

kcgr

Registered Member
Well I just started my third test. I had them register the reading from the last oil change to get it going. I appear to be just under 1/2 qt per 1000 miles. I know it'll get worse and the dealer wants to help, it is just that their hands are tied by Hyundai. I'm going to keep doing the test and show a trend of ultimately hitting 1qt per 1000. I'm only at around 42K miles.

dhall57

Getting familiar with the group...
I'm a new member here and not a Genesis owner yet. I signed up here to fined out from current owners the good and bad about these cars before pulling the trigger and bringing one home and I'm glad I did. Looks like its a toss of a coin on the 2012 5.0 R Spec or non R Spec your might get a good one or you might get one that loves to drink oil. That might explain why you see many of these listed for for sale and many with low mileage. Don't want to take a chance so I'll play it safe and stay away from these. This thread has good info and without it might of made a mistake and purchased one of these. Thanks!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.