• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Pics of my G70

SirFrederick

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Interesting. Can you describe some more the differences between SH-AWD and the Genesis AWD?
The TLX system will send more power to the outside rear wheel only when turning, so it probably has a little advantage there over the G70. The TLX has a graphic on the dash that showed how much power went to each individual wheel which was pretty cool. Going around corners or a looped merge onto the freeway you could feel and see the benefits of the SH-AWD as long as you were accelerating. I guess you could say for winter driving the TLX would theoretically be more ideal but not by much. Having said that the G70 is wider, has a longer wheel base and lower centre of gravity so it handles pretty well. I’ve been driving in eco mode pretty much 100% of the time in winter. I can accelerate as much as I did with the TLX in the same situations and it feels like I'm planted just as well as the TLX. Take the traction control off and put it in sport mode and you would be swinging out the tail more for sure. I think Audi's quattro system can send more power to individual wheels as well similar to the SH-AWD system. Maybe some Audi owner can chime in on that. I'm not sure.

After taking those pics I was in an open area with lots of snow. I tested out sucking a few donuts in sport mode/traction off compared to eco/traction on. It was much easier to do in sport mode. In eco you could feel the front wheels engaging and the traction control preventing the slipping. You can clearly feel the difference in the power dispersion between the two modes.

The G70 is great in winter. To anyone wondering you won’t have any issues with it unless you are driving like a raging bull at every opportunity. I’ve never owned a RWD vehicle. The G70 is the closest to a RWD that I’ve owned and I quite like it so far. With the different drive modes you kind of get the best of both worlds. The overall driving experience of the G70 is on a different wavelength though compared to the TLX. It's way more engaging and rewarding. I look forward to driving to work and back home everyday. It definitely puts a smile on my face.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
AWD G70 has been great in some terrible conditions out west here the last couple days. Only the slightest loss of traction in a cloverleaf that was covered in ice and snow and it was 100% controllable. Later I even tried to force it to get loose and push a bit but it was like nope, enjoy your traction. ;-)

Slides

Hasn't posted much yet...
NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The TLX system will send more power to the outside rear wheel only when turning, so it probably has a little advantage there over the G70. The TLX has a graphic on the dash that showed how much power went to each individual wheel which was pretty cool. Going around corners or a looped merge onto the freeway you could feel and see the benefits of the SH-AWD as long as you were accelerating. I guess you could say for winter driving the TLX would theoretically be more ideal but not by much. Having said that the G70 is wider, has a longer wheel base and lower centre of gravity so it handles pretty well. I’ve been driving in eco mode pretty much 100% of the time in winter. I can accelerate as much as I did with the TLX in the same situations and it feels like I'm planted just as well as the TLX. Take the traction control off and put it in sport mode and you would be swinging out the tail more for sure. I think Audi's quattro system can send more power to individual wheels as well similar to the SH-AWD system. Maybe some Audi owner can chime in on that. I'm not sure.

After taking those pics I was in an open area with lots of snow. I tested out sucking a few donuts in sport mode/traction off compared to eco/traction on. It was much easier to do in sport mode. In eco you could feel the front wheels engaging and the traction control preventing the slipping. You can clearly feel the difference in the power dispersion between the two modes.

The G70 is great in winter. To anyone wondering you won’t have any issues with it unless you are driving like a raging bull at every opportunity. I’ve never owned a RWD vehicle. The G70 is the closest to a RWD that I’ve owned and I quite like it so far. With the different drive modes you kind of get the best of both worlds. The overall driving experience of the G70 is on a different wavelength though compared to the TLX. It's way more engaging and rewarding. I look forward to driving to work and back home everyday. It definitely puts a smile on my face.
Great description. I own an Audi S5 and Quattro acts the same way as SH-AWD, but ONLY if you get a car with the sports rear differential (which I have).

I was a little concerned that if I move to the G70, I would miss that rear differential torque vectoring, but it seems like I really won't.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Great description. I own an Audi S5 and Quattro acts the same way as SH-AWD, but ONLY if you get a car with the sports rear differential (which I have).

I was a little concerned that if I move to the G70, I would miss that rear differential torque vectoring, but it seems like I really won't.
You will cause nothing else feels like SH-AWD or other variants of a proper Active Rear Differential torque vectoring. Btw it feels more sublime on the Evo X once you get past all the rattles and jarring your body goes through when driving it!
But what you get in return is a more balanced car with 50/50 weight distribution. Neither the Audi nor the Acura is that. Which means they understeer and plough forward all the time when when not on power.
I miss my TL when going through corners fast, but I love the way the G70 is so communicative in chassis and steering that you are more confident in every and all situations!

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You will cause nothing else feels like SH-AWD or other variants of a proper Active Rear Differential torque vectoring. Btw it feels more sublime on the Evo X once you get past all the rattles and jarring your body goes through when driving it!
But what you get in return is a more balanced car with 50/50 weight distribution. Neither the Audi nor the Acura is that. Which means they understeer and plough forward all the time when when not on power.
I miss my TL when going through corners fast, but I love the way the G70 is so communicative in chassis and steering that you are more confident in every and all situations!
Good summary. While the G70 is extremely playful thanks for the mechanical LSD, it simply can't match a car with a true torque-vectoring differential in the ability to power the outside wheel and "push" the car through a corner, at least in terms of the feel. That said, on balance, the G70 will feel a good deal more athletic in overall handling balance due to the way it's built and calibrated. The car's behaviour in transition is particularly impressive.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good summary. While the G70 is extremely playful thanks for the mechanical LSD, it simply can't match a car with a true torque-vectoring differential in the ability to power the outside wheel and "push" the car through a corner, at least in terms of the feel. That said, on balance, the G70 will feel a good deal more athletic in overall handling balance due to the way it's built and calibrated. The car's behaviour in transition is particularly impressive.
Any idea if there are is any aluminum used on the G70 body panels at all?
Hood, roof, or trunk?
I know they use a lot of Advanced High Strength Steel but the G70 is quite a heavyweight for its size!
Should be closer to 3,500 - 3,600lbs.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ Parent Hyundai is major co in steel...so probably not. Perhaps some? But they should. Hyundai is so self sufficient it’s nuts. They even own their transport ships.

Part of where the savings come from.

Last edited:

danygenesis

Registered Member
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Any idea if there are is any aluminum used on the G70 body panels at all?
Hood, roof, or trunk?
I know they use a lot of Advanced High Strength Steel but the G70 is quite a heavyweight for its size!
Should be closer to 3,500 - 3,600lbs.
All panels but the hood attract magnet what makes me think that probably the hood is aluminum.

Last edited:

Slides

NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I get what you're saying but I feel the torque vectoring rear differential is somewhat overhyped. A lot of good sporty cars just have brake torque vectoring and they feel fine and are fun (like the G70 I imagine). My main car is an Audi S5 and I love that rear torque pushing me around corners when I push on the gas, but the car understeers a little when not on the gas. It's still front heavy.

I would take a car with a better weight distribution. That seems to work well for sports cars that only have brake torque vectoring and good weight balance. Audi's sports rear differential is nice, but I don't think it's necessary if you have other aspects of your car that are better aligned for handling.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I get what you're saying but I feel the torque vectoring rear differential is somewhat overhyped. A lot of good sporty cars just have brake torque vectoring and they feel fine and are fun (like the G70 I imagine). My main car is an Audi S5 and I love that rear torque pushing me around corners when I push on the gas, but the car understeers a little when not on the gas. It's still front heavy.

I would take a car with a better weight distribution. That seems to work well for sports cars that only have brake torque vectoring and good weight balance. Audi's sports rear differential is nice, but I don't think it's necessary if you have other aspects of your car that are better aligned for handling.
Which was exactly what I was saying. On the Audi and Acura, you only feel it while on power on turns. If more cars with close to 50/50 had it, there's no question on which is better.
Brake based torque vectoring basically drags one wheel around the corner. So while you may be able corner a little tighter.
Active torque vectoring doesn't use brakes but overdrives the outer wheel so you can corner tighter and exit faster.
I had a Mitsubishi Outlander XLS/GT which had the AFD (Active Front Differential) basically does torque vectoring in the front like the NSX and it was way better in the winter than my TL SH-AWD in winter. But the canyon carving and fun factor was bigger on the Acura!

Slides

NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Which was exactly what I was saying. On the Audi and Acura, you only feel it while on power on turns. If more cars with close to 50/50 had it, there's no question on which is better.
Brake based torque vectoring basically drags one wheel around the corner. So while you may be able corner a little tighter.
Active torque vectoring doesn't use brakes but overdrives the outer wheel so you can corner tighter and exit faster.
I had a Mitsubishi Outlander XLS/GT which had the AFD (Active Front Differential) basically does torque vectoring in the front like the NSX and it was way better in the winter than my TL SH-AWD in winter. But the canyon carving and fun factor was bigger on the Acura!
I get that but there are supercars out there that "only" have brake torque vectoring and they don't seem to suffer any handling issues. I'm not convinced that more cars should even have this feature.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I get that but there are supercars out there that "only" have brake torque vectoring and they don't seem to suffer any handling issues. I'm not convinced that more cars should even have this feature.
Won't help with light purpose built cars as much. But it will definitely help with heavier front engine cars and GT cars.