Rigid Collars installation

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
I might have seen you the other day at that intersection. I was sitting a couple back and saw a black Genesis heading up Sandy Ridge. Next time I'll expect you to let me out! :D
I'll try to remember. ;) Although with my luck the 7 guys behind you will try to follow you out!

I remembered one other place I noticed a definite difference with the collars. If you are familiar with North Bunker Hill road, between County Line and Colfax, where Beeson splits off, there's a dip on Beeson down into a valley, and a sharp curve across a older bridge in the middle of the curve at the bottom of the valley. Especially heading south towards Colfax, at a rapid clip, of course! ;) Before the collars, as your crossed the bridge rounding the curve, the Genesis would tend to want to walk halfway over into the oncoming lane, not being the smoothest curve in the world. After the collars, it stayed much more planted in the lane it was supposed to stay in, without having to correct it back into the proper lane as much. And at probably a higher speed, to boot.

R-Spectable

Registered Member
NC
I live in Davie County and usually take 311 to 40 South through Winston. There's a couple of curves that I take where I get that "walking" feeling especially that curve on 311 that takes you onto 40. That will be the sucker that I'll be paying attention to after the install.

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
I live in Davie County and usually take 311 to 40 South through Winston. There's a couple of curves that I take where I get that "walking" feeling especially that curve on 311 that takes you onto 40. That will be the sucker that I'll be paying attention to after the install.
You mean the two-lane curve that goes to one lane just before you merge onto 40? The curve where the slower traffic is always in the left lane, and you are trying to get around them on the right before it merges down to one lane? Wouldn’t know anything about it... :cool:

R-Spectable

Registered Member
NC
You mean the two-lane curve that goes to one lane just before you merge onto 40? The curve where the slower traffic is always in the left lane, and you are trying to get around them on the right before it merges down to one lane? Wouldn’t know anything about it... :cool:

MathWiz

Registered Member
San Diego, Ca
Thank You FlynBlind for the excellent write up

I have taken the first post and created a PDF that is easier to print out.

I hope this helps, I purchased mine on Tuesday waiting to receive them, I will print this out and give it to the installer.

Charles

Rloyola0426

Registered Member
Chino, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Has anybody installed these on a 2015 2G or have any knowledge on them being compatible? I want to install them but need to know they fit and are the right type/amount before I pull the trigger.

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
I can confirm that any Hyundai Genesis rigid collar kit will fit a 2012 RSpec, a 2013 3.8 V6 and a 2014 Equus.
My sense is that Hyundai uses the same bolt diameter to mount subframes on every Genesis, which means that a collar kit will fit every Genesis.

R-Spectable

Registered Member
NC
After 40k miles it was time to retire the trusty OEM Continentals for a set of BFG G-Force Comp 2/A A/S tires.
Along with the mounting and balancing, The rigid collar kit that I've been holding onto was finally installed and topped off with a 4 wheel alignment.
This car is a totally different animal now, nice, tight and quieter with the new rubber!
With the old setup, I was definitely noticing that the steering was being punished by uneven road surfaces. Now it's straight as an arrow and a real treat to drive, even on the cruddy patch-job roads we have around here.
As these tires are in the break-in stage, I haven't really cracked the whip yet. But I'm looking forward to it. Plus, there will be heavy rain in the next couple of days, so I'll be checking that out as well.
I can't leave out a salutation to the Contis for holding up as well as they did until now.
If you've been on the fence regarding the rigid collars, then, jump over the damn thing and getcha some! I'm thoroughly happy with the results!

I almost forgot to thank flynblind again for his excellent tutorial! Thanks!!

Last edited:

Joe29365

Hasn't posted much yet...
Columbus, OH
Hey guys, just purchased an '11 4.6L with 24K miles. It replaces my '11 Sonata 2.4L. Love the car but do want to tighten up the driving feel. Thanks for this post. Looks like a rather easy improvement I can make. Would also like to be able to totally disable the traction control when I feel like it, improve the shocks/struts and springs, see if I can have the steering programmed to R-Spec program, exhaust, frame bracing, etc... Guessing I can find some of the answers on this forum.
This is the link I found for the collars: Rigid Collars Kit For 2009-2014 Genesis Sedan - Genesis Owners

swbruno

Hasn't posted much yet...
I'm looking for a mechanic in the DFW area that can do this installation. I've had these collars for about 6 months and just don't have the time or means to do it myself. Any suggestions?

Sluh

Registered Member
I'm still not completely convinced to order.
Could it be that just retorquing subframe bolts would do the same thing? Fine thread bolts used there should put tremendous clamping pressure to eliminate any possible movements between subframe and body.

Sluh

Registered Member
Pulled the trigger though. I think main benefit comes from a better subframe to the body alignment that will make wheel alignment better in theory by symmetrizing camber and caster angles, if the body is straight. My used genny have been trhrough several alignments at the dealer according to carfax, and I can feel why. It doesn't roll right still. Will see if it helps.

I thought about just turning bolt spacers without any shoulders on the lathe from steel, but decided it will take more of my time than unique collars worth. I will take pictures, how well subframe holes were aligned to the mounting holes on the body from the start.

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
I'm still not completely convinced to order.
Could it be that just retorquing subframe bolts would do the same thing? Fine thread bolts used there should put tremendous clamping pressure to eliminate any possible movements between subframe and body.
I did, and don't regret it. It's not like this is an expensive modification with bad side effects!

Sluh

Registered Member
Doing them right now. For those, who interested, torque spec for front subframe bolts is 137.3 ~ 156.9Nm (14.0 ~ 16.0kgf.m, 101.3 ~ 115.7lb-ft).
Could not find specs for the rear subframe in the manual, but I'm sure it's the same.

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.