Rigid Collars installation

Sluh

Registered Member
Here is a good example why _this_ collars could be theoretically beneficial. There was quite a misalignment on some holes between the body and the subframe. That will most likely lead to slightly asymmetrical caster/camber. Collars will in theory align them, which is good. Still, I don't see any possible "structural" stiffening coming from them, as they do not reach deep enough in the subframe holes and shoulder does not go in between the body and the subframe. And the torque on this bolts would not allow any body-subframe movements without any collars anyway.
Or we install them the wrong way and the shoulder should go in between.

Would I make them myself for this alignment purpose - they would be just steel or stainless sleeves without any shoulders, that are long enough to reach almost all the way through the subframe in order to register it at the bolt tip, not the head.

Attachments

Sluh

Registered Member
To my surprise, drove it around for a day and I can feel the effect. As reported by others, the car is more "put together" now when going over bumps. Haven't done the alignment yet, will replace my tires with more comfortable ones today and will go to the reputable alignment shop next week.
While installing the collars, I would say that original factory bolts resistance felt noticeably less when I was breaking them loose with a small breaker bar, than the book torque I tightened them to with a comparable length torque wrench.

Genesis is a pain to put on jack stands though. Sits so low. I had to drive the front onto the ramps, undo the splash shields under the engine, then use the jack under the subframe to raise the front, remove ramps, put jack stands under factory jacking points, lower on stands. The rear was even worse, when I was done with the front subframe I backed on ramps with rear wheels, but there is no safe center jacking point under the rear. Had to lift under rear diff, which is not very good idea, because of risks of breaking diff mounting points. When I lifted the rear, the car started rolling forward, because I'm so used to front wheel drive and did not choke front wheels and here neither parking brake nor transmission in park doesn't lock front wheels. was quite scary when it started rolling down my slightly sloped driveway on a roll-under jack :) All and all, I finally got the rear on jack stands and finished the job.

Makes me thinking again about getting a used two post lift on craigslist and ductless AC for my garage to tinker with my cars in comfort.

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
Haven't done the alignment yet, will replace my tires with more comfortable ones today and will go to the reputable alignment shop next week.
I wouldn't wait that long to get the alignment done. Messing around with the subframes puts the alignment *way* out of whack!! If you are putting new tires on today, I'd get the alignment done *today*!!

Sluh

Registered Member
I think different. There is no big deal to drive few hundred miles before the alignment. What bad would happen? Losing 0.01" of the thread in worst case scenario, I will survive. You probably read the nav maps warning all the way before pushing the dis knob. :)
I have my own schedule that matters more and would better wait for a reputable racing focused shop to do the alignment other than letting monkey with a wrench around the corner to screw up the ride with me coming back and them never getting it right. Got burned number of times on that.

ssiperko

Registered Member
IL
I apologize in advance for beating what may be a dead horse, but I still have some questions about rigid collars.

1. Will these (or the installation thereof) void either of my warranties (60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper CPO and 10/100k powertrain warranty)? Can't comment as the MFG has final say.

2. Can I expect any improvement in handling and cornering? I live in N. HeILLinois so we don't have many corners BUT they I have are fairly fast and flowing (with some "round abouts") .... had mine installed today with some Conti 245/45/19 Extreme Contact DWS06 an a 4 wheel alignment and will say yes in my (so far) 35 mile drive on familiar and noted roadways for the purpose I KNEW I was doing this.

3. Will these eliminate the "bump-steer" that plagues the r-spec? I say yes .... see above limited drive impressions.

4. Will I notice a difference in steering feel? If so, what will it be like? I did not until bump steer was encountered at which point I did in a positive manner.

5. Are these something I can install without a lift/hoist? Or is it something better left to the professionals?
I would say you need a lift. Could it be done on the ground? Yes. Should it be up .... YES. I could have but to get this car "up enough" is a chore to have room to maneuver ....... if yer 25 and have no money or experience let someone else do it. I paid $150 and am not sad as I got to spend that 2 hours with my bride of of 30 years. ;)

SS

Anurag Sodhi

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hi

I am getting the installation done through an independent mechanic. Today, he was able to put 5/6 collars in the front subframe. For the the last one, the bolt didn't go in and now the front 2 threads look damaged. He said he'll fix the threads tomorrow and get them in. Till then he has tightened the other 5 to 105 ft-lb and I am driving around with 5 bolts in the front sub frame. He hasn't started the rear portion till now.

Any suggestions?
sub frame bolt pic:
https://imgur.com/gallery/UEVz8

Last edited:

sluggo

Registered Member
I noticed on the yootoob that there was a video showing an installation where the technician installed the collar such that the flange on the collar was effectively a washer between the bolt's flange and the subframe.

Please confirm for me that this is incorrect! Using the collar this way will invalidate the factory torque specs on the bolts and could be very dangerous, as the aluminum could easily deconstruct when twisted between two steel surfaces like this.

The flange on the collar is supposed to fit as a "gap-filler" between the subframe and the chassis, yes?

TheDr9669

Registered Member
I noticed on the yootoob that there was a video showing an installation where the technician installed the collar such that the flange on the collar was effectively a washer between the bolt's flange and the subframe.

Please confirm for me that this is incorrect! Using the collar this way will invalidate the factory torque specs on the bolts and could be very dangerous, as the aluminum could easily deconstruct when twisted between two steel surfaces like this.

The flange on the collar is supposed to fit as a "gap-filler" between the subframe and the chassis, yes?
What you described in the video sounds incorrect. When I installed my Rigid Collars they were installed between the frame and sub-frame. If I remember correctly, there were a few of the collars that if installed as you described, would not go completely thru the mounting holes; Leaving the bolt/hole in the same (not rigid) condition the collars were meant to correct. Also, per Uniq's web site: "This fits between the moving panels and with a properly sized bolt...". It does not describe these as bolt washers.
The install described in the video sounds half assed and a waste of money and time, IMHO.

sluggo

Registered Member
What you described in the video sounds incorrect. When I installed my Rigid Collars they were installed between the frame and sub-frame. If I remember correctly, there were a few of the collars that if installed as you described, would not go completely thru the mounting holes; Leaving the bolt/hole in the same (not rigid) condition the collars were meant to correct. Also, per Uniq's web site: "This fits between the moving panels and with a properly sized bolt...". It does not describe these as bolt washers.
The install described in the video sounds half assed and a waste of money and time, IMHO.
Thanks DR. When I watched the video I thought "this can't be right", so it's good to hear confirmation. I've got the collars from Uniq and plan to have them installed in a few days. Looking forward to fewer bump-steer events down the road. Thanks again.

Take a look at this video starting at 2:20 in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gY1JJXuooc&t=18s

Thread starter #52

flynblind

Been here awhile...
Apparently. photobucket changed and is requiring money now. Since all of the images have disappeared. Here they are in a basic dump. I will try to get them in order, so if a nice webmaster could allow me to edit my original post or wants to add the pictures in normally. that would be great!

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Not to be picky, but those pictures show an incorrect instillation of the Rigid Collars. They are supposed to go between the sub frames and body mounts. They are not supposed to merely act as washers to the bolts. (See the posts right above yours)
So which way did you end up installing them?

This video explains very well why the collars for the genesis are installed a bit differently from the more traditional collars you might be thinking of (spoon rigid collars for a honda). First 3 minutes of vid and a good visual example starting at about 6:45

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.